Northern Tool + Equipment

www.northerntool.com
Employer Engaged

Warehouse and merchandising part time as student

Former Employee - Merchandising Team in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Merchandising Team in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment, friendly coworkers, awesome management that worked very hard and didn't mind helping out when someone needed, flexible scheduling. I was never micro managed and was trusted fully to complete tasks without anyone breathing down my neck.

Cons

Pay wasn't great, but what to expect as a part time student doing a job that any monkey could do?

Keep up the good work.

Part time/FT

Former Employee - Product Placement in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Product Placement in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for.
    Flexible with school and military service.
    Good starting pay compared to other small retail jobs in the area.

Cons

Not the Job for a lazy person.

A Great Company to Work for that is headed in the right direction.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Life balance is a real policy within the company. Management WORKS every third Sunday. You really leave at a decent time for your family, All employees have weekends off on a steady rotation and schedules are 3 weeks out for more life planning. Pay is better than average retail and bonus potential for sales team and management is regularly attainable as well as cashiers getting opportunities to increase their pay with achievable competitive incentives. Solid benefits with just a lot of cool stuff to sell.

Cons

Not too many....Sometimes the traffic is slow which could affect sales at some sites and make the days seem longer. HR may make you feel as if their talk doesn't match their walk, but the regional managers help to clean up any deficits.

Pay is fair for the process oriented environment. Be prepared to follow a regimented routine to assist daily productivity. Assistant Managers run the stores with the Store Manager overseeing the entire process. As always focus on hiring the best and train up to make them better.

I have been with the company over 6 years.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's an easy job. Other workers make it fun

Cons

Low pay, low raises
    Management thinks they are too good to help out on the register.

Higher more workers. So much money has walked out of the door because we're short handed.

Job from hell!

Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good benefits.....wish i had more to say

Cons

low pay, low raises, watching people go into management that were not hired form within the company....bummer not a job to grow with. Management is terrible! too cozy, think they are to good to "work" with the other employees....god complex.
    spp upsales turned ridiculous in jan.2014....more of a mentally stressful job than anything. cheaply made merchandise

Management needs an update, protocol also a bit on the ridiculous side. Main thing to work on as a company is go through your stores and separate all the family members that work together, it's not fair to everyone else ex. death in family....store is short handed and management wont do anything about it. the store i worked in there were 5 family members working together.....its 2014 people! i would never recommend this job to ANYONE! I don't even like the fact i have to give this review a star to be rated. Oh and watch your personal information, the corporate headquarters gave mine out to another party with out my consent!

Great work/life balance

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool Corporate has great work/life balance and truly values their employees. Needing flexibility for family reasons is easily granted. The position expectations are realistic. The company's core values truly define the culture.

Cons

They can, at times, be resistant to change and are not always accepting of new ideas.

Push your management team harder at the corporate office. They can accomplish a lot more and still have the work/life balance they have today. Set deadlines and keep them.

Great company to work for But no opportunity

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff great company to work for if your in college and wonderful customers.

Cons

favoritism hours raise and fall almost every quarter really small room for opportunity only if your cool with management.

Average staff and products overall

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Customers are fun and pleasant

Cons

poor hourly rate and commisions

Very poor management and merchandising

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. A decent place to work for the first few months then the new store manager got there and after that it was all down hill.

Cons

Poor pay. More junk than tools. Selling SPP above & beyond doing anything else of to the point of losing your job. Poorest store manager in the country.

Try hiring a store manager that doesn't make a new hire ready to quit after the first week. Also having one that doesn't make customers mad on an almost daily basis and not firing an ASM that customers actually like and come back to see would be a tremendous help. FYI I was employed for 5+ years so I did notice a few things. Unfortunately in the USA a manager is a dictator because you can say nothing negative towards one or else.

Great culture, great core values

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Northern Tool is growing fast but still maintains a small company culture where you feel like an asset, not a corporate cog. Management sets high expectations and gives you the tools to achieve them. This company has a great work/life balance and puts a priority on family. Northern Tool lists 6 "Core Values" as its foundation. One of these core values is to HAVE FUN! We are given opportunities to have fun and encouraged to do so. What more can I say?

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Keep it up!