Northeast Utilities Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.2

Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May
Thomas J. May

Pros
  • Used to have flex hours for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • All of Northeast Utilities has been turned upside down since the merger with NSTAR (in 4 reviews)

• They are constantly downsizing based on current upper management strategy (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I was contract Customer Service representative for 4 months.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH

I worked at Northeast Utilities as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Peers were extremely nice and helpful. Very professional culture with a family feeling.

Cons

We were hired for a very specific influx of calls they were expecting, so training was very shortened and although the trainers were excellent they had no clear lead to how much we were expected to know. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my short contract, it was kind of sad to see every department outsourced and no cohesion between them. So customer service doing one thing and collections completely overturning their work...and the confusion goes on.

Although outsourcing may seem to be helping the bottom line, the quality of service definitely drops, no matter how hard you try to quality control. A lot of good sincere work comes from knowing you're part of the big family. Third party companies will never have that quality and there will always be tension between the two companies each blaming the other.

Engineer

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

mostly friendly and helpful co-workers,

Cons

they don't care about employees and salary is not the best.

At least the Titanic went down quicker

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, that is it

Cons

There is a severe lack of leadership. The upper management only seems to be concerned about what Wall Street thinks and does not listen to the customers or employees. Since the merger with NStar outsourcing has become the norm, even though in the long run it looks it will will cost the company more money. They have outsourced the IT to India and ever since they have there are major network issues almost bi-weekly. The system sill be be unusable for hours at a time. These network issues also effect the website and IVR system. Customers get very upset and angry. They outsourced the payment "lock box" to a firm in Dallas. It can take up to 3 weeks for a customers payment to post and the customer will get hit with late fees. Again the customer are angry and upset. They also outsourced the credit department to a firm called Iqor, who can't do anything right. All in all it is a public relations nightmare. How upper management keeps their jobs is amazing. The middle management is just as bad. They tend to be conformists and never tell us what is going on until after it happens or if the rumor mill is in full swing. Most middle management in my department deflects blame to other employees and will go out of their way not to be accountable for their actions. Promotions are few and very far between, mostly lateral movement between jobs. Unless your a dolt you will not get promoted, Peter Principle in feel effect.

Anyone who says this is a good company to work for is either in the upper management or is lying.

Leave so someone who knows about business can take over.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, lousy atmosphere

Current Employee - Scheduler  in  Meriden, CT
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Meriden, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are better than average but being reduced.

Cons

There is no trust between union and management. Company seems to prefer to hire from outside instead of promoting from within. Training and advancement opportunities are spotty at best. Senior management is more interested in their multi million dollar stock options than the good of the company.

Take fewer stock options and put that money into operations and employee development.

Interning for a sister company of Northeast Utilities, PSNH, was a great experience

Current Employee - Field Technician  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Northeast Utilities as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Employees are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

I have not worked for the company long enough, but the merger with NSTAR has brought some changes not favored by the current employees such as cuts in benefits.

PSNH has already a very welcoming working environment. Everyone seems to get along greatly. I would encourage the management to make the working environment even more welcoming.

Executive VPs and CEO line pockets, others get layoffs

Former Employee - Web  in  Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Web in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. It use to be a decent company, but no more since the NStar merger.

Cons

No pertinent communication with employees. The have a weekly e-newsletter which is laughable personal safety tidbits about your grill and how to walk in the snow; Layoffs continue and outsourcing to India for lower salaries and tax havens. No one trusts management because they say one thing and do another. No indication they value employees, in fact they seem to not like employees. No training; no OT storm pay (requiring 12 hour days 24/7); many benefits taken away since merger; HR protect management; MEANWHILE...executives are cashing in their millions in stock and Tom May is sitting pretty.

Shame on you for your lack of ethics. CEO Tom May has tarnished NU's reputation both internally and externally. Congratulations. He and the executive team have destroyed a once hard working, company-centric workforce and created a distrustful environment which is difficult to thrive in. At this point, I don't think the company is recoverable. Most people just want out.

purged IT

Former Employee - Business Applications Systems Developer  in  Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Business Applications Systems Developer in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of the people are just plain nice. A lot have worked together for many years, and there can at times be an almost family atmosphere.

Cons

NU (A utility holding company) merged with NSTAR (A utility) a couple of years ago. A holding company and a utility are not the same thing, and have different business models. The new upper management (NSTAR folks) decided to spurn the tried and true shared-service model and outsource all IT to India. The result is layoffs and chaos.

I worked at bad places then I worked here

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are very few. The people I work with are great and we all get along. We want to see each other succeed.

Cons

The merger with NStar has killed the company. They lack vision and believe in outsourcing and temps. It is hard to move up because of downsizing and they move people up based on seniority. Their are talented people who leave and the motto is screw up to move up. Management never tells us what is happening and the rumor mill is always right. They use smoke and mirrors to show great earnings to inflate the stock price. Basically this is a place if they hire you plan on moving on in a year.

Get a updated business strategy and stop thinking in the 1980's. Better yet, leave the company.

Merger destroyed corporate culture

Former Employee - Business Applications Systems Developer II  in  Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Business Applications Systems Developer II in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a stable industry, and there is some pay for on-call duty. Depending on the job there is also some opportunity for travel to satellite campuses.

Cons

The merger with N-Star sent the company into what felt like a death spiral. N-Star's philosophy is to use contractors for everything, so as soon as the company's promise to not lay off employees for a year after the merger has expired more than half of the company's employees were laid off.

Try to encourage professional growth in employees and try to find some wiggle room in the official guidelines.

Good electric utility, avoid Transmission Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for growth, ever changing, great variety of work, wonderful customers

Cons

Leadership is lacking with new regime (growth problem), lower perceived value of long term employees, new mantra "work the job not the hours", plenty of unpaid overtime available / required

Step back and review 'do more with less', clean out useless programs and processes, outsource less (bottom line might look good but total costs are rising)

Worked for Northeast Utilities? Contribute to the Community!