Northern Arizona University

Updated October 23, 2014
4.1

Northern Arizona University President John D. Haeger
John D. Haeger

Pros
  • The general work environment is laid back and as long as you do your job, there is little to worry about (in 6 reviews)

• They were always willing to work with your class schedule (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lower than average salaries and high cost of living (in 4 reviews)

• My biggest concern is the fact that the administration is touting small class sizes and a "small town" with 75 (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunities galore to innovate, grow, and collaborate with a hard-working team

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Northern Arizona University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

University College is an incredible community to work with. There's excitement about developing new programming, and assessing it using data driven measures, to contribute to student success. I've had lots of freedom and support to propose and prototype new ideas for programming, with a great team that shares my high expectations for quality work. My program director is very proactive about professional development, so our small team regularly attends conferences and pursues growth opportunities related to our areas of focus.

Cons

The cost of living in Flagstaff is very high, and our salaries are on the low end of national averages.

Good University

Current Employee - Student Worker in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Northern Arizona University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The university is on the center of the city with many great professors, it has many restaurants and the community is collaborative

Cons

Do not offer many elective courses so the choice of course is limited and the description of the courses is not clear.

Very nice for graduated student

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

AS GTA, has about 1600 per month, including insurance, even paid my kids' preschool after applying the program.

Cons

As GTA, you need be instructor of multiple classes, but you have your own TA.

A good starting place

I have been working at Northern Arizona University part-time

Pros

Comfortable, friendly environment where I could ask questions for my own growth.

Cons

Working with professors can be difficult because they are busy too.

Good program for Graduate Students

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Waived tuition, good collaboration and teaching experience. Great hands-on experience teaching to different levels of undergraduate courses. Thorough access to professors and lab managers to help make the lab go smoothly. Health insurance is also available.

Cons

Certain expectations beyond job description and not much meaningful input as a graduate student. Pay is not great, but is offset by tuition waiver and moderate cost of living in Flagstaff.

Don't respect student employees

Current Employee - Student Bus Driver in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Bus Driver in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Northern Arizona University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible around school schedule for students

Cons

No opportunity to grow, poor pay (about $4/hr below national average) management is lazy and doesnt lead by example

if you want your employees to work hard you should probably work hard yourself.

Run far away...

I have been working at Northern Arizona University

Pros

The level of interaction was rewarding but depending on the professor you may be teaching their class or be nothing more than a glorified attendance taker.

Cons

Completely misses the point of being a TA which is to assist in the classroom or take over duties if possible.

Introduce these as adjunct faculty positions if they're already at a Master's level and pay them double the standard rate to actually alleviate the need for some of the excess adjunct faculty if you're going to run a PhD program.

The best first job I could have asked for.

Former Employee - Financial Aid and Scholarships in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Financial Aid and Scholarships in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with an amazing staff in a really vibrant office. The staff new how to have fun when times were slow and buckle down to get the work done when we picked up in Aug/Sept.

Cons

The crunch period was hell. I think this is just a fact of working in Financial Aid. Even with a full staff answering phone our wait time on the phone could exceed 30 mins so every call you'd take was an angry student.

I think the management has done a good job of cultivating a team that worked well but occasionally it seemed like the various directors were not communicating very well at the higher level. Each department was kept in it's own guarded silo.

Great benefits, ability to move within organization

Former Employee - Information Specialist in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Information Specialist in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security is high; except in cases of statewide layoffs, you won't lose your job. I had a fairly wide amount of latitude to decide what I wanted to work on at any given time.

Cons

Hard to get in, because in a lot of cases, a job posting is basically a mirage; they've already decide who they're going to hire, so you have no chance. The law requires them to post all jobs, so there's no way to tell when this is the case.

HR

I have been working at Northern Arizona University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NAU is a great place to work. They have a beautiful campus and are working hard to better education for their students. The people on campus are great to work with and the benefit package is outstanding.

Cons

Room for growth within the university system is hard unless you change departments. ASRS contribution rate are high and not everyone wants a pension plan. The salaries in comparison to private companies in Flagstaff are pretty low.