Northern Michigan University

Northern Michigan University Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

I was a public relations intern in the communications and marketing office

Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

ProsI was able to try my hand and be mostly autonomous in many different aspects of the communications and marketing including video production, official writing, event planning and management and many other communications-related tasks.

The hours are very flexible, if you have to place more focus on class or life the staff are very happy to help.

ConsThe higher education industry is hard to innovate in, so the only thing I can say is the work doesn't have much room for change, but there is a lot to learn!

Student Worker

ProsGreat leaders and workers. NMU is always trying to keep ahead of the game and constantly improve the overall life of the campus.

ConsNot NMU's fault, but limited to 20 hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Student Office Assistant

Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

Pros- Supervisors were very warm and supportive, which created great culture.
    - This was a work study position, so they offered flexible scheduling to work around my classes.
    - Great opportunity to learn general office skills.
    - This position only hired individuals in the department, so it was a great opportunity to build relationships with department faculty.
    - Convenient location.

Cons- Seasonal position, hours only available during school year.
    - Since this was funded by the work study program wage rate was not as competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at NMU has been one of joy and frustration at many stages of employment.

ProsGreat leaders leading individual offices and a great buffer between the staff and executive leadership.

ConsSenior Management, Executive Leadership, and Board of Trustees are disconnected from staff and faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more in touch with the lower levels of staff on campus. Hear their "voice" and what they are seeing.

As long as you keep moving along....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs a TA, the semester load wasn't too bad. You get to teach in your field, either specific to it, or an intro class. I liked teaching the intro labs because it made you review the basic concepts. As long as you are reasonable, the fellow TAs, instructors and professors are on your side, when student problems arise.

ConsMost students and TAs are from the area, so being an outsider was a bit frustrating. The pay keeps you alive, but nothing more than that. You can't really build a savings with it.
    Beware of snow + hill stops. Parking is frustrating when it snows.

Necessary and Had Little Choice

Monitor, General Laborer (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

ProsTheir Work Study program keeps you at the top of the pile as far as employment opportunities. Working there as an employee gives you access to the top of the ladder in your department.

ConsStudent part-time workers (particularly in the Work Study program) are not part of the direct ladder to the top. Hours are minimal, and no one going to school full-time can have a full-time job on top of it. There's a lot of other Work Study employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike any company, they enjoy a hard worker that can find the silver lining in their jobs. They are always looking for ideas to help streamline service and improve employee/customer relationships.

Excellent opportunity for students

Student Tech (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

ProsFlexible schedules, Real world experience, Fun environment to work in, Very student focused

ConsRoutine work, Low pay, Very limited growth opportunity

Good Place to Work if you Like the Outdoors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe area is great and full of outdoor opportunities. Good job for a Northern grad.

ConsIt can get a little desolate in the winter. The pay isn't very high.

Fun place to work at and it felt like a family.

Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

ProsThey are very very flexible in scheduling.

ConsEven if you want a lot of hours it's hard to get the hours. It is minimal hours.

Title

Student Employee (Former Employee) Marquette, MI

ProsSteady Pay Check, workable/flexible hours, and a great environment

ConsNo benefits, no vacation, no compensation, no moving up in pay.

Worked for Northern Michigan University? Contribute to the Community!