Northern Alberta Institute of Technology

Reset
3.4
Glenn Feltham

1. Administrative assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My work was challenging and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Cons

Being promoted depends on who you know.

Advice to Management

Talk to you staff and know who does the work.

2. Awesomeness all around...

I worked at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the environment both as a student and as aneeded employee. The lead IT Supervisor was well rehearsed and in tune to the environment. Instructors were patient and cooperative when I would be fulfilling my duties.

Cons

There were not many CONS per say.... I personally would have liked it if computer controls were in place to allow all students to access the lab as necessary, and not wait for a computer occupied by Facebook/YouTube users. This is a place for studying, not fun and games

3. Utterly a highly poisoned work environment

Former Employee - Instructor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Working about a years at NAIT, an utterly poisoned work environment, made me appreciate how valuable I am as a human being and therefore, should avoid poisoned workplaces like NAIT at any cost for my well being.

Cons

During a year of working at NAIT, I observed racism, sexism, bullying, obscenity, foul language, assault both verbal and physical. My department, ELT is filled with bigots. There is an instructor who brags about having sexual relationships with students. I witnessed an instructor being assaulted by two associate chairs. Instructors mostly the visible minorities are constantly harassed and bullied under the camouflage of performance evaluations. Obscene and sexually charged language is a daily occurrence. We had an instructor, an alcoholic who was mostly drunk on job while supposed to supervise students in dangerous lab environment. Most people there are not qualified and have lied grossly about their qualifications. Obscene practical jokes are rampant. Once witnessed an instructor going to the female employees showing them a box of opened condom. The place is a cesspool of rednecks and bigots. There are few good people who are trying hard to get out of that cesspool. There is no chance of advancement solely based on the qualifications. The Management hands promotions to whom they know or related to, or whom they sleep with. The internal selection process is highly rigged and a joke. It was and is perhaps one of the most poisoned workplaces in existence. Avoid this place like plague at any cost.

Advice to Management

The management has adopted the policy of deaf ears. Perhaps since they know the place is in such a mess and so rotten that is beyond any repair. The only way is to purge it entirely and build it again. Therefore, the management does not want to listen. The union sleeps with management in the same bed. NASA, NAIT Academic Staff Association is totally useless. Its President rubs shoulder with the CEO. He changes his union rep every year or so, to muffle any dissent. Complaining results in your quick purge. Management is not approachable.

5. Good Experience

I worked at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology part-time

Pros

Many opportunities to learn and flexible time

Cons

Sometimes the personnel makes differences among their employees

Advice to Management

Treat every one as equals

6. Supplemental Learning Leader

Current Employee - Supplemental Learning Leader in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supplemental Learning Leader in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great part-time job on campus for students with excellent grades. 10 hours a week with 6 hours being spent in the classroom and 3 hours being spent running study group sessions.

Cons

Few students take advantage of the service in some departments. In my department I spent roughly 30% of my sessions sitting alone in a room waiting for students to come for help.

Advice to Management

Keep offering the program! The students who do come to SL for help are amazing to work with and it's great to watch them succeed.

7. NAIT Review

Former Employee - ITS in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - ITS in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good benefits - Good pay - Vacation - Further education - Good pension

Cons

- Too much nepotism - Don't expect a promotion. It's really hard to move up if you don't know anyone. Not what you know, its who you know. - Too political. Didn't feel like my job was secure. - Found it biased. Unless you know anyone from higher up your ok.

Advice to Management

Focus on embracing diversity and treating each other with respect like the NAIT way.

8. Done With

Pros

good retirement job ,good Pay

Cons

highly political poor moral,inefficient use of public funds

Advice to Management

enforce,instructors competence in instruction

9. Ups and downs, mostly up

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology full-time

Pros

Overall this has been a good place to work. When necessary training has been and is available, certifications and professional development encouraged. Possibilities are there to move between roles and departments.

Cons

Over the years there have been some tough times, management and staff occasionally seemed to lose touch. Not all departments are created equal either.

Amazing work as Lab supervisor at NAIT. I as foreign worker NAIT is great experience and help improve my skills.

Current Employee - Lab Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Lab Supervisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Is amazing work at Computer Commons SA. NAIT has great work environmental, as a result, help most the students in the future plan career.

Cons

I don't have any cons about my job.

Overall good but depends on area/dept

Former Employee - Advisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Advisor in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Northern Alberta Institute of Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people Good pay including benefits and pension 10 days off at Christmas break Good training Instructor 90 Contract 45/hr Director Range 114-137 Manager Range 95-114 Front office/clerks 30-65 (highfor specialized roles like advisors)

Cons

Too political, lots of favoritism. Cronyism and nepotism in all areas and levels. Leaves employees questioning leadership. NAIT way is preached and not always followed Lots of turnover in leadership (seems good people are all leaving)

Advice to Management

Stop cronyism and nepotism. NAIT Way now means No Way for promotion or equality. Too many new leaders brining in own people. That happens everywhere but it's seems more so now then 10 years ago. Heard some in Student Services call it NAITQuest (too many from NorQuest College). LOL!

RSS Feed </> Embed