Northeastern University

Updated October 20, 2014
3.8

Northeastern University President Joseph E. Aoun
Joseph E. Aoun

Pros
  • Supportive, Autonomous, great benifit (free tuition/200% retirement match) & Forward Thinking (in 11 reviews)

• Good work-life balance; the university is typically on a 830-430 schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower given industry, terrible performance management (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management no longer wants employees to think independently (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Get your benefits and get out

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northeastern University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

there are great benefits (free tuition for employee and spouse/dependents, a 10% 403b match from NU, good vacation time, lots of paid holidays - like the whole week from Christmas Eve until New Year's Day), good location in the city right at a commuter rail stop as well as the Orange and Green lines of the MBTA system

Cons

There's no job training, so good looking trying to figure anything out! As for getting stuff done with other offices, try and find good workers and butter them up so they'll help you, because good help is hard to find. You will come across plenty of un-motivated employees who only work until their kids graduate on free tuition from the university. The staff also dictate to management how work is split up, in that some staff just flat-out refuse to do tasks within their job description, so either the jobs don't get done, or are piled by management on staff members who have a work ethic. I was shocked when I saw a clerical staff tell her manager, "No, I'm not doing it. I already did a report this morning" when asked to do an urgent report in the afternoon. She was also shopping online when she said this. Not only was the work then given to someone else, but the employee was not even spoken to about this attitude.

Stop holding meetings to discuss what was discussed in prior meetings! this university refers to itself as fast-paced all the time, but it moves like molasses compared to anything in the business world.

Crazy managers

I have been working at Northeastern University

Pros

Free tuition, nice location, easy commute

Cons

crazy managers, lack of support,

Great place to work

I have been working at Northeastern University

Pros

Great work atmosphere surrounded with great people.

Cons

Being a smaller athletic program makes it difficult to raise money.

I've Enjoyed Working Here

Current Employee - Residence Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Residence Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northeastern University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

Gossip, negativity among co-workers, low pay

Update your technologies

A place with a modicum of bureaucracy, but not overwhelming

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northeastern University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

safe, well-established, friendly faculty and staff, great vacation and benefits

Cons

relatively boring, slow compared to private industry, relatively low pay compared to industry

Continue to focus on getting things done and consider taking the provost out of the loop for every small decision

Swallow your pride, get a degree, enjoy the perks

I worked at Northeastern University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and free tuition are why you stay. They are very supportive of developing their staff. If you have a good manager who supports you, then you feel like anything is possible. The students are both frustrating and wonderful in the manners in which they surprise you.

Cons

Faculty egos and attitudes especially towards support staff are unbelievably demoralizing. It is part of the culture and will never change. Do not attempt to treat them as humans or peers. Not all people are like this, but the ones that are make it very well known that you are the servant and not an equal.

Modify your faculty expectations and treatment of staff.

Great institution with encouraging co-workers

Former Employee - Student Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student Coordinator in Boston, MA

I worked at Northeastern University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in the Co-op department for 8 months as a student coordinator. Pros were that everyone was welcoming and willing to help with day-to-day experiences and future career development. I worked with everyone form fellow graduate students to the associate dean of the college. It definitely gave me great insight into the world of higher education.

Cons

The one big con I noticed was that internship opportunities rarely, if ever, translated into full time positions. Even when they needed another full time employee they stuck with the part-time intern. I'm not sure if it is budget constraints, bureaucracy, or a combination of both.

So-So

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northeastern University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The campus is gorgeous and there are some wonderful people to work with across all divisions. The institution is innovative which is a cool experience to be a part of as well.

Cons

The salaries are low compared to the area. Depending on your office, there are some really bad politics that weigh on you. If you cannot play the game it is not the place to be, especially since schmoozers get ahead here. The spend a lot as well so it seems frivolous, especially if you yourself went to college here.

Pay attention to reports from lower levels, the supervisors are not always as great as they seem.

Work Study

Former Employee - Work Study in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Work Study in Boston, MA

I worked at Northeastern University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful environment, at least in the office I worked in. I made excellent and lasting connections with everyone that I worked with.

Cons

There are none that I can think of.

Great place to study and work!

I have been working at Northeastern University

Pros

The management is flexible. People here are nice and patient. And you will have lots of vacation days.

Cons

You need to do you best and work a lot for the research.

Northeastern University Photos