Northern Tool + Equipment

Donald L. Kotula

Part time/FT

Former Employee - Product Placement in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Product Placement in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Company to work for.
    Flexible with school and military service.
    Good starting pay compared to other small retail jobs in the area.

Cons

Not the Job for a lazy person.

Great culture, great core values

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Northern Tool is growing fast but still maintains a small company culture where you feel like an asset, not a corporate cog. Management sets high expectations and gives you the tools to achieve them. This company has a great work/life balance and puts a priority on family. Northern Tool lists 6 "Core Values" as its foundation. One of these core values is to HAVE FUN! We are given opportunities to have fun and encouraged to do so. What more can I say?

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Keep it up!

Northern Tool loves it's managers

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Takes great care of management on all levels. Great perks, wonderful benefits and they are instated quickly.

Cons

Inventory receiving program could be a lot more tight.

Store level management - focus on working ON your business more than IN your business. Delegate your work and show much appreciation for all of your employees.

Family Company with great management

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is great and everyone at my store is a big family. Hours they are open are wonderful too...not too late or too early!

Cons

Can't get benefits as a part time employee and stores are so small that if someone is sick or fired....you end up working for them.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, fun work culture. Executive team is very friendly and down-to-earth. Good pay and benefits. Work life balance. Excellent training programs available.

Cons

Smaller organization so not a lot of room for upward advancement, but a lot of opportunity available to grow your position outward.

Keep doing what your doing, you treat your employees well and make us feel valued.

I have Truly enjoyed working here at Northern Tool

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Benifits , Great Hours, Great People

Cons

Systems are kinda of out dated but they are working on changing that

Great family friendly company who offers flexibility and work life balance.

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

Family friendly company who offers a lot of flexibility and work life balance. Managers empower employees to do best work. Very fun work environment. Core values are: Know Your Customer, Provide Value, Act With Integrity, Empower the Individual, Be Entrepreneurial, Have Fun. The company definitely lives by these values. The Kotula family is amazing!

Cons

Smaller company (400 employees at corp HQ) so not a lot of options for moving up the corporate ladder quickly, however you definitely are able to grow in your positon and take on more responsibility.

Keep doing what you're doing! One thing I have noticed is that I don't think all department heads live by the core values as much as others and certain areas might be a bit more rigid than others. I absolutely love my department, management team, etc. and hope that others have as great of a mangement team as my group.

Warehouse and merchandising part time as student

Former Employee - Merchandising Team in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Merchandising Team in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, friendly coworkers, awesome management that worked very hard and didn't mind helping out when someone needed, flexible scheduling. I was never micro managed and was trusted fully to complete tasks without anyone breathing down my neck.

Cons

Pay wasn't great, but what to expect as a part time student doing a job that any monkey could do?

Keep up the good work.

A Great Company to Work for that is headed in the right direction.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Life balance is a real policy within the company. Management WORKS every third Sunday. You really leave at a decent time for your family, All employees have weekends off on a steady rotation and schedules are 3 weeks out for more life planning. Pay is better than average retail and bonus potential for sales team and management is regularly attainable as well as cashiers getting opportunities to increase their pay with achievable competitive incentives. Solid benefits with just a lot of cool stuff to sell.

Cons

Not too many....Sometimes the traffic is slow which could affect sales at some sites and make the days seem longer. HR may make you feel as if their talk doesn't match their walk, but the regional managers help to clean up any deficits.

Pay is fair for the process oriented environment. Be prepared to follow a regimented routine to assist daily productivity. Assistant Managers run the stores with the Store Manager overseeing the entire process. As always focus on hiring the best and train up to make them better.

Great work/life balance

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Northern Tool Corporate has great work/life balance and truly values their employees. Needing flexibility for family reasons is easily granted. The position expectations are realistic. The company's core values truly define the culture.

Cons

They can, at times, be resistant to change and are not always accepting of new ideas.

Push your management team harder at the corporate office. They can accomplish a lot more and still have the work/life balance they have today. Set deadlines and keep them.

Northern Tool + Equipment Photos