Northern Trust

www.northerntrust.com

Northern Trust Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Northern Trust President, CEO, and Director, Northern Trust Corporation and Northern Trust Company Rick Waddell

Rick Waddell

Pros
  • Culture that built a great reputation serving clients well and supports work/life balance(in 98 reviews)

• Great Pay for entry positions, set schedule, good benefits, but pricey depending(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • management in some divisions punishes employees for voicing concerns to senior management(in 16 reviews)

• Management does not care about your home work life balance(in 7 reviews)

201 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHigh level of integrity and quality of service.

ConsLots of employees with very long tenure but culture is changing to one that does not encourage long tenures. Accountability is increasing but compensation is not adjusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's encouraging to see people who don't make the cut let go. This was not the case in the past. Rewarding those who stand out is needed too and that is not happening much. Survival is not a great incentive.

Trust Management

Senior Client Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSolid firm with long term focus. Employees are valued and Northern Trust has comprehensive benefits and coverages for all employees

ConsNot always able to make decisions as quickly or transparently as would be liked by those on the front lines.

Sr. Software consultant in IT

Vice President (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat company in Chicago for IT department. Employees are very happy with work and life balance. Flexible work schedule.

ConsSome technologies are not properly utilized. But we see changes now.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome IT areas are very critical. Please make sure we have enough staff(Full time) before the key resource/s move out of the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Atmosphere

Senior Teller (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany is much less stressful than retail banks. Offers a decent salary. Branches are closed on Saturdays! People are nice. Good PTO.

ConsTechnology is out dated. Very conservative company. No bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to be less conservative and more outgoing. If they put me in charge I would invest more in technology, and work our way out of the cave where the conservative mind frame dwells in.

Slow but steady.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCollegial atmosphere, low pressure, client-centric, conservative.

ConsSlow career path, so-so compensation, outdated technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentives to perform well need to be enhanced.

A place to start.

Alternative Investment Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLooked highly upon in the industry, known as a great custodian with expertise in the area. Work life as many have stated if you are looking for that.

ConsNot the place to be if you are a fast mover. Many people around me have been there many years and are doing the same job as me. They seem to promote what is left which is usually experienced people in the company but probably aren't the brightest or ambitious.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a program to really give young go getters a vision of what their career could look like at Northern, otherwise it is just a stopping place where many move on.

Hedge Fund Services

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHedge Fund Services is a great position for anyone coming out of college. You gain experience the operation side of trading

ConsThere is no formal training so you must learn as you go. Most teams are at capacity so you will need to be patient when asking for help

Rec and Control. Awful group. Awful hours. Get in your silo and keep your mouth shut.

Hedge Fund Operations Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompensation is decent based on industry standards. The insurance benefits are decent but still run $500 for family BCBS. Training is available, if you ever have a desire to spend time at work beyond the 10-12 hour work days. Good opportunity if you're looking to add a high volume administrator to your professional experience.

ConsHedge Fund Services has carried on Citadel's work culture. If you're not Citadel / Omnium legacy, your chances of inner-department promotion are low. Management does not care about your home work life balance. You will work 10-12 hours a day in this group without blinking. The department is full of 20somethings that live walking distance to the office, and drink away their troubles together late into the night. If you have a family or do not live in the city, you should think twice about taking a role in this department. You will not get home before 8pm most nights. There are very few actual perks to this job. The office is sparsely appointed for employee comfort. Promotional opportunities usually require a transfer to a different group. 100% Silo work. Extremely high turnover, and you will be expected to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider giving a crap about your employees. What kind of company has just 1 coffee machine and 1 fridge for a floor of over 200 employees? You aren't Citadel, no matter how much you want to be. Consider adopting the rest of Northern Trust's employee culture.

Northern Trust

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay was decent. Location is great. Technology is mostly current.

ConsNot very friendly people. They are too impressed with the on boarding process to stand back and look at it from an outsider's point of view.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more in touch with the staff. Rotate first level management personnel.

Very Rewarding

Work-life Balance

ConsToo many stakeholders
    Dated technology
    Wrong people in managemenr

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!