Northern Tool + Equipment

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Donald L. Kotula

Pros
  • They offered great opportunities for a work-life balance with half days every other Friday (in 5 reviews)

• One of these core values is to HAVE FUN (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is stuck in the mire of old school thinking (in 2 reviews)

• Can't get benefits as a part time employee and stores are so small that if someone is sick or fired (in 2 reviews)

1. Watch Out

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Customers
    Great products
    Good discount

Cons

Lack of Hours
    Lack of Acceptance
    Lack of Good Managers

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is to take a good hard look at the managers in your company, at the store level. With having the smaller stores keep a small staff that allows for pure favoritism as far as hours and shifts. I was treated unethicly and was not welcomed and included in by store management, I was also not given a clear job description, it would change daily and I would be written up for not understanding my responsibility when they were constantly changing. Each job needs clear description on what each job is, and the responsibility that job covers.I will not ever recommend some one to work for this company and do not recommend that people shop there till there is a new structure put in place with better checks and balances for management at the store level.

Don't get hurt there. They will terminate your employment right away.

Former Employee - Assembly in Faribault, MN
    Former Employee - Assembly in Faribault, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok but hard to pay for with how much you make.

Cons

Treat you like a slave. Poor pay and bad management.

Advice to Management

Treat people like you would like to them to treat you. Get a plan of attack to get things done instead of going with spare of the moment.

Northern Tool + Equipment Response

Feb 26, 2015Talent Acquisition Partner

We take our reviews on Glassdoor very seriously. We take pride in the safety of our employees and by no means do we ever terminate an employee because of an injury. We are sorry about your experience ... More

Horrible

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store is not open late at night.

Cons

Stores need to have more staff because if one person calls off it affects the whole store. My coworkers were nice but some of the managers there had serious personality issues and will harass and belittle you for anything they can. I had enough of my assistant manager I decided to quit on the spot one day. The pay is terrible as well especially if you're a cashier. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to stop cutting corners and properly staff the stores. Also upgrade the computer systems. This company really pinches pennies and you can tell.

5. Job from hell!

Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits.....wish i had more to say

Cons

low pay, low raises, watching people go into management that were not hired form within the company....bummer not a job to grow with. Management is terrible! too cozy, think they are to good to "work" with the other employees....god complex.
    spp upsales turned ridiculous in jan.2014....more of a mentally stressful job than anything. cheaply made merchandise

Advice to Management

Management needs an update, protocol also a bit on the ridiculous side. Main thing to work on as a company is go through your stores and separate all the family members that work together, it's not fair to everyone else ex. death in family....store is short handed and management wont do anything about it. the store i worked in there were 5 family members working together.....its 2014 people! i would never recommend this job to ANYONE! I don't even like the fact i have to give this review a star to be rated. Oh and watch your personal information, the corporate headquarters gave mine out to another party with out my consent!

6. Very poor management and merchandising

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. A decent place to work for the first few months then the new store manager got there and after that it was all down hill.

Cons

Poor pay. More junk than tools. Selling SPP above & beyond doing anything else of to the point of losing your job. Poorest store manager in the country.

Advice to Management

Try hiring a store manager that doesn't make a new hire ready to quit after the first week. Also having one that doesn't make customers mad on an almost daily basis and not firing an ASM that customers actually like and come back to see would be a tremendous help. FYI I was employed for 5+ years so I did notice a few things. Unfortunately in the USA a manager is a dictator because you can say nothing negative towards one or else.

7. Northern Tool's is a difficult place to work with no opportunities to grow at there Manufacturing Facility.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Faribault, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Faribault, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

They offered great opportunities for a work-life balance with half days every other Friday. There is a diverse array of products that come out of that facility.

Cons

There is no opportunity for advancement. Most individuals who have been there have been in the same position for 5+ years.

Advice to Management

Work on improving opportunities and growing employee knowledge.

8. not trustworthy

Former Employee - Loader in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Loader in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very affliated with having fun with workers for there hard work.

Cons

challenged to the maximum for hard work that is brought upon yourself from heavy lifting.

Advice to Management

make work easier for workers who are keeping the company standing and give workers a chance to be hired again after termination.

9. If there was a zero it wouldn't even deserve that!

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lets see I can only think of one pro and that is the hours.

Cons

This is the worst job you will ever have in your entire life. If you want to get paid less to do all the work. Managers don't know how to do anything and just complain about doing anything at all, they just sit in the office all day and talk. You do all the work, which is another thing, they just swamp you with work. Constant Planogram changes and trucks never ends. when you have only 2 people braking down and putting away truck and changing the store around you never have time to stock or clean up. They pay the sales people more than the merchandisers and the sales people just stand around all day. Then when you have a day off the sales people create more work for you by not knowing where anything goes or selling displays with box stock available. The people at coorperate are so clueless or anything sending trucks the day before audits of same days as inventory. Or the 'ordering' What a joke that is they put things on sale and send you a bazillion of something that sits around and then they send hardly any of what people want! Some days you spend half your day appoligizing to customers for being out of product. And From what i hear the managers get money for buying lunch each month Yea How bout 1 time a year you get a free lunch!! Then you get 1 review a year and the dont even really review your job, and what they do review of your job they just say you did ok! so they don't have to go the extra mile to get you 50 cents!! Yea thats right 25 cents a year raise!! That is pretty sad! When coorperate sends out like 4 flyers a year about all the parties they have there!! What a crappy place to work!

Advice to Management

do something!!

10. HORRORS!!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary for managers is adequate

Cons

Low paid workers, managers who care about nothing but butt-smooching their superiors, Store Mangers who play favorites, rampant sexual harassment without ANY consequences, Regionals who are clueless as to what happens in the stores, and managers who work ONLY 6am til 2pm and have no idea what goes on with the business. Assistant managers are required to do everything in the store to make the manager look good and never get one iota of credit! Cashiers have to have a manager sign off even for an even exchange or return of a 99 cent item! NOT a family friendly atmosphere as they constantly say in interviews....you NEVER see your family with this company. Your PTO disappears when you request a regular day off.....managers arbitrarily use up your time without your permission.

Advice to Management

Quit making announced visits....regionals and managers are in cahoots to MAKE you think everything is running smoothly. Managers start working what the SOP calls for one night per week and one weekend per month!

11. Horrible and lazy management. Always passing the buck and never fixing problems.

Current Employee - Employee in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few decent people here and there. Work and home life pretty fair most of the time. That's about it

Cons

Pretty much everything, horrible pay, shitty raises, awful management from store and corporate levels. Breaks non existent, like pulling teeth to get your OWN paid vacation days.

Advice to Management

Employees run this store, maybe you should start listening to those people instead of doing nothing.

RSS Feed </> Embed