Northeast Utilities

Updated December 14, 2014
2.1

Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May
Thomas J. May

Pros
  • Used to have flex hours for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • All of Northeast Utilities has been turned upside down since the merger with NSTAR (in 6 reviews)

• Since the merger little or no career opportunities for seasoned employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a much better company to work for prior to the merger. There is no work life balance or employee perks offered.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and reasonable benefits.

Cons

Benefits constantly being down graded. This company needs to get with the 20th century and offer more telecommuting opportunities. They constantly insist that employee safety is of the upmost importance, then force you to travel in unsafe conditions to storm assignments; with no compensation for management staff. Since the merger little or no career opportunities for seasoned employees. The trend in hiring is young folks willing to work for 1/2 the salary. There is no appreciation for past contributions; the only thing prevailing is the all mighty dollar. Employee moral at an all time low and senior management does not care. There are many very knowledgeable employees leaving for better opportunities.

See the writing on the wall and stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. The employees are fed up.

absolutely horrible for over 30 years and getting worse

Current Employee - Meter Service Mechanic in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Meter Service Mechanic in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

it's a paycheck. The company just cut many of managements benefits, including taking away sick time, eliminating overtime pay and reducing paid holidays

Cons

every day is a challenge, anybody with any kind of tenure can't wait to retire, they have outsourced many jobs, the culture is doom and gloom. no one is happy here anymore

Go back to Boston where you came from, you have done a good job of ruining a good company and you're fleecing the company then you all leave

Worst job of my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1) Pretty good benefits.
    2) If you want a work environment where you can do the same thing for years on end without having to learn a lot of new skills, this may be a good place for you.

Cons

1) Most unfriendly, uncollegial place I've ever worked.
    2) Very hierarchical. From my experience, a few people make all the decisions. Everyone else gets in line and does grunt work.
    3) People were generally very dull. I've never been somewhere I had less to talk about with my coworkers.

You can ignore culture, but eventually it will catch up to you and you'll get burned.

Stay Away from NU! Run as fast as you can!!

Former Employee - IT Support in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I would have given this company 0 stars, but there was not an option.

When I was hired (before the merger) the company was ethical, valued and respected employees, communicated to the workforce and was committed to the public and it's customers. It's mission statement and values were reflected in it's actions - "do the right thing". Employees trusted management and were proud to represent an honest company with integrity. Employees took pride in their work and most gave 110%, whether they were asked to, or not. That was BEFORE the merger with NStar.

Cons

NU employees were excited about welcoming our new co-workers from Boston. We were told internally that NU would be "bigger and better" for both the employees and the customers. There was a lot of positive hype about our merger and were told internally (and also via the media) that there would be no outsourcing and duplicate jobs would be managed by natural attrition (retirement). Vote "Yes" for the merger!! Boy, were we were naive.

After all the excitement, on Day One of the merger, NStar quickly took over communications and shut it down. We didn't know what was going on (and this continues to be the case). We weren't able to meet our new coworkers for over a year. Some were suspicious, but most of us thought that management was busy trying to get everything straightened out.

Then came the layoffs - all over the company. They layed off people just a few days from full pensions (I've heard some other heartless tales about HR as well, but can't confirm them). NStar quickly began cutting benefits for employees - particularly where you HAVE to work Storm Duty 12/7 WITHOUT pay.

NStar has outsourced every job they possibly can - from HR to Customer Service and IT. Department budgets have been slashed and there's no development opportunities for employees. The awful thing is, the company was doing well - financially and the stock was fine as well.

Welcome to America where CEOs profit in the million and employees are not valued and are thrown away like nuts and bolts.

Communicate openly to employees. Stop manipulating the truth when you do communicate. Better yet, resign.

Not as advertised

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent working hours (depending on responsibility)

Cons

I joined NU after the merger and from what I understand the company has taken a turn for the worse, many long tenured employees share the same sentiment of displeasure. In my time, management demonstrated lack of support, training, and integrity with its staff. Pay is not worth the aggravation or the responsibilities expected. Leadership can not be trusted and its 'decision making' is highly questionable at best.

If you're disliked this company will replace you regardless if you meet all their requirements and are able to perform your daily functions.

Management needs to reevaluate its decision makers and analyze why the culture has taken a turn for the worse.

Not a bad place to work... until the merger.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation is competitive, as are the benefits.
    There's a lot of nice people in the company.

Cons

Speaking as an ex-customer service rep, once the merger went through the writing was on the wall. An attempt to unionize was made in the call center, during this time we met with every manager in the place about 3 times a week where they would all smile as big as they could muster and tell us "Don't you trust us?", "We just want to be able to talk face to face, not through some intermediary.", "We want you all to take an active role in our decisions, our doors are always open."
    Their smiles must have tricked enough people because the union was not voted in. Once the votes were in, immediately an entire week of vacation was dropped, huge sections of the company were done away with and outsourced, and personal/sick time was done away with completely. Needless to say, they didn't discuss any of this with us.

