Northeast Utilities

Updated December 14, 2014
2.1

Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May
Thomas J. May

Pros
  • Used to have flex hours for work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Used to be a good company to work for but since the merger everything is going down hill (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • All of Northeast Utilities has been turned upside down since the merger with NSTAR (in 6 reviews)

• Since the merger little or no career opportunities for seasoned employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Contract work

I worked at Northeast Utilities

Pros

Pay was decent. The office was comfortable.

Cons

Full timers are cliquey. They are the insiders. Everybody else is an outsider and they make sure you know it.

Not as advertised

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent working hours (depending on responsibility)

Cons

I joined NU after the merger and from what I understand the company has taken a turn for the worse, many long tenured employees share the same sentiment of displeasure. In my time, management demonstrated lack of support, training, and integrity with its staff. Pay is not worth the aggravation or the responsibilities expected. Leadership can not be trusted and its 'decision making' is highly questionable at best.

If you're disliked this company will replace you regardless if you meet all their requirements and are able to perform your daily functions.

Management needs to reevaluate its decision makers and analyze why the culture has taken a turn for the worse.

Interning for a sister company of Northeast Utilities, PSNH, was a great experience

Current Employee - Field Technician in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Northeast Utilities as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

I have not worked for the company long enough, but the merger with NSTAR has brought some changes not favored by the current employees such as cuts in benefits.

PSNH has already a very welcoming working environment. Everyone seems to get along greatly. I would encourage the management to make the working environment even more welcoming.

Not a bad place to work... until the merger.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, NH

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation is competitive, as are the benefits.
    There's a lot of nice people in the company.

Cons

Speaking as an ex-customer service rep, once the merger went through the writing was on the wall. An attempt to unionize was made in the call center, during this time we met with every manager in the place about 3 times a week where they would all smile as big as they could muster and tell us "Don't you trust us?", "We just want to be able to talk face to face, not through some intermediary.", "We want you all to take an active role in our decisions, our doors are always open."
    Their smiles must have tricked enough people because the union was not voted in. Once the votes were in, immediately an entire week of vacation was dropped, huge sections of the company were done away with and outsourced, and personal/sick time was done away with completely. Needless to say, they didn't discuss any of this with us.

The balance between family and work at this job is laid out pretty simply. The balance is that you had better be ready to bend over backwards to accommodate this place, but they will have absolutely no flexibility for you or your family. If you're sick and you call out, you'll never hear the end of it. It WILL be on your reviews and it WILL reflect negatively upon you, no matter if you have doctors notes and no matter how horrible and contagious your particular malady was. Also, since despite it being 2014 and there exists countless viable work-at-home solutions, management is not interested in implementing one due to a perceived possible drop in productivity. And, to add insult to injury, if you wake up one morning with strep throat and pink eye and force yourself to go into work in the middle of a nor'easter with 3 feet of snow already on the ground, you'll walk in the door and possibly have one of many, many meetings they hold to remind you, ad nauseam, that safety is their #1 priority. Let's be honest, if you're willing to let me drive in a deadly storm, during which local authorities are imploring people to, please, stay in their homes, rather than get some work-at-home software, we have to admit it's, at most, your #2 priority in the very best of circumstances.

As far as your job (in customer service, anyway), I hope you like being micromanaged. Thanks to a QA program put into place by new management every word customer service says is scrutinized, everything they say is scripted, and the only thing they don't really have to do much of these days is satisfy the customer, as saying the right pre-scripted things at the right times will be enough to allow them to pass their evaluations. The QA program is a big hit with upper management who havent' even touched a phone for at least 5 years, if ever, but of all the people who actually understand the job, that being all call center reps, and every single supervisor in the place that I've talked to has empathized, at one point or another, with how asinine and mismanaged the entire system is. Unfortunately, communication from the QA department is minimal, and poorly conveys what reps are and are not allowed to say or do and the erratic outsourced QA company doesn't help things because they'll mark something reps are doing as "correct" one day only to suddenly start marking it as "wrong" the next day.

