Northeast Utilities

Updated October 22, 2014
2.1

Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May
Thomas J. May

Pros
  • Used to have flex hours for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • All of Northeast Utilities has been turned upside down since the merger with NSTAR (in 6 reviews)

• They are constantly downsizing based on current upper management strategy (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, potential for growth is low for entry level engineers in energy efficiency, but an educating experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Northeast Utilities as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Sheer amount of projects, friendly staff, contacts with vendors and contractors

Cons

You can't get converted to full time from a contractor position very easily

Please hire international students for engineering positions!!!

It was a great a place to work at... but all that changed significantly with the merger!

Former Employee - IT Worker in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - IT Worker in Windsor, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Although limited to the fact there was little people turnover, there was some opportunity to learn and move around within the company. The overall compensation package offered were very competitive with the industry.

Cons

Basically, the merger with N-Star was nicknamed the "Death-Star"! The culture got thrown out the window and leadership used the merger as an opportunity to outsource and let people go... very sad for people that spent a good part of their lives there.

Advice - hurry up and retire! Current leadership = No leadership - Only interested in the mighty $$$$.

absolutely horrible for over 30 years and getting worse

Current Employee - Meter Service Mechanic in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Meter Service Mechanic in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

it's a paycheck. The company just cut many of managements benefits, including taking away sick time, eliminating overtime pay and reducing paid holidays

Cons

every day is a challenge, anybody with any kind of tenure can't wait to retire, they have outsourced many jobs, the culture is doom and gloom. no one is happy here anymore

Go back to Boston where you came from, you have done a good job of ruining a good company and you're fleecing the company then you all leave

I was contract Customer Service representative for 4 months.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH

I worked at Northeast Utilities as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Peers were extremely nice and helpful. Very professional culture with a family feeling.

Cons

We were hired for a very specific influx of calls they were expecting, so training was very shortened and although the trainers were excellent they had no clear lead to how much we were expected to know. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my short contract, it was kind of sad to see every department outsourced and no cohesion between them. So customer service doing one thing and collections completely overturning their work...and the confusion goes on.

Although outsourcing may seem to be helping the bottom line, the quality of service definitely drops, no matter how hard you try to quality control. A lot of good sincere work comes from knowing you're part of the big family. Third party companies will never have that quality and there will always be tension between the two companies each blaming the other.

Worst job of my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1) Pretty good benefits.
    2) If you want a work environment where you can do the same thing for years on end without having to learn a lot of new skills, this may be a good place for you.

Cons

1) Most unfriendly, uncollegial place I've ever worked.
    2) Very hierarchical. From my experience, a few people make all the decisions. Everyone else gets in line and does grunt work.
    3) People were generally very dull. I've never been somewhere I had less to talk about with my coworkers.

You can ignore culture, but eventually it will catch up to you and you'll get burned.

Stay Away from NU! Run as fast as you can!!

Former Employee - IT Support in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I would have given this company 0 stars, but there was not an option.

When I was hired (before the merger) the company was ethical, valued and respected employees, communicated to the workforce and was committed to the public and it's customers. It's mission statement and values were reflected in it's actions - "do the right thing". Employees trusted management and were proud to represent an honest company with integrity. Employees took pride in their work and most gave 110%, whether they were asked to, or not. That was BEFORE the merger with NStar.

Cons

NU employees were excited about welcoming our new co-workers from Boston. We were told internally that NU would be "bigger and better" for both the employees and the customers. There was a lot of positive hype about our merger and were told internally (and also via the media) that there would be no outsourcing and duplicate jobs would be managed by natural attrition (retirement). Vote "Yes" for the merger!! Boy, were we were naive.

After all the excitement, on Day One of the merger, NStar quickly took over communications and shut it down. We didn't know what was going on (and this continues to be the case). We weren't able to meet our new coworkers for over a year. Some were suspicious, but most of us thought that management was busy trying to get everything straightened out.

Then came the layoffs - all over the company. They layed off people just a few days from full pensions (I've heard some other heartless tales about HR as well, but can't confirm them). NStar quickly began cutting benefits for employees - particularly where you HAVE to work Storm Duty 12/7 WITHOUT pay.

NStar has outsourced every job they possibly can - from HR to Customer Service and IT. Department budgets have been slashed and there's no development opportunities for employees. The awful thing is, the company was doing well - financially and the stock was fine as well.

