Northeast Utilities Reviews

Reset
5.0
Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May
Thomas J. May

Pros
  • Used to have flex hours for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the merger with NStar the company has gone down hill (in 6 reviews)

• Since the merger little or no career opportunities for seasoned employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Why not work here

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

NU is willing to embrace ideas to better it's stance as a leader in customer service. Working along side smart individuals and given the ability to make a contribution is a reward within its self

Cons

It is a regulated industry , some changes are forced.

Advice to Management

Always looking for employes to step up. There seems to be always an opportunity for advancement.

2. Human Resources Co-Op

Current Intern - Human Resources Co-Op in Westwood, MA
    Current Intern - Human Resources Co-Op in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Northeast Utilities as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

First off, I'd like to note that I am currently working for Northeast Utilities in a co-op (intern) capacity, and this is my first 40hr a week position out of college. I work out of the NSTAR location in MA. For me, this has been an eye-opening experience. For someone who knew close to nothing about how utility companies operated, I felt like my knowledge expanded in all aspects about the company. My position was primarily recruitment, giving presentations, and job postings. The longer I spent working there, the more responsibilities I was given. Being in HR, I was able to work with managers and employees from both the Gas and Electric fields of the utility side, as well as various manager and employees from our different corporate sections. If you are looking for a company who does a great job with investing in their employees, and provides several outlets for personal and professional growth, I would highly recommend looking at a career with NU.

Cons

With any merger between two companies, there is always some issues with synergy. I have noticed a few problems with getting former NSTAR and current NU employees on the same page with different types of computer software/programs, but it has been improving since I have started working there.

Advice to Management

The managers in this company do a great job working with their subordinates. My personal experience with my manager has been great. Being a co-op, I was introduced to the company with plenty of work. Not once did I feel like I was over my head, but still felt challenged enough where I knew it was beneficial.

3. Awesome Company to work for!

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the Company for 34 years. I'm so thankful to have such a great job with great pay and excellent benefits. I love the fact that management wants what's best for our customers.

Cons

I have nothing to complain about. There are so many people out there looking for work. I'm just so happy that I have a place to go to every day where I can contribute and feel like I make a difference! Thank you!!!

5. Business Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with this company a number of years. The company is changing after the merger, so you need to be okay with change. Energy and NU are the place to be. Management is doing a great job running a financially response public company looking to reduce cost.

Cons

Some folks can be slow to change.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Driving the new company to a new level of performance!

6. excellent place to be an engineer

Pros

interesting and meaningful work. fun people to work with and great managers (in engineering - i don't know about the other departments). they also pay well to new graduates.

Cons

really none. enjoy my workplace, colleagues, atmosphere at work, everything great. they treat young people very well, including people fresh out of college, and they will try to keep you.

7. summer accounting internship

Former Intern - Property Tax Intern in Berlin, CT
    Former Intern - Property Tax Intern in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-learn from the best -given a lot of responsibility within the 12-week period -good pay for an intern and they set you up with a 401k -I've heard that many of the interns are offered full-time upon graduation

Cons

-male-dominated environment -interns can be clicky

8. One of the best corporations to work for in Connecticut

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT

Pros

Very reasonable work/life balance, with a few weekends and late nights here and there Excellent benefits, bonuses, raises, and matching contributions Layoffs are extremely rare Very friendly, down-to-earth people Type B personalities can succeed just fine No pressure to kill yourself for promotion Very relaxed enivronment

Cons

Extremely antiquated software applications (circa 1990) Seniority is valued a bit too much; can get away with anything Promotions are extremely few and far between Virtually half of the employees have been there for 30+ years (could be a Pro, too) Change is not welcome; stuck in their old ways

9. Warm, friendly culture

Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Berlin, CT

Pros

People are warm and friendly. You notice it just by walking around. Technologically solid IT department.

Cons

Whispers of management politics and lack of trust from upper management.

RSS Feed </> Embed