Northern Tool + Equipment

www.northerntool.com

Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Donald L. Kotula

Great culture, great core values

ProsNorthern Tool is growing fast but still maintains a small company culture where you feel like an asset, not a corporate cog. Management sets high expectations and gives you the tools to achieve them. This company has a great work/life balance and puts a priority on family. Northern Tool lists 6 "Core Values" as its foundation. One of these core values is to HAVE FUN! We are given opportunities to have fun and encouraged to do so. What more can I say?

ConsI can't think of any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Northern Tool loves it's managers

Store Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTakes great care of management on all levels. Great perks, wonderful benefits and they are instated quickly.

ConsInventory receiving program could be a lot more tight.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore level management - focus on working ON your business more than IN your business. Delegate your work and show much appreciation for all of your employees.

Family Company with great management

Cashier (Current Employee) Murfreesboro, TN

ProsPay is great and everyone at my store is a big family. Hours they are open are wonderful too...not too late or too early!

ConsCan't get benefits as a part time employee and stores are so small that if someone is sick or fired....you end up working for them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN

ProsFlexible, fun work culture. Executive team is very friendly and down-to-earth. Good pay and benefits. Work life balance. Excellent training programs available.

ConsSmaller organization so not a lot of room for upward advancement, but a lot of opportunity available to grow your position outward.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing, you treat your employees well and make us feel valued.

I have Truly enjoyed working here at Northern Tool

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benifits , Great Hours, Great People

ConsSystems are kinda of out dated but they are working on changing that

Great family friendly company who offers flexibility and work life balance.

Corporate Office (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN

ProsFamily friendly company who offers a lot of flexibility and work life balance. Managers empower employees to do best work. Very fun work environment. Core values are: Know Your Customer, Provide Value, Act With Integrity, Empower the Individual, Be Entrepreneurial, Have Fun. The company definitely lives by these values. The Kotula family is amazing!

ConsSmaller company (400 employees at corp HQ) so not a lot of options for moving up the corporate ladder quickly, however you definitely are able to grow in your positon and take on more responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! One thing I have noticed is that I don't think all department heads live by the core values as much as others and certain areas might be a bit more rigid than others. I absolutely love my department, management team, etc. and hope that others have as great of a mangement team as my group.

Good company culture, lousy pay.

ProsThe corporate culture is great and they seem genuinely interested in their employees. New stores are opening every year, so there's always options for transfers on the retail end. Store culture is purely dependent on the Management's ability to make a positive culture and hire the right staff that gels together well. If you live in, or want to move to MN, corporate is 10 minutes outside the cities, and seem to really have fun there still. Number of opportunities are at a normal level.

Cons$30k is the standard salary for an ASM. Depending on your experience, you'll be abe to get closer to $40k, but you had better bring your persuasive skills with you that day! Compared to ASMs at say Home Depot ($60-70k/year), it's almost robbery. Store manager can start around $50k depending on experience, store size, most importantly your bargaining skills, and if they're desperate. Sales employees start at $10/hr (1% on profit margin on sales under your name if you're FT), everyone gets spiffs on service/warranty plans sold. Can at least double your second paycheck of the month if you are consistent and the sales are there for the store.
    Company advertises tuition reimbursement for FT associates. That may just apply to corporate employees, because they won't approve it for retail store associates and the stores don't seem to "flexible" when it comes to you getting consistent time to actually attend school full-time. On the retail side, it's the perfect "retail trap" if you don't have a good exit strategy planned. The company culture is very dependent on the each store's management's abiliity to create/maintain one that aligns with the company as a whole. Corporate needs to step in more and make sure there is still some "fun" left before Northern Tool becomes just another mindless retail store that numbs everyone's brains.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more, give them options for a better work/life balance and keep the culture fun and light. Make sure the employees will work well together and don't keep people until after the 90 day period if they aren't doing their jobs, aren't retaining knowledge and processes, and are just plain creeping other associates (and customers) out. They alienate everyone else, and create a horrible work environment.

Good Environment

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Woodbury, MN

ProsRetail managers lead by example.
    1 hour lunch.
    Top to bottom the management is very human.

ConsPressure to sell warranties ad nauseum.
    Perpetually shifting inventory into new configurations based on plan-o-grams created outside of the building with no exceptions possible. Occasionally making no sense for a particular location but no exceptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing just fine.

ok

Prosgreat hours fun place to work

Conscan be unorganized sometimes clutter

Northern Tool

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN

ProsLaid back culture, flexible working options, lots of access to Sr. Leadership

ConsSmall company with limited advancement opportunities.

Worked for Northern Tool + Equipment? Contribute to the Community!