Northeastern University

Northeastern University Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Northeastern University President Joseph E. Aoun

Joseph E. Aoun

Pros
  • Supportive, Autonomous, great benifit (free tuition/200% retirement match) & Forward Thinking(in 9 reviews)

• Great work atmosphere surrounded with great people(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower given industry, terrible performance management(in 4 reviews)

• Upper management no longer wants employees to think independently(in 5 reviews)

Crazy managers

ProsFree tuition, nice location, easy commute

Conscrazy managers, lack of support,

Get your benefits and get out

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosthere are great benefits (free tuition for employee and spouse/dependents, a 10% 403b match from NU, good vacation time, lots of paid holidays - like the whole week from Christmas Eve until New Year's Day), good location in the city right at a commuter rail stop as well as the Orange and Green lines of the MBTA system

ConsThere's no job training, so good looking trying to figure anything out! As for getting stuff done with other offices, try and find good workers and butter them up so they'll help you, because good help is hard to find. You will come across plenty of un-motivated employees who only work until their kids graduate on free tuition from the university. The staff also dictate to management how work is split up, in that some staff just flat-out refuse to do tasks within their job description, so either the jobs don't get done, or are piled by management on staff members who have a work ethic. I was shocked when I saw a clerical staff tell her manager, "No, I'm not doing it. I already did a report this morning" when asked to do an urgent report in the afternoon. She was also shopping online when she said this. Not only was the work then given to someone else, but the employee was not even spoken to about this attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop holding meetings to discuss what was discussed in prior meetings! this university refers to itself as fast-paced all the time, but it moves like molasses compared to anything in the business world.

Great place for internationals

PhD Student (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLocation is great. Transportation, restaurants, hospitals... There are lots of chances can have a job. Many companies and lots of job fair are here. You can go to MIT or Harvard for the job fair easily.

ConsUniversity isn't well known yet. There are Harvard, MIT, BU and BC near here. High life expenses is a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementUniversity is getting bigger and bigger, better and better. If you think about Ph.D, it will be better than you think.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

ProsGreat work atmosphere surrounded with great people.

ConsBeing a smaller athletic program makes it difficult to raise money.

I've Enjoyed Working Here

Residence Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSupportive, Autonomous, great benifit (free tuition/200% retirement match) & Forward Thinking

ConsGossip, negativity among co-workers, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your technologies

A place with a modicum of bureaucracy, but not overwhelming

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prossafe, well-established, friendly faculty and staff, great vacation and benefits

Consrelatively boring, slow compared to private industry, relatively low pay compared to industry

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on getting things done and consider taking the provost out of the loop for every small decision

Swallow your pride, get a degree, enjoy the perks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits and free tuition are why you stay. They are very supportive of developing their staff. If you have a good manager who supports you, then you feel like anything is possible. The students are both frustrating and wonderful in the manners in which they surprise you.

ConsFaculty egos and attitudes especially towards support staff are unbelievably demoralizing. It is part of the culture and will never change. Do not attempt to treat them as humans or peers. Not all people are like this, but the ones that are make it very well known that you are the servant and not an equal.

Advice to Senior ManagementModify your faculty expectations and treatment of staff.

So-So

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe campus is gorgeous and there are some wonderful people to work with across all divisions. The institution is innovative which is a cool experience to be a part of as well.

ConsThe salaries are low compared to the area. Depending on your office, there are some really bad politics that weigh on you. If you cannot play the game it is not the place to be, especially since schmoozers get ahead here. The spend a lot as well so it seems frivolous, especially if you yourself went to college here.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to reports from lower levels, the supervisors are not always as great as they seem.

Great institution with encouraging co-workers

Student Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI worked in the Co-op department for 8 months as a student coordinator. Pros were that everyone was welcoming and willing to help with day-to-day experiences and future career development. I worked with everyone form fellow graduate students to the associate dean of the college. It definitely gave me great insight into the world of higher education.

ConsThe one big con I noticed was that internship opportunities rarely, if ever, translated into full time positions. Even when they needed another full time employee they stuck with the part-time intern. I'm not sure if it is budget constraints, bureaucracy, or a combination of both.

Disorganized

ProsIf you choose to take advantage of tuition remission

ConsEveryone talks behind one anothers backs
    Total chaos and no sense of organization

Worked for Northeastern University? Contribute to the Community!