Northeast Utilities Reviews

Reset
2.2
Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May
Thomas J. May

Pros
  • Used to have flex hours for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the merger with NStar the company has gone down hill (in 6 reviews)

• Since the merger little or no career opportunities for seasoned employees (in 5 reviews)

Customer Service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities

Pros

Mirco Managing and Mirco Managing

Cons

Good pay lots of overtime

Advice to Management

More trainging for everyone. be nicer higher within. More training be nicer to everyone needs union raining to long in depth

Training Instructor showed favoritism & reprehensible attitude . Quote " I dont want to have to kill you regarding error

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor Locks, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor Locks, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities

Pros

Benefits pretty decent and bonuses ok...thats about it.

Cons

Cold atmosphere in building, management has adversarial attitude with employees. Training and quality control people show total favortism and dis-favortism. If they are not your friend you are marked down on calls. Many relatives of career employees hired over other qualified individuals. Was told by employee just before she retired to avoid any classes with a certain instructor-that she was belligerent. Several co workers had problems with this person - but nothings ever happened as 30yr employee.

Advice to Management

Dump some of the management. Dump the adversarial attitutde and start over.

NSTAR merger gone wrong

Current Employee - Corporate Services in Berlin, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Services in Berlin, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

"Legacy" NU was an ethical place to work. Great communication, fiscally responsible, good to workers who genuinely care for customers.

Cons

NU merged with NSTAR who now runs the company (NSTARs executive management). Their "fiscally conservative" stance (see Glass Door's NSTAR review) is more regressive and damaging to than helping efficiency and effectiveness. Top down (rather than collaborative) management approach. Currently laying off workers in corporate who help coordinate work for outages.

Advice to Management

Keep transparency and communications open. Embrace collaboration rather than a militaristic, top-down, "we'll tell if you need to know" management style.

used to be a good place to work, not since April 2012 merger

Former Employee - Internal Consultant in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Internal Consultant in Hartford, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

= formerly a 'family atmosphere'

Cons

- new goal is to cut costs, no regard for customers or employees

Advice to Management

- the state regulators are not happy and CT State Senate is opening an investigation reagrding misrepresentation of merger conditions

Try another utility or energy company; Not here.

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing positive really. Initial pay for the area (central CT) may be OK, but lack of opportunity, advancement and raises hurts. Due to poor economy, not many people are leaving currently but there is much talk about jumping ship when things pick up. Fortunately, NU is a monopoly so they won't go bankrupt, however, there are many larger firms looking to take over NU and terminating all non-union (management) employees.

Cons

Poor "not invented here" management; any change or improvement is unwelcome. Company has history of layoffs every 5 year or so; people live in fear, as word is passed down to newer employees; always the threat of mergers, which has been going on for nearly 20 years (e.g. Con Edison takeover, etc). Much of the Company headquarters building is like something out of the 1930s or WWII. Old, dirty, obsolete and broken down. Favortism abounds. Promotions and raises are rare. VERY arrogant managment says "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". Even mid-level management is old. May have been here for 30 years.

Advice to Management

Management won't be reading this because it's arrogant and doesn't give a darn.

Went From "Great" to "Escape"

Current Employee - IT in Berlin, CT
    Current Employee - IT in Berlin, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are nice. There are still genuine kind people who work there.

Cons

Management does NOT communicate. Many bebefits were taken away (vacation buy, severance lowered, sick time lowered). They are now outsourcing IT so many long time, loyal employees will be rebadged and ultimately let go in 1-2 years.. Tom May (new CEO) is a penny-pinching fool. The company does not do anything for employees and this will ultimately be why they fail in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your foundation. If you treat them with a modicum of respect and act like you value them, you will thrive. However (NATAR executives, I'm directing this to you), if you follow the 1950's hierarchical "do as you are told"/"we'll tell you if you need to know", philosophy, you will never employ the best and brightest, and your employees won't care if they do a great job for your customers, or will have your back. Ultimately you will fail. Learn Leadership skills, not just how to manage a project. Until then, I I urge everyone to stay away from this company.

I have worked at Northeast Utilities for more than 25 years but since the Merger...........

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that we have worked with for many years

Cons

The company used to be a great company. Friendly atmosphere. All of Northeast Utilities has been turned upside down since the merger with NSTAR. This merger had to go through, not because it was best for the 2 companies but what was best for the CEO of The old NU and the CEO of NSTAR now CEO of the New NU. The moment the merger was complete they started the process of outsourcing our jobs to India. They have layed off so many people and reported them as "retired" Is the state (CT) just turning a blind eye? Our jobs our going to be outsourced by the end of the year. I would advise not to join this company. Between the CEO and the CIO you can never tell what they will do next.

Advice to Management

You need to be more honest and upfront vs lying or ignoring our requests for information. These are our lives you are messing with. If you are going to do that then you should at least have the courage to face us. The CIO and CEO are now rewarding people for lying and penalizing those who tell the truth. To Mr. Shivery, I hope all the money you gained for your retirement was worth bringing this company down. To Mr May, you never waste an opportunity to let us know about how you were just a poor kid growing up. Is this what happens to those who find success? Greediness, callous, and selfish. To CIO, Kathy Kountz-Tatum, You are outsourcing our jobs. Stop hiring all your friends. These jobs can go to other talented individuals within the company, it borders on discrimination

Once a great Utility to work for now not so much.

Current Employee - IT Business Solutions Analyst in Berlin, CT
    Current Employee - IT Business Solutions Analyst in Berlin, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Major cost cutting has staff cut to the bone with much of I.T. being outsourced to Indian firms. The companies stock will remain very high as Wall Street is the sole stakeholder of concern for the senior management team.

Cons

The once amazing benefits packages offered by Northeast Utilities have been drastically slashed with trend to using contract workers increasing as with other companies in the utility sector. Major organizational change is occurring and seen as ill-advised by all employees. Take a job at NU with extreme caution and try to negotiate salary before signing on.

Advice to Management

I would advise senior management to toggle back on the outsourcing to non-American firms. The decision to do so is going to be devastating for NU in the long run and the local economy in the short run. Thank you

If you have a college degree look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Health plan is OK ... for now.

Cons

Poor pay for lower tiered salary employees.

Advice to Management

Why not at least offer comp time for overtime worked?

Stay away from this company

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time

Pros

Company headquarters in Berlin, Connecticut is close to excellent shopping and dining.

Cons

Inappropriate interpersonal hostility and public verbal abuse at every level of the company. Disgusting, unsafe physical plant at headquarters in Berlin, Connecticut where the boiler room and other basement corridors with critical pipelines are routinely used as thoroughfares. Antiquated, dysfunctional software and computer security at what is a infrastructure technology company. Sexism is the rule. Do not work here if you are female.

Advice to Management

There is no area of the corporate environment that does not need to be cleaned up. Best to start with a corporate culture that tolerates a hostile work environment unlike anywhere else in corporate America.

RSS Feed </> Embed