Northeast Utilities

Be The First To
Add Photos

Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May

Thomas J. May

Pros:
  • "Used to have flex hours for work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Since the merger with NStar the company has gone down hill"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Work life balance, while strained in the old NU, is now almost nonexistent with little flexibility in most business areas"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good electric utility, avoid Transmission Group

Manchester, NH

ProsOpportunities for growth, ever changing, great variety of work, wonderful customers

ConsLeadership is lacking with new regime (growth problem), lower perceived value of long term employees, new mantra "work the job not the hours", plenty of unpaid overtime available / required

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back and review 'do more with less', clean out useless programs and processes, outsource less (bottom line might look good but total costs are rising)

Merger destroyed corporate culture

Business Applications Systems Developer II (Former Employee)
    Berlin, CT

ProsIt's a stable industry, and there is some pay for on-call duty. Depending on the job there is also some opportunity for travel to satellite campuses.

ConsThe merger with N-Star sent the company into what felt like a death spiral. N-Star's philosophy is to use contractors for everything, so as soon as the company's promise to not lay off employees for a year after the merger has expired more than half of the company's employees were laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to encourage professional growth in employees and try to find some wiggle room in the official guidelines.

Internship Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- People working there are great
    - Great team atmosphere
    - Supervisors are helpful
    - Many opportunities to learn
    - Paid well

Cons- very bureaucratic, hard to get things done sometimes because of all the red tape

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at bad places then I worked here

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Windsor, CT

ProsThere are very few. The people I work with are great and we all get along. We want to see each other succeed.

ConsThe merger with NStar has killed the company. They lack vision and believe in outsourcing and temps. It is hard to move up because of downsizing and they move people up based on seniority. Their are talented people who leave and the motto is screw up to move up. Management never tells us what is happening and the rumor mill is always right. They use smoke and mirrors to show great earnings to inflate the stock price. Basically this is a place if they hire you plan on moving on in a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a updated business strategy and stop thinking in the 1980's. Better yet, leave the company.

Good until merger, poor since then

IT Business Applications Systems Developer (Current Employee)
    Berlin, CT

Proscompensation and benefits are good

Conslayoffs and outsourcing becoming the norm

Human Resources Co-Op

Human Resources Co-Op (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsFirst off, I'd like to note that I am currently working for Northeast Utilities in a co-op (intern) capacity, and this is my first 40hr a week position out of college. I work out of the NSTAR location in MA. For me, this has been an eye-opening experience. For someone who knew close to nothing about how utility companies operated, I felt like my knowledge expanded in all aspects about the company. My position was primarily recruitment, giving presentations, and job postings. The longer I spent working there, the more responsibilities I was given. Being in HR, I was able to work with managers and employees from both the Gas and Electric fields of the utility side, as well as various manager and employees from our different corporate sections. If you are looking for a company who does a great job with investing in their employees, and provides several outlets for personal and professional growth, I would highly recommend looking at a career with NU.

ConsWith any merger between two companies, there is always some issues with synergy. I have noticed a few problems with getting former NSTAR and current NU employees on the same page with different types of computer software/programs, but it has been improving since I have started working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managers in this company do a great job working with their subordinates. My personal experience with my manager has been great. Being a co-op, I was introduced to the company with plenty of work. Not once did I feel like I was over my head, but still felt challenged enough where I knew it was beneficial.

decent pay, great benefits

Prosbenefits are great, pay is decent

Consmicomanged, constantly being watched, nstar took away perks

Awesome Company to work for!

ProsI've been with the Company for 34 years. I'm so thankful to have such a great job with great pay and excellent benefits. I love the fact that management wants what's best for our customers.

ConsI have nothing to complain about. There are so many people out there looking for work. I'm just so happy that I have a place to go to every day where I can contribute and feel like I make a difference! Thank you!!!

A good thing gone bad.

Technician (Former Employee)
    Berlin, CT

ProsThe people of IT at NU are some of the nicest, and closest knit people I have ever worked with.
    The benefits are on the higher side.

ConsThe recent choice to outsource their IT department has gutted the department of quality people.
    What was once a respected IT workforce is now a shell of its former self.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the dark ages, and get with the program on what it takes to have successful modern tech employees. A good balance between local talent and off-shore help is the answer, not a majority of the work being shipped over seas.

The most aweful moral you can imagine.

ProsI will get a pension and a 401k. My benefits used to be good. Vacation time away from this place is the best PRO

ConsContractors working and disturbing CLP crews and job safety .

Advice to Senior ManagementYou took our loyalty to you and wiped your butt with it. Good luck the next few years getting lights back on.

Worked for Northeast Utilities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northeast Utilities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Northeast Utilities employees.