Northeastern University

Northeastern University Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Northeastern University President Joseph E. Aoun

Joseph E. Aoun

Pros
  • Great benefits package, including tuition reimbursement(in 9 reviews)

• There are definitely great people that work here(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower given industry, terrible performance management(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management no longer wants employees to think independently(in 5 reviews)

Disorganized

ProsIf you choose to take advantage of tuition remission

ConsEveryone talks behind one anothers backs
    Total chaos and no sense of organization

Smart people, some growing pains

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTop quality facilities. Interesting and smart people. School is growing in a way that places them competitively among top tier Universities in Boston (Harvard, MIT). The research is improving as more faculty are hired and the university utilizes its location to enhance collaborative work.

ConsRapid growth to become a larger research university means the infrastructure is lagging a bit behind. There seems to be checks put in place that are making it difficult for the growth period to happen smoothly. Hard to tell how it will turn out as the consequences/benefits may not be evident for another 3-5 years.

Great Job for Grad Student or recent grad

ProsGood interaction with management staff and other employees

Consfast paced, difficulty with picking up shifts at times

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The job did a lot for me too pass on to my children.

Parent Adv (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe workshop's that we was giving was the best every. Showing the Parent's and the students how important it was to stay and school.

Consworkshop that we had to attend. The early morning work homework that we had to do. The field trip overnight camping trip with the students. College tour's was great showed me thing that I could share with my daughters.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep faith no matter what be said about other coworker, keeping on track with the summer program that was the best of all working at Northeastern. We took alot from the programs.

Great experience, Not easy at all

ProsYou would get funded, hours are flexible

Conswork load is really high for research and can sometimes be even stressful, opportunities are not so much you need to search a lot and its hard to get funded if you are in international Master's student

Great place to grow

Building Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEveryone there, including the students is very career oriented which keeps you motivated while you're working. The passion people have is inspiring!

ConsLots of run-around/ red tape
    Not enough communication between colleges or departments within a college--people are stuck in the "Husky Shuffle," being sent from one building to another because no one understands what goes on outside of their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency/communication between departments and colleges.

Good for Masters and PhD in Computer Science

ProsGet to try out different subjects, and each subject helps to build up a good mastery over programming and get to learn many new things.

ConsVery competitive environment, if you won't run fast you will surely be outrun.

Overall, I recommend it.

ProsGrowing amazingly fast. In the next couple of years, I am confident that it will be ranked in top 20 in engineering.

ConsNot enough work space. Office spaces are in the basement.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more buildings

Wonderful Experience

Event Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Flexible schedule
    - Great events to participate in
    - Good people to work with
    - Centrally located university, well connected throughout the city.

ConsPart time opportunities are'nt much, and are pretty hard to find initially. The university should consider increasing the number of opportunities available to student, specially international students.

University

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to here and is very good and also employment

ConsNA don' think its bad infact pretty good

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Worked for Northeastern University? Contribute to the Community!