Northern Arizona University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Northern Arizona University President John D. Haeger

John D. Haeger

Pros
  • Work environment is very pleasant(in 6 reviews)

• They were always willing to work with your class schedule(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • My biggest concern is the fact that the administration is touting small class sizes and a "small town" with 75(in 3 reviews)

• Lower than average salaries and high cost of living(in 2 reviews)

NAU student worker

ProsThe people you meet and work with are amazing and full of life.

ConsDidn't learn anything valuable for after college.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive students more responsibility.

Good enough for Flagstaff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsThe benefits are great, the salary is so-so (depending on what department you're in). Once you get your foot in the door, there are a lot of opportunities.

ConsGovernment job with a lot of people who have the "government job" mindset. Management doesn't seem to know what's going on half the time with their own department.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to get involved with what your employees are doing, then ACTUALLY get involved. Otherwise, you make your team look incompetent and you make yourself look indifferent to the activities/projects of your own department.

Beautiful backdrop but an abysmal payscale.

Lecturer (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsGreat health plan. Great friends. Beautiful environment.

ConsPayscale is abysmal. Hiring too many lecturers, instructors, and part time persons--many of whom are well (over) qualified for their jobs. NOT rewarding the faculty they do have when tenure track lines are available but are instead replacing them with the next shiny best thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCherish the personnel you DO have. Reward OUR contributions. You'd be surprised what many of us might make happen were you to pay us a living wage (so we don't have to work an outside job) and assign us a feasible teaching load (even a 3/3).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Research Assistant for Mechanical Engineering. Excellent work.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsRewarding. My supervisor was awesome. Office staff was very helpful.

ConsCompensation for being a graduate student is... not a lot. However the tuition is covered.
    Fighting for funding can be competitive.

It was a good place to learn and grow

Student Worker (Former Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsEveryone I worked with was willing and able to help and explain anything you wanted to know. They really wanted to help you succeed and expected you to help others whenever possible. They were always willing to work with your class schedule.

ConsHours were sometimes unreliable in TVS. Hours depended on sporting events.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the student workers if you have time.

Decent, honest work with a few drawbacks.

Team Lead (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

Pros-write your own hours to fit your personal and class schedule (between 8AM and 5PM)
    -generous with time-off requests
    -Mostly pleasant staff
    -diverse training depending on personal initiative and what crew you belong to

Cons-no benefits
    -work environment has potential to hamper work-ethic
    -may have to work with harsh chemicals depending on what crew you work for
    -most roads from this job at the undergrad student level are dead ends.
    -an infectious air of flippancy that can be felt on especially bad days.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo solid advice, the current boss is a good one (but a flawed one). If anything, find the cracks in the foundation (pushing equipment aside, retaining outdated inventory for too long, cleaning equipment, favortism of the charasmatic rather than the driven) and resolve the issues to the best of your ability.

Good pay for student workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to meet friends as a student employee, good pay, very flexible work schedules, all around a great place to work as a student

ConsNepotism - the best way to get a job at NAU is knowing a manager.
    As a student worker, sometimes managers forget about you or don't appreciate your work. Some employees do not value your opinion.

Laid back but full of drama.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsDecent pay for Flagstaff, laid back and fun work environment, challenging assignments. Lot's of departments to bounce around from and plenty of opportunities if you have the education.

ConsNo training provided what so ever. Very much a "figure it out yourself" type of environment. You'll most likely have multiple bosses breathing down your neck at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more re-enforcing instead of putting employees down.

Great job working with NAU while being a student

Business Operations Assistant (Current Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

Prosworks with my schedule and keeps me busy

Consthere aren't any cons. i get to make money while in school and it works with my schedule

Some good, some bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation, some departments really want to deliver quality education/service

ConsGetting away from education and catering to profit margins of peripheral services

Worked for Northern Arizona University? Contribute to the Community!