And, of course, your bathroom time will be closely monitored, because you are, apparently, 6.

They have a forum that employees can submit suggestions or feedback to. Any minor suggestions that cost little-to-nothing are implemented, then paraded around as proof that management listens to feedback. Larger changes that actually matter only get replies like "We are not looking into that at this time" or something equally dismissive.

Employees aren't robots, customers aren't cattle from which you can milk money, and "safety" isn't a magic word that accomplishes something merely by chanting it repeatedly.
    Bring the company back up to its previous standards.

Cold

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

no good reasons to work here.

Cons

Management is a bunch of liars and clicks. It's the only thing they do well. To be a supervisor or lead at NU all you need to do is not know how to do your job and you get promoted. Or better yet just be related to another employee and get hired then screw up and get promoted. Let us not forget the number of employees who have added another notch to the bed post.

I really feel all of management needs to resign themselves to the fact they could care less about the customers they say they put first. Management puts the almighty dollar first in their pockets.

Engineer

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

mostly friendly and helpful co-workers,

Cons

they don't care about employees and salary is not the best.

Good pay, lousy atmosphere

Current Employee - Scheduler in Meriden, CT
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Meriden, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, benefits are better than average but being reduced.

Cons

There is no trust between union and management. Company seems to prefer to hire from outside instead of promoting from within. Training and advancement opportunities are spotty at best. Senior management is more interested in their multi million dollar stock options than the good of the company.

Take fewer stock options and put that money into operations and employee development.

At least the Titanic went down quicker

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, that is it

Cons

There is a severe lack of leadership. The upper management only seems to be concerned about what Wall Street thinks and does not listen to the customers or employees. Since the merger with NStar outsourcing has become the norm, even though in the long run it looks it will will cost the company more money. They have outsourced the IT to India and ever since they have there are major network issues almost bi-weekly. The system sill be be unusable for hours at a time. These network issues also effect the website and IVR system. Customers get very upset and angry. They outsourced the payment "lock box" to a firm in Dallas. It can take up to 3 weeks for a customers payment to post and the customer will get hit with late fees. Again the customer are angry and upset. They also outsourced the credit department to a firm called Iqor, who can't do anything right. All in all it is a public relations nightmare. How upper management keeps their jobs is amazing. The middle management is just as bad. They tend to be conformists and never tell us what is going on until after it happens or if the rumor mill is in full swing. Most middle management in my department deflects blame to other employees and will go out of their way not to be accountable for their actions. Promotions are few and very far between, mostly lateral movement between jobs. Unless your a dolt you will not get promoted, Peter Principle in feel effect.

Anyone who says this is a good company to work for is either in the upper management or is lying.

Leave so someone who knows about business can take over.

purged IT

Former Employee - Business Applications Systems Developer in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Business Applications Systems Developer in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are just plain nice. A lot have worked together for many years, and there can at times be an almost family atmosphere.

Cons

NU (A utility holding company) merged with NSTAR (A utility) a couple of years ago. A holding company and a utility are not the same thing, and have different business models. The new upper management (NSTAR folks) decided to spurn the tried and true shared-service model and outsource all IT to India. The result is layoffs and chaos.

Executive VPs and CEO line pockets, others get layoffs

Former Employee - Web in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - Web in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. It use to be a decent company, but no more since the NStar merger.

Cons

No pertinent communication with employees. The have a weekly e-newsletter which is laughable personal safety tidbits about your grill and how to walk in the snow; Layoffs continue and outsourcing to India for lower salaries and tax havens. No one trusts management because they say one thing and do another. No indication they value employees, in fact they seem to not like employees. No training; no OT storm pay (requiring 12 hour days 24/7); many benefits taken away since merger; HR protect management; MEANWHILE...executives are cashing in their millions in stock and Tom May is sitting pretty.

Shame on you for your lack of ethics. CEO Tom May has tarnished NU's reputation both internally and externally. Congratulations. He and the executive team have destroyed a once hard working, company-centric workforce and created a distrustful environment which is difficult to thrive in. At this point, I don't think the company is recoverable. Most people just want out.