Northern Trust

www.northerntrust.com

Northern Trust Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Northern Trust President, CEO, and Director, Northern Trust Corporation and Northern Trust Company Rick Waddell

Rick Waddell

Pros
  • Culture that built a great reputation serving clients well and supports work/life balance(in 98 reviews)

• Great Pay for entry positions, set schedule, good benefits, but pricey depending(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • management in some divisions punishes employees for voicing concerns to senior management(in 16 reviews)

• Management does not care about your home work life balance(in 7 reviews)

Painfully political

ProsJob stability - many people have worked all their adult lives at this company.

ConsNo effort is ever good enough. Salaries are lower than other companies, and raises are meted out in pennies. Politics is ridiculously out of control, and the only criteria for advancement. Diversity is a catch phrase, but the reality is a work environment that is highly discriminatory and condescending in Northern's treatment of lower level women, older people. Token diversity is rampant, which is just as insulting as overt racism. The atmosphere is cold, stiff, intolerant, and non-inclusive. Lots of blame throwing. Life long employees are celebrated dead weight who spend more time working the system than adding productive value or ideas. People do not smile much in this region.

Advice to Senior ManagementI remember once meeting Rick Waddell, who did not say one word but looked at me like I was beneath him and walked away. That said it all.

Reconciliation

ProsIt's a job. Not much else.

ConsLow pay for such a critical position

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times and pay employees market rate. Way too much loss of talent and knowledge due to low pay and poor support by upper management.

Northern Trust

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay was decent. Location is great. Technology is mostly current.

ConsNot very friendly people. They are too impressed with the on boarding process to stand back and look at it from an outsider's point of view.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more in touch with the staff. Rotate first level management personnel.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place to start.

Alternative Investment Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLooked highly upon in the industry, known as a great custodian with expertise in the area. Work life as many have stated if you are looking for that.

ConsNot the place to be if you are a fast mover. Many people around me have been there many years and are doing the same job as me. They seem to promote what is left which is usually experienced people in the company but probably aren't the brightest or ambitious.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a program to really give young go getters a vision of what their career could look like at Northern, otherwise it is just a stopping place where many move on.

Hedge Fund Services

Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHedge Fund Services is a great position for anyone coming out of college. You gain experience the operation side of trading

ConsThere is no formal training so you must learn as you go. Most teams are at capacity so you will need to be patient when asking for help

Derivatives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDependable firm in financial services

ConsPolitics and competitive environment make work difficult.

Established company with establish procedures and policies.

ProsSolid company. Good place to learn how to navigate a large organization. Ability for flex depending on department and role.

ConsLarge organizational structure and tenure of employees sometimes slows ability to enact change.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time, effort and money on some of the "low hanging fruit". Not issue needs a multi-year software implementation. Clean up what you have and hold requestors accountable for requests (post install cost benefit).

Very Rewarding

Work-life Balance

ConsToo many stakeholders
    Dated technology
    Wrong people in managemenr

A excellent financial institute to work for

Document Loan Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is lot's of room for advancement,everyone is a team players, plenty of training to get you going to get the job done in a timely sufficient matter that is beneficiary to the company.

ConsYou get the experience you need, to advance to a higher level, nice compensation,plenty of overtime

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen a new employee comes in for contract position another contracted person shouldn't be the one to train them, and they should give them a chance, at least the minimum of 30 days

Northern Trust Does Not Provide The Training You Need To Be Successful

Derivatives Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDecent pay, prestigious titles, experience

ConsInadequate training, token diversity, covert racism, phony colleagues

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time in proper training and maybe you will see a better return on the TRILLIONS of temps you rely on to make your company go round. Also, it's not smart to stick new hires with idiots who don't know how to train. Not everyone can train/teach. On my 1st day of training, the idiot who was training me was surprised to know that he was even going to have to train me.

I was hired as an OTC Derivatives Analyst, and the NEXT DAY was switched to PIMCO analysis. To put it simply, this wasn't a real analysis position. It was simply a complex data entry position and nothing more. Northern Trust does an excellent job of putting lipstick on pigs when it comes to job titles and job details. If they actually invested in proper software that actually received and managed data properly, the position wouldn't even exist, or at the least would probably be sent off to Bangalore, India.

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!