Northern Quest Resort & Casino

2.6
Phillip Haugen

1. ok place to work

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino part-time

Pros

discounts free meal per shift employee promotions and rewards

Cons

not a good place if you are trying to grow or better yourself

Advice to Management

orientation needs to be organized better. kept us there for an unnecessary amount of time.

2. Prepare for big time disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1 free meal a day (food is not great though) Multiple departments to move around (not up but around) Diversity ( I love the people I became friends with here) People think your job is cool (but then you have to explain to them that its not at all)

Cons

Very low moral and dropping by the day Very high turn over rate Much talk of good things to come and caring absolutely NO follow through, everything they do is just for show -just to say they held a meeting on it but will never actually happen. Upper management does not care one bit about the people below them because in their opinion we are BELOW them. Its like your being sold a car by a pushy salesman every day just a bunch of lies told striaght to your face.

Advice to Management

I wish this was still a good place to work, job hunting sucks. Insulting your employees intelligence is not a good way to keep a quality team. The things you said about the Spokane Tribe was deplorable how dare you become the bully's you had to deal with before. Should they open and treat their employees with respect you will lose to many employees to sustain your 4 Diamond/ Forbes rating and you will lose it. You say we have a safe place to go to when we need to ask questions but you know that it will be held against us later.

3. Epic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheney, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheney, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, provide meals, customers are friendly (most of the time)

Cons

Hired full time but never given full time hours, high turnover rate especially in management, difficult for your opinion to be heard, hard to advance positions

5. Troubling Place to Work

Current Employee - Food Server
    Current Employee - Food Server

Pros

Free meals for each shift

Cons

Talk a lot about core values. Don't live them. No salary increases for 4 years.

Advice to Management

Executives need to learn the team members names by actually walking around.

6. Great Company

Pros

The company offers plenty of benefits for all employees (lunch is provided for all employees, medical benefits, monthly incentives, community discounts) as well as offering opportunity for advancement and placement throughout property. Management is friendly and accessible.

Cons

Though there are many benefits, there have not been salary increases in three years.

7. Great company! Could do better though

Pros

Free lunch, great people to work with

Cons

Usually start out as part time, hard to move up into full time status if not native american.

8. The tribe was amazing.. but the management was inconsistent, none of them were on the same page. I feel disappointed.

Former Employee - Server in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Server in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid holidays, vacations, incentive programs. the property was gorgeous. the majority of the guests were so much fun to see and server. My fellow co-workers were exceptional.

Cons

i didnt understand the sick policy, why accrue sick time if you cant use it? without the fear of losing your job. Or being denied your vacation/time off request. Hours of operation 24 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Your management teams should communicate in their circles before executing the main goal. so that everyone is on the same page. instead of one telling you to do it one way and another manager telling you to do it the other way..

9. Fun experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Airway Heights, WA

I worked at Northern Quest Resort & Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of politics and preference being that it is a native casino. Even though the company is constantly expanding, there are hardly any raises. Depending on the department, not a lot of communication going on and some people in high positions are extremely power hungry.

Cons

A lot of benefits. Paid lunch hours, vacation time, and 401K. Fun place to work if you love to people watch.

10. Northern Quest is a good place to get a job, but not a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Wide range of jobs, excellent benefits, interaction with all kinds of people. If you can get a job in maintenance, the pay is pretty good.

Cons

Intersepartment communication is terrible, information from the E-Team cannot be trusted (Villa isn't going anywhere, huh?), senior management preaches aboit the Core Values of the company, but refuse to practice them. Senior management is very disconnected. I have been working at NQ for two years. I am currently in a supervising position. Our department's director has never so much as introduced themself. One of the biggest cons is tribal preference. The idea of tribal preference is asinine in itself (let's see a white or black company try to pull that crap), but the way the company sells it doesn't sound as bad as it is. They sell tribal preference as a policy that give priority to native applicants two people are neck and neck. In reality, you don't have to be qualified for a job if you are tribal. I have watched tribal team members get up to 50% higher pay for doing the same job as a white or black individual.

Advice to Management

It's time to restructure. If we got rid of some of the dead weight (including a couple of the Execs), we could be an excellwnt company to be a part of. There are some excellent aspects of our company, but right now the bad really outweighs the good.

11. A decent place to work depending on the job.

I have been working at Northern Quest Resort & Casino part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free paid lunches and benefits if you're full time.

Cons

Interdepartmental communication is terrible here

RSS Feed </> Embed