Northern Tool + Equipment Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Donald L. Kotula

Pros
  • They offered great opportunities for a work-life balance with half days every other Friday (in 5 reviews)

• One of these core values is to HAVE FUN (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is stuck in the mire of old school thinking (in 2 reviews)

• Can't get benefits as a part time employee and stores are so small that if someone is sick or fired (in 2 reviews)

1. Very hard to advance

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours People friendly Friendly competition

Cons

Terrible management Unorganized Bad communication overall

2. Fun times

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very fun environment and super awesome co-workers

Cons

Recent changes to composition plan.

Advice to Management

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For retail it is easy for a work and family balance. If you are relatively organized this is easy for an experienced manager.

Cons

Can not execute new programs effectively. It is difficult maintaining inventory levels in key areas when new products are introduced.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of day to day processes. Follow up at least twice weekly on low inventory areas.

5. Great Place to Work and Grow!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool + Equipment is a wonderful place to work, and it is truly a great place to work and grow as both an individual and as a team member. I love working here, and believe it is an invaluable life experience for me. My management is fantastic, my coworkers are great, I could not have asked for a better experience. They are really good at working around my college schedule, and always try to put me first. I get paid well.

Cons

They only cons that I can think of are, it is unreliable hours if you are part time (which is any part time job, usually), and if you wish to transition to full time, that can be a difficult process. Also, I do not receive benefits, or any vacation/sick time at all (which is to be expected out of a part time position).

Advice to Management

I firmly believe in my core that this is a wonderful place to work. I have worked in several different locations in my region, and the experience truly depends on who is working there with you. I do wish that procedure would remain the same throughout different locations, but everyone does things their own way.

6. Sales

Pros

Straight forward typical retail position.

Cons

No where to move up to. Commission is lousy.

7. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time

Pros

The company has a good product base, with loyal customers. The company has good benefits. Store Closes at 8 pm, never many late nights.

Cons

The amount of payroll in the stores is very limited compared to other retail.

Good Culture

Current Employee - Store Manager in Clover, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Clover, SC

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is exceptional for retail. Adequate compensation. You have the opportunity to make a difference for your customers every day.

Cons

Too many corporate distractions. Everyone has an agenda. No way to plan staffing for "truck day". Company is still slowly making its way in retail operations.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. The initiatives are great but always seem to go way overboard. Allow time for training and personal development. Store personnel is the greatest asset in brick and morter retail.

9. Good Start for Sales and Customer Service!

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Pequot Lakes, MN
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Pequot Lakes, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, monthly prizes for reaching sales goals, daily giveaways, overall a warm atmosphere and great place to work especially when first starting out in the sales industry. In house training on all product knowledge, and occasionally vendors come in to train you on products as well. Offers great benefits, pay is fair along with commision. You control your own commission and if you're really good at selling you'll be living large no time. No face to face with customers all over the phone, chat, or email support.

Cons

I don't always agree with Northern's procedures. They are one of the few retail companies that don't offer free shipping and customers let you know it constantly! Customers are constantly complaining about shipping costs - and I agree with them. Northern ties sales reps hands so it's hard to help the customer. Though 8/10 customer is being unreasonable. Even though they offer product training to an extent - I still feel it's not enough. The more product training the better. The business itself can get to you. If you aren't familiar with Northern's product and/or lack knowledge of the industry (tools & equipment) than it's hard to relate to customers and give honest advice and feedback, and it can take a toll on you.

Advice to Management

Offer more product training. When a rep is comfortable and confident about the product the customer will sense this and trust the rep, making calls go much easier. Cross train reps to other areas of support more often to break up types of contact with customers so it's not so stressful.

10. It

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

The hours are good for retail management. You almost never have to work past 8:30, and you can usually work 40-45 hours per work. Hourly employees usually have pretty good hours too. The benefits are decent, albeit expensive.

Cons

The pay for retail management is abysmal. The new, smaller stores are practically dead, often selling less than $5k per day. It can be hard to move up in the company unless you are okay with moving all over the country. Also, the region I worked in was massively sexist, so try to avoid being a woman in management there. Also, corporate is really good about defanging management so they have little to no authority. You have to TRY to get fired from Northern.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to stop creating the worthless "C2" stores that are like a 7-11 of tools. They don't get enough sales, and they don't have stuff people want. They need to give management the freedom to be successful, and a budget to do so as well. They also need to axe the guy running the Missouri/Iowa/Kansas stores as he is really sexist.

11. Great Company

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very family friendly

Cons

Sometimes gets in to do more with less

RSS Feed </> Embed