Northeastern Illinois University

Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

personal growth, training and office culture

Cons

about benefits, promotions, hard to find jobs

The best supervises I worked with in the positions at Northeastern Illinois University.

Former Employee - Office Support Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Support Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had great supervise, who went the extra mile to assistant me I learn new skills for the position. I was accommodate, fits into my schedule while I were studying. The people I work with were the best part of this company and encouraging.

Cons

Their were professional leadership among the people I work with. I enjoy work position it's were exciting to learn the job requirement and I enjoy working and studying with diversity.

The management I worked with always put forward in assistant employee with new learn tools for new skills

Politics galore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The students, hands down. Most were truly awesome. A lot of the faculty were great. Some of the staff was awesome.

Cons

One of the biggest problems is that they do not value their employees and instead promote and keep around toxic employees, vs. those that work hard. The leadership is horrible. The union is strong, and therefore there are many many many people working there that should have been fired many years ago.

Fire the people that you know need to be let go. Promote those who bust their butts to assist the students. Require students to declare a major by sophomore year.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corruption U

Current Employee - FULL PROFESSOR  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - FULL PROFESSOR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northeastern Illinois University full-time

Pros

Many of the students and faculty are very good.

Cons

Administration is sketchy at best. The culture is what you would expect in the most corrupt state in the nation.

Resign and let a new group try to improve the place.

Good Students, nice faculty, lousy raises.

Current Employee - Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northeastern Illinois University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you know how to work the system you can get ahead without being a total brown noser.

Great union!
    Great benefits, including free education.
    Students are humble and awesome!

Cons

Hard to get a raise. The university seems to always be broke, but we keep hiring VPs and directors. One, very small unit, has 5 directors. so unnecessary.

Utilize the staff that you already have. elevate them to higher administrative roles.

bittersweet

I have been working at Northeastern Illinois University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The faculty/staff and the students are a unique and diverse group of people. The university is onto big and beautiful things and is taking the right steps to get there.

Cons

Certain staff get walked over, over worked and under appreciated. This makes morale hard within the university and allows staff to allow themselves to perform their jobs mediocre at best.

Listen. Listen to the staff who are below you and communicate with your middle managers.

Typical State Run Bureaucracy

Former Employee - General Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people were nice and the working environment was not stuffy. Overall it was a good working experience.

Cons

Some of the people were on the eccentric side.

I believe management has changed since I was there, so none that can be objective.

Northeastern, where Students and their best interest come last

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University

Pros

The Education and Music programs are remarkable

Cons

Employees are picked based on their willingness to not to challenge a broken adiistrative system

Retire and let professionals who really care about the empowerment of a diverse student body take on your management roles. Beginning with Dr. Sharon Hahs.

No mobility, opportunity of a raise

Former Employee - Student Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Make your own schedule
    Feel involved on campus
    Build your résumé

Cons

Stressful
    Little guidance
    Can't get a raise

Better training

Experience depends heavily on department

Former Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northeastern Illinois University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Academic job in great location, urban Chicago. Some departments are excellent, in terms of the faculty both in professional and personal co-worker terms. A sometimes rewarding diversity of students. Faculty can take classes for free, for credit.

Cons

Weak union, low pay, pressure to keep academic standards low, very bad academic reputation can hurt career potential after a stint here, peculiar portfolio tenure retention process involves even more subjectivity and uncertainty than usual. Very little university level support for research and publication and yet the tenure process involves relatively high expectations at the same time.

Need more full time faculty, too much reliance on very low paid adjuncts. Raise minimum level academic standards, so that the degree is worth more to graduates. Spend more resources on developing working remedial and other academic student support programs, rather than pressuring faculty to raise graduation rates by lowering scholastic standards. Target programs and departments with the most notably low standards for raising literacy (education, criminal justice).

Worked for Northeastern Illinois University? Contribute to the Community!