Northeastern University

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Northeastern University President Joseph E. Aoun

Joseph E. Aoun

109 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great institution with encouraging co-workers

Student Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI worked in the Co-op department for 8 months as a student coordinator. Pros were that everyone was welcoming and willing to help with day-to-day experiences and future career development. I worked with everyone form fellow graduate students to the associate dean of the college. It definitely gave me great insight into the world of higher education.

ConsThe one big con I noticed was that internship opportunities rarely, if ever, translated into full time positions. Even when they needed another full time employee they stuck with the part-time intern. I'm not sure if it is budget constraints, bureaucracy, or a combination of both.

So-So

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThe campus is gorgeous and there are some wonderful people to work with across all divisions. The institution is innovative which is a cool experience to be a part of as well.

ConsThe salaries are low compared to the area. Depending on your office, there are some really bad politics that weigh on you. If you cannot play the game it is not the place to be, especially since schmoozers get ahead here. The spend a lot as well so it seems frivolous, especially if you yourself went to college here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to reports from lower levels, the supervisors are not always as great as they seem.

Work Study

Work Study (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWonderful environment, at least in the office I worked in. I made excellent and lasting connections with everyone that I worked with.

ConsThere are none that I can think of.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, some growing pains

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsTop quality facilities. Interesting and smart people. School is growing in a way that places them competitively among top tier Universities in Boston (Harvard, MIT). The research is improving as more faculty are hired and the university utilizes its location to enhance collaborative work.

ConsRapid growth to become a larger research university means the infrastructure is lagging a bit behind. There seems to be checks put in place that are making it difficult for the growth period to happen smoothly. Hard to tell how it will turn out as the consequences/benefits may not be evident for another 3-5 years.

Great place to grow

Building Manager (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsEveryone there, including the students is very career oriented which keeps you motivated while you're working. The passion people have is inspiring!

ConsLots of run-around/ red tape
    Not enough communication between colleges or departments within a college--people are stuck in the "Husky Shuffle," being sent from one building to another because no one understands what goes on outside of their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency/communication between departments and colleges.

Cooperative education

Cooperative Education Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFlexible hours, good benefits, fulfilling job. Friendly coworkers wanting to work together. Can pretty much make your own schedule.

ConsLimited growth opportunity. There was not a lot of room to advance for coordinators.
    A lot of shifting with student counselors. Makes keeping track of things a little more difficult.

Wonderful Experience

Event Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

Pros- Flexible schedule
    - Great events to participate in
    - Good people to work with
    - Centrally located university, well connected throughout the city.

ConsPart time opportunities are'nt much, and are pretty hard to find initially. The university should consider increasing the number of opportunities available to student, specially international students.

University

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to here and is very good and also employment

ConsNA don' think its bad infact pretty good

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Excellent

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI am Graduate Research assistant at Dr. Torchilin's lab at Northeastern University. I work with renal cancer cells. It has been a great learning experience. I have gained experience in various laboratory techniques. I carry out cell culture experiments and also in-vivo testings.

ConsIt is a very competitive laboratory with a number of Phd students and I feel privileged to be a part of this team. There is a lot of hardwork involved but at the same time the work environment is very motivating.

It was great experience

Orientation Volunteer (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsVery friendly environment and very comfortable

ConsNo cons. I really enjoyed my work

Worked for Northeastern University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northeastern University reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northeastern University CEO Joseph E. Aoun. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Northeastern University employees.