Northern Virginia Community College

CEO

BEST STUDENT HIRE POSITION - developmental Math Lab ALEXANDRIA CAMPUS

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Management style, team work, flexibility, great coworkers, become proficient at tutoring math, help community college students, great salary in comparison with other student hire and retail jobs

Cons

have to know how to teach students with different social and cultural backgrounds

Okay Place for Faculty

Former Employee - Full-Time Faculty in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Full-Time Faculty in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Stability
    *Good work-life balance
    *Some great students (about 20%)
    *Autonomy; create your own syllabus and course assignments
    *Can easily earn your base salary plus 50% (this is the norm for full-time faculty)
    *Extra pay when enrollment is equal to 45 students after day 45 of semester (1.5 extra credits at adjunct rate)
    *Can pick up 1 or 2 overload courses each semester for extra pay if desired
    *Great student diversity at Alexandria and Woodbridge campuses
    *Once you're hired as a full-time faculty member, you can stay in the job for 30 years if you want
    *Older adults can get a job here as a faculty member

Cons

*Subtle and direct pressure to do whatever it takes, even inflating grades, to get good student evaluations
    *Dean told me that he only cared about student evaluations
    *One colleague gave the questions for tests, before giving the test, presumably to get good student evaluations; this was his normal practice
    *Although I was able to maintain my integrity as a professor and not give in to the everybody passes pressure, everyone may not be able to do this
    *Not enough space for each faculty member to have an office
    *Attended a faculty retreat in which expensive consultants were hired to tell us words we should never say to students and one of the words was "no". We (faculty) all had a great laugh at this! However, the provost, who has never been a full-time faculty member, seemed to think that this made great sense. Go figure
    *Many faculty members are 60+
    *More young people are needed

*Move toward excellence
    *Don't operate like a diploma mill
    *Focus on excellence, rather than increasing enrollment
    *Let deans and assistant deans know that faculty members should not be pressured to pass students who have not earned passing grades

adjunct instructor

Current Employee - Adjuncts Professor in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Adjuncts Professor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

money is at or above standard. Fairly consistent opportunities for part time work. Flexible schedule

Cons

Little chance for advancement. No credible teacher evaluation procedures. Lack of respect for adjuncts. Typical bureaucratic administration which supports administrative staff first, students second, adjuncts last.

pay more attention to adjuncts and the process of advancing.

Great place for stability....but not for being promoted or moving up.

Current Employee - Counselor in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, laid-back, security of your job (for the most part). The health insurance is wonderful.

Cons

Everyone makes the same amount in my department. So if you work hard or if you just show up--you still get paid the same. It can be very frustrating and difficult to stay motivated. It seems as though the best way to move up is to fit in with the "it crowd" and know someone on your hiring committee.

Placing value on your employees is something that should be worked on. Even if due to budget constraints monetary rewards are not an option, there should still be things in place to boost morale and to show that the employees are valued for their hard work.

Great Mission , Needs Great Vision & Strategy in Place

Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Good people, great connections with the students and staff. Good benefits and learning opportunities (some are hard to seek out)

Cons

Disconnected executive leadership, no clear vision for organizational structure/management
    Recycling of workers who only care about a paycheck, not the mission of the College. Keeping ineffective staff & faculty on the payroll when its clear they are a major setback/obstacle to good service to the student mission.

Create a clear vision for the College and stick to it. Ensure that all management levels are committed to the vision and are given the resources to accomplish their goals. Learn how to transition initiatives in a cohesive fashion so it applies the ENTIRE college at the same time.

Great first opportunity

Current Employee - Education Support
    Current Employee - Education Support

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College part-time

Pros

Supervisors care about their employees on an individual basis. Despite some misguided decision-makers at the very top, the lower management encourages us to continue suggesting ideas.

Cons

Student complaints have too high of a priority. Criticisms by students are taken too seriously by administrative deans who do not know how to relate to educators and the issues we deal with.

Increase funding for educational supplement programs.

Great place to settle down.

Current Employee - Computer Operation Tech
    Current Employee - Computer Operation Tech

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Have the best health insurance, great or I can say the best coworkers that I ever found. Management pretty straight forward, and you will learn a lot from here and there if you are willing to spend your free time.

Cons

Its hard to move up, because they do not open lots of position. You will deal with not only faculty or staff but also students. Just make sure, Students meaning people from around the world.

For the pay, we could do a little bit more. Open more position because there are lots of people want to move up.

My experience so far has been amazing!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work as a student because of the work load.

Cons

Not that much benefits for a work study student.

Hard to Get In, Hard to Move Up

Former Employee - Continuing Education Instructor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Continuing Education Instructor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Northern Virginia Community College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great students
    Great Supervisor
    Beautiful Campus
    Freedom to be creative in the classroom

Cons

No room to advance or move around
    Once you are in, you can easily be bumped out
    Rude and ignorant Department Heads

Give students what they want and request. Department heads do not know what instructors know from speaking with students, first hand, in the classroom.

Poor

Current Employee - Regional Director in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northern Virginia Community College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Making a difference for students, quality of life, and local economy.

Cons

Very poorly managed, lack of sensitivity, no leadership, too many egos.

Real, seasoned managers should manage the college and academics should teach.