Northeastern University

Northeastern University Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Northeastern University President Joseph E. Aoun

Joseph E. Aoun

Pros
  • Great benefits package, including tuition reimbursement(in 9 reviews)

• There are definitely great people that work here(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower given industry, terrible performance management(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management no longer wants employees to think independently(in 5 reviews)

Takes Very Good Care of Their Employees

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood Pay, Good People, Lots of events that give away free stuff, Occasionally get free meals, Located in a central part of Boston. Beautiful location.

ConsThere is a a pretty big problem with the organization of the college. Management often changes around. Many of the upper level managers have inflated egos and don't understand what it's like to be a lower level worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to understand what it's like to have people beneath you. Don't waste so much money on things that are unnecessary, like hundreds of flat screens.

Seeking a balance between education and business models

Academic Specialist (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTuition remission is a big benefit as long as your program of choice is not online. The work environment is very collegial within departments and people are passionate about what they do. Able to check your job at the door- outside of 9-5 work expectations are infrequent. Opportunities for growth are present as long as you are willing to move to other departments.

ConsPay/time off is a little low compared to other universities in the Boston area. The environment is very decentralized- not a great deal of communication between departments. Lastly, because the university is trying to be more competitive they are shifting to a business model that resembles "for-profit" institutions i.e. high recruitment demands

Absolutely terrible. No respect for people whatsoever.

ProsLeaving or not applying is the best thing you can do.

ConsTreating people as if they were subhuman.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great school and so much potential

Student Services (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBenefits, vacation and sick time are a huge plus. Great for someone looking to earn a Master's degree while working full time.

ConsWhile the benefits are a pro, the salary is a con. Raises are barely enough to keep up with inflation and bonuses are really not existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide lower level employees with clear advancement paths, challenging stretch assignments and ways to develop professionally

Good University

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe coop is really useful for an international student with no work experience before, such as me. Computer Science is good

ConsNothing else I think, expect that there are too many international students here.. For CS major, most students come from India, and a quarter of students from China

Very good place to be

ProsVery good location, friendly environment

ConsNot efficient staff and very time consuming paper works to get things done!

Positive but Uneasy

Senior Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt's in Boston, which means that great people get selected into this place (James Dana, William Dickens, John Kwoka).

ConsThe economics department has very limited funding, which means that PhD's like myself had very little job safety. Although promised 4 years of full coverage, we were told at the end of the third year that there would be no benefits for the fourth. Finally, they found the money, but the whole process caused us a great deal of stress. Students with Masters degrees are only offered 4 years of funding whereas post-Bachelor students only 5 years.

Rising rapidly - watch out MIT/Harvard! [student]

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-op program is the best in the world

ConsPeople confuse us with Northwestern
    $$$

It is awesome

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCo-op is the best oppurtunity and very helpful

Conshectic courses, pdp subject should not be compulsary

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce pressure on students, remove pdp subject

Budget Coordinator

Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTuition waiver, access to facilities, network building, constantly innovating their position in higher education.

ConsSeeing higher educations downfalls in person - gross over spending, misappropriation of funds, bloated salaries on tenured faculty. Impossible to go around personality conflicts - power players typically don't move (and if they still remain in power).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe an industry leader in doing away with tenure. Create a non-profit feel to your budget departments and operate for the students and the subjects you are teaching. High paid professors are nickle and diming the high education market into a price point that will deem its diplomas uneconomical to the future work force.

Worked for Northeastern University? Contribute to the Community!