Northeastern University

Northeastern University Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Northeastern University President Joseph E. Aoun

Joseph E. Aoun

Pros
  • Supportive, Autonomous, great benifit (free tuition/200% retirement match) & Forward Thinking (in 9 reviews)

• Great work atmosphere surrounded with great people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is lower given industry, terrible performance management (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management no longer wants employees to think independently (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive but Uneasy

Senior Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt's in Boston, which means that great people get selected into this place (James Dana, William Dickens, John Kwoka).

ConsThe economics department has very limited funding, which means that PhD's like myself had very little job safety. Although promised 4 years of full coverage, we were told at the end of the third year that there would be no benefits for the fourth. Finally, they found the money, but the whole process caused us a great deal of stress. Students with Masters degrees are only offered 4 years of funding whereas post-Bachelor students only 5 years.

It is awesome

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCo-op is the best oppurtunity and very helpful

Conshectic courses, pdp subject should not be compulsary

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce pressure on students, remove pdp subject

Rising rapidly - watch out MIT/Harvard! [student]

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-op program is the best in the world

ConsPeople confuse us with Northwestern
    $$$

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Budget Coordinator

Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTuition waiver, access to facilities, network building, constantly innovating their position in higher education.

ConsSeeing higher educations downfalls in person - gross over spending, misappropriation of funds, bloated salaries on tenured faculty. Impossible to go around personality conflicts - power players typically don't move (and if they still remain in power).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe an industry leader in doing away with tenure. Create a non-profit feel to your budget departments and operate for the students and the subjects you are teaching. High paid professors are nickle and diming the high education market into a price point that will deem its diplomas uneconomical to the future work force.

Pay is Great especially for a Graduate Student

ProsGood Working Hours, self learning kind of work

Consentirely depends on who one works with

Not a good experience

Program Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMany colleagues were great to work with as were the students

ConsVery hierarchical. Not a good working environment. Very high turn-over.

Good

ProsCoop Opportunities are very good

Consnothing to complain about it

I work as a tutor for undergraduate students for the course CS2800 i.e. logic and computation.

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI am learning quite a lot from the undergraduate course about the programming language ACL2.

ConsThere are no cons for this job. I would recommend this job to quite a lot of people. What else can I say about this.

Fast-paced but a lot of layers

ProsGet to try out a many different marketing initiatives and utilize the last marketing automation systems on the market. There are definitely great people that work here.

ConsVery hard to grow from within because promotional opportunities aren't available, making the organization very top heavy. This also makes the approval process difficult when trying out new initiatives

Producing live sports broadcasts and editing videos for the athletic department was an amazing experience.

Video Producer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood on-the-job training, exciting travel opportunities for top level producers, great team environment with excellent camaraderie

ConsIrregular hours, good deal of night and weekend work, all positive other than the sometimes inconvenient scheduling.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire selectively, this job is among the best at Northeastern. Make sure candidates are deserving of the coveted production positions.

Worked for Northeastern University? Contribute to the Community!