The balance between family and work at this job is laid out pretty simply. The balance is that you had better be ready to bend over backwards to accommodate this place, but they will have absolutely no flexibility for you or your family. If you're sick and you call out, you'll never hear the end of it. It WILL be on your reviews and it WILL reflect negatively upon you, no matter if you have doctors notes and no matter how horrible and contagious your particular malady was. Also, since despite it being 2014 and there exists countless viable work-at-home solutions, management is not interested in implementing one due to a perceived possible drop in productivity. And, to add insult to injury, if you wake up one morning with strep throat and pink eye and force yourself to go into work in the middle of a nor'easter with 3 feet of snow already on the ground, you'll walk in the door and possibly have one of many, many meetings they hold to remind you, ad nauseam, that safety is their #1 priority. Let's be honest, if you're willing to let me drive in a deadly storm, during which local authorities are imploring people to, please, stay in their homes, rather than get some work-at-home software, we have to admit it's, at most, your #2 priority in the very best of circumstances.

As far as your job (in customer service, anyway), I hope you like being micromanaged. Thanks to a QA program put into place by new management every word customer service says is scrutinized, everything they say is scripted, and the only thing they don't really have to do much of these days is satisfy the customer, as saying the right pre-scripted things at the right times will be enough to allow them to pass their evaluations. The QA program is a big hit with upper management who havent' even touched a phone for at least 5 years, if ever, but of all the people who actually understand the job, that being all call center reps, and every single supervisor in the place that I've talked to has empathized, at one point or another, with how asinine and mismanaged the entire system is. Unfortunately, communication from the QA department is minimal, and poorly conveys what reps are and are not allowed to say or do and the erratic outsourced QA company doesn't help things because they'll mark something reps are doing as "correct" one day only to suddenly start marking it as "wrong" the next day.

And, of course, your bathroom time will be closely monitored, because you are, apparently, 6.

They have a forum that employees can submit suggestions or feedback to. Any minor suggestions that cost little-to-nothing are implemented, then paraded around as proof that management listens to feedback. Larger changes that actually matter only get replies like "We are not looking into that at this time" or something equally dismissive.

Employees aren't robots, customers aren't cattle from which you can milk money, and "safety" isn't a magic word that accomplishes something merely by chanting it repeatedly.
    Bring the company back up to its previous standards.

Cold

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

no good reasons to work here.

Cons

Management is a bunch of liars and clicks. It's the only thing they do well. To be a supervisor or lead at NU all you need to do is not know how to do your job and you get promoted. Or better yet just be related to another employee and get hired then screw up and get promoted. Let us not forget the number of employees who have added another notch to the bed post.

I really feel all of management needs to resign themselves to the fact they could care less about the customers they say they put first. Management puts the almighty dollar first in their pockets.

At least the Titanic went down quicker

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, that is it

Cons

There is a severe lack of leadership. The upper management only seems to be concerned about what Wall Street thinks and does not listen to the customers or employees. Since the merger with NStar outsourcing has become the norm, even though in the long run it looks it will will cost the company more money. They have outsourced the IT to India and ever since they have there are major network issues almost bi-weekly. The system sill be be unusable for hours at a time. These network issues also effect the website and IVR system. Customers get very upset and angry. They outsourced the payment "lock box" to a firm in Dallas. It can take up to 3 weeks for a customers payment to post and the customer will get hit with late fees. Again the customer are angry and upset. They also outsourced the credit department to a firm called Iqor, who can't do anything right. All in all it is a public relations nightmare. How upper management keeps their jobs is amazing. The middle management is just as bad. They tend to be conformists and never tell us what is going on until after it happens or if the rumor mill is in full swing. Most middle management in my department deflects blame to other employees and will go out of their way not to be accountable for their actions. Promotions are few and very far between, mostly lateral movement between jobs. Unless your a dolt you will not get promoted, Peter Principle in feel effect.

Anyone who says this is a good company to work for is either in the upper management or is lying.

Leave so someone who knows about business can take over.

Executive VPs and CEO line pockets, others get layoffs

Former Employee - Web in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Web in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. It use to be a decent company, but no more since the NStar merger.

Cons

No pertinent communication with employees. The have a weekly e-newsletter which is laughable personal safety tidbits about your grill and how to walk in the snow; Layoffs continue and outsourcing to India for lower salaries and tax havens. No one trusts management because they say one thing and do another. No indication they value employees, in fact they seem to not like employees. No training; no OT storm pay (requiring 12 hour days 24/7); many benefits taken away since merger; HR protect management; MEANWHILE...executives are cashing in their millions in stock and Tom May is sitting pretty.

Shame on you for your lack of ethics. CEO Tom May has tarnished NU's reputation both internally and externally. Congratulations. He and the executive team have destroyed a once hard working, company-centric workforce and created a distrustful environment which is difficult to thrive in. At this point, I don't think the company is recoverable. Most people just want out.

I worked at bad places then I worked here

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are very few. The people I work with are great and we all get along. We want to see each other succeed.

Cons

The merger with NStar has killed the company. They lack vision and believe in outsourcing and temps. It is hard to move up because of downsizing and they move people up based on seniority. Their are talented people who leave and the motto is screw up to move up. Management never tells us what is happening and the rumor mill is always right. They use smoke and mirrors to show great earnings to inflate the stock price. Basically this is a place if they hire you plan on moving on in a year.

Get a updated business strategy and stop thinking in the 1980's. Better yet, leave the company.