Northeast Utilities Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Comrade within co-workers is great. Company is making strides towards an improved customer engagement process. Also making cost conscious decisions for long term sustainability.

Cons

Company still is not open to work from home, especially for technical and analytic jobs that very well may be done independently in front of a computer

Advice to Management

Invest in technology that allows better interaction between different offices via webex, etc. Allow work from home to attract the younger workforce or growing families (w/ kids)

Once a great experience turned bad quickly after NStar merger

Former Employee - IT Business Applications Systems Developer (BASD) in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Pay was ok, good benefits.
    - Used to train employees

Cons

- Incompetent management (CTO, IT Directors and management)
    - Top down management style of "Do what we say and don't question us" from the CTO down
    - CTO is a puppet that does whatever the CEO wants or whatever the overpriced consultants tell her to do
    - Management is incapable of telling the truth and have fostered a culture of deceit and animosity between employees and management..
    - Outsource, outsource, outsource is their motto now - focus on pennies and squeezing as much out of employees as possible.
    - Taking away employee benefits - flexible vacation time, remote work possibilities, training
    - New CTO is unapproachable and has a "if you don't like it - there's the door" mentality

Advice to Management

Won't make a difference - they'll do what the overpriced consultants tell them to do - really forward thinking guys.

Once a great place...

I have been working at Northeast Utilities

Pros

great coworkers and decent pay.

Cons

Once the company merged with Nstar in Mass. It all went down hill. The took a week of bought vacation away and outsourced work to centers in Ohio and North Carolina. I no longer would recommend this as a place to work. All signs point to the call center eventually being closed.

Great coworkers - Weak + Uncaring Leadership

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time

Pros

Benefits were good, pay scale at average

Cons

No accomodations or compensation for overtime for salaried employees having to work excessive work hours. 50 or more not unheard of. Leadership is weak. Mantra is "work the work, not the hours". No consideration for anyone being overloaded, if it takes more than a 40 hour week, OT without pay is expected.

Advice to Management

Become more aware of the 'yes' men middle management practices. Causes tremendous pressure and dissatisfaction for the real doers.

It was a great a place to work at... but all that changed significantly with the merger!

Former Employee - IT Worker in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - IT Worker in Windsor, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Although limited to the fact there was little people turnover, there was some opportunity to learn and move around within the company. The overall compensation package offered were very competitive with the industry.

Cons

Basically, the merger with N-Star was nicknamed the "Death-Star"! The culture got thrown out the window and leadership used the merger as an opportunity to outsource and let people go... very sad for people that spent a good part of their lives there.

Advice to Management

Advice - hurry up and retire! Current leadership = No leadership - Only interested in the mighty $$$$.

Was a much better company to work for prior to the merger. There is no work life balance or employee perks offered.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay and reasonable benefits.

Cons

Benefits constantly being down graded. This company needs to get with the 20th century and offer more telecommuting opportunities. They constantly insist that employee safety is of the upmost importance, then force you to travel in unsafe conditions to storm assignments; with no compensation for management staff. Since the merger little or no career opportunities for seasoned employees. The trend in hiring is young folks willing to work for 1/2 the salary. There is no appreciation for past contributions; the only thing prevailing is the all mighty dollar. Employee moral at an all time low and senior management does not care. There are many very knowledgeable employees leaving for better opportunities.

Advice to Management

See the writing on the wall and stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. The employees are fed up.

absolutely horrible for over 30 years and getting worse

Current Employee - Meter Service Mechanic in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Meter Service Mechanic in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

it's a paycheck. The company just cut many of managements benefits, including taking away sick time, eliminating overtime pay and reducing paid holidays

Cons

every day is a challenge, anybody with any kind of tenure can't wait to retire, they have outsourced many jobs, the culture is doom and gloom. no one is happy here anymore

Advice to Management

Go back to Boston where you came from, you have done a good job of ruining a good company and you're fleecing the company then you all leave

Worst job of my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westwood, MA

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Pretty good benefits.
    2) If you want a work environment where you can do the same thing for years on end without having to learn a lot of new skills, this may be a good place for you.

Cons

1) Most unfriendly, uncollegial place I've ever worked.
    2) Very hierarchical. From my experience, a few people make all the decisions. Everyone else gets in line and does grunt work.
    3) People were generally very dull. I've never been somewhere I had less to talk about with my coworkers.

Advice to Management

You can ignore culture, but eventually it will catch up to you and you'll get burned.

Stay Away from NU! Run as fast as you can!!

Former Employee - IT Support in Berlin, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support in Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would have given this company 0 stars, but there was not an option.

When I was hired (before the merger) the company was ethical, valued and respected employees, communicated to the workforce and was committed to the public and it's customers. It's mission statement and values were reflected in it's actions - "do the right thing". Employees trusted management and were proud to represent an honest company with integrity. Employees took pride in their work and most gave 110%, whether they were asked to, or not. That was BEFORE the merger with NStar.

Cons

NU employees were excited about welcoming our new co-workers from Boston. We were told internally that NU would be "bigger and better" for both the employees and the customers. There was a lot of positive hype about our merger and were told internally (and also via the media) that there would be no outsourcing and duplicate jobs would be managed by natural attrition (retirement). Vote "Yes" for the merger!! Boy, were we were naive.

After all the excitement, on Day One of the merger, NStar quickly took over communications and shut it down. We didn't know what was going on (and this continues to be the case). We weren't able to meet our new coworkers for over a year. Some were suspicious, but most of us thought that management was busy trying to get everything straightened out.

Then came the layoffs - all over the company. They layed off people just a few days from full pensions (I've heard some other heartless tales about HR as well, but can't confirm them). NStar quickly began cutting benefits for employees - particularly where you HAVE to work Storm Duty 12/7 WITHOUT pay.

NStar has outsourced every job they possibly can - from HR to Customer Service and IT. Department budgets have been slashed and there's no development opportunities for employees. The awful thing is, the company was doing well - financially and the stock was fine as well.

Welcome to America where CEOs profit in the million and employees are not valued and are thrown away like nuts and bolts.

Advice to Management

Communicate openly to employees. Stop manipulating the truth when you do communicate. Better yet, resign.

Contract work

I worked at Northeast Utilities

Pros

Pay was decent. The office was comfortable.

Cons

Full timers are cliquey. They are the insiders. Everybody else is an outsider and they make sure you know it.

RSS Feed </> Embed