Welcome to America where CEOs profit in the million and employees are not valued and are thrown away like nuts and bolts.

Communicate openly to employees. Stop manipulating the truth when you do communicate. Better yet, resign.

Contract work

I worked at Northeast Utilities

Pros

Pay was decent. The office was comfortable.

Cons

Full timers are cliquey. They are the insiders. Everybody else is an outsider and they make sure you know it.

Not as advertised

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent working hours (depending on responsibility)

Cons

I joined NU after the merger and from what I understand the company has taken a turn for the worse, many long tenured employees share the same sentiment of displeasure. In my time, management demonstrated lack of support, training, and integrity with its staff. Pay is not worth the aggravation or the responsibilities expected. Leadership can not be trusted and its 'decision making' is highly questionable at best.

If you're disliked this company will replace you regardless if you meet all their requirements and are able to perform your daily functions.

Management needs to reevaluate its decision makers and analyze why the culture has taken a turn for the worse.

Interning for a sister company of Northeast Utilities, PSNH, was a great experience

Current Employee - Field Technician in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Northeast Utilities as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

I have not worked for the company long enough, but the merger with NSTAR has brought some changes not favored by the current employees such as cuts in benefits.

PSNH has already a very welcoming working environment. Everyone seems to get along greatly. I would encourage the management to make the working environment even more welcoming.

Not a bad place to work... until the merger.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation is competitive, as are the benefits.
    There's a lot of nice people in the company.

Cons

Speaking as an ex-customer service rep, once the merger went through the writing was on the wall. An attempt to unionize was made in the call center, during this time we met with every manager in the place about 3 times a week where they would all smile as big as they could muster and tell us "Don't you trust us?", "We just want to be able to talk face to face, not through some intermediary.", "We want you all to take an active role in our decisions, our doors are always open."
    Their smiles must have tricked enough people because the union was not voted in. Once the votes were in, immediately an entire week of vacation was dropped, huge sections of the company were done away with and outsourced, and personal/sick time was done away with completely. Needless to say, they didn't discuss any of this with us.

The balance between family and work at this job is laid out pretty simply. The balance is that you had better be ready to bend over backwards to accommodate this place, but they will have absolutely no flexibility for you or your family. If you're sick and you call out, you'll never hear the end of it. It WILL be on your reviews and it WILL reflect negatively upon you, no matter if you have doctors notes and no matter how horrible and contagious your particular malady was. Also, since despite it being 2014 and there exists countless viable work-at-home solutions, management is not interested in implementing one due to a perceived possible drop in productivity. And, to add insult to injury, if you wake up one morning with strep throat and pink eye and force yourself to go into work in the middle of a nor'easter with 3 feet of snow already on the ground, you'll walk in the door and possibly have one of many, many meetings they hold to remind you, ad nauseam, that safety is their #1 priority. Let's be honest, if you're willing to let me drive in a deadly storm, during which local authorities are imploring people to, please, stay in their homes, rather than get some work-at-home software, we have to admit it's, at most, your #2 priority in the very best of circumstances.

As far as your job (in customer service, anyway), I hope you like being micromanaged. Thanks to a QA program put into place by new management every word customer service says is scrutinized, everything they say is scripted, and the only thing they don't really have to do much of these days is satisfy the customer, as saying the right pre-scripted things at the right times will be enough to allow them to pass their evaluations. The QA program is a big hit with upper management who havent' even touched a phone for at least 5 years, if ever, but of all the people who actually understand the job, that being all call center reps, and every single supervisor in the place that I've talked to has empathized, at one point or another, with how asinine and mismanaged the entire system is. Unfortunately, communication from the QA department is minimal, and poorly conveys what reps are and are not allowed to say or do and the erratic outsourced QA company doesn't help things because they'll mark something reps are doing as "correct" one day only to suddenly start marking it as "wrong" the next day.

And, of course, your bathroom time will be closely monitored, because you are, apparently, 6.

They have a forum that employees can submit suggestions or feedback to. Any minor suggestions that cost little-to-nothing are implemented, then paraded around as proof that management listens to feedback. Larger changes that actually matter only get replies like "We are not looking into that at this time" or something equally dismissive.

Employees aren't robots, customers aren't cattle from which you can milk money, and "safety" isn't a magic word that accomplishes something merely by chanting it repeatedly.
    Bring the company back up to its previous standards.