Northland Investment Corporation

3.5

Steven P Rosenthal

Happy Overall, Room for Improvement

I have been working at Northland Investment Corporation full-time

Pros

*Room for growth, especially in markets with lots of properties (TX, FL)
    *Nice perks - discounted apartment for all positions, DEEPLY discounted for Maint. Lead and CM
    *Awesome people. I truly love my team - including my RM - they are most of the reason i've been here so long.
    *Year end bonuses - a lot of other companies have done away with these
    *Encouraged personal growth

Cons

*Money driven, sometimes to the extreme. Sometimes things don't get done on the property that badly need to be addressed. Lots of 'maybe next year' mentality. When things do get done, it's always to the cheapest person, even if it is not a reputable company.
    *No bonuses for ACM performance or NOI
    *No site-level ability to make concessions or negotiate rents - we often are not able to 'do the right thing' because of corporate money making mentality.
    *Low renewal bonus structure, often don't even get any because of extremely high increases and have to meet certain percentage (the high increases work not only against residents but against office staff too)
    *Salaries are lower than most other companies and raises are very small - they also make managers 'decide' their own raise, which of course puts us in an awkward situation to give more to our staffs and take less for ourselves.
    *Poor communication between departments
    *Employee salaries are often accidentally sent to the entire portfolio on certain reports.

I would love to see some more 'employee' appreciation. Yes, you offer awards sometimes, but employees want a fun day - something that shows you appreciate ALL of us rather than just a couple here and there. I would also love to see the company be more generous with the raises and bonuses, I think we would have much lower turn over if this structure was looked at more closely. I make only $9,000 more than I did as a Leasing consultant than I do as a Manager - -and at least with Leasing I got comissions. So really, I do much more work for almost the same pay. I also know I make less money than less adequate employees and have been with the company twice as long. That doesn't make sense to me. People coming from other companies already are a step ahead in pay grade because they are coming from companies that paid more. This doesn't seem right and I think this is why they lose so many good people so often.

corporate

I have been working at Northland Investment Corporation full-time

Pros

people were nice. benefits were good.

Cons

very sales oriented. So many sales did not involve commission. horrible time off schedule

pay better, listen to employees

Great company!

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager

I worked at Northland Investment Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My Community Manager was extremely supportive and really made sure she always led by example .
    I was fortunate to have been trained by one of the best Community Manager's in the company who encouraged personal growth and development.
    The company promotes a healthy work, life, balance!
    Intelligent Senior Management.
    AMAZING HR and Benefits Department.

Cons

Compensation was low for the amount of work expected.
    I did not feel same support from upper management in terms of encouraging growth and development for the ACM's.
    No incentives/bonues for ACM's.
    SOME of the people inTraining and Development department can be unpleasant which in turn would make you never want to call or email them for help.

I really believe you should compensate better across the board to your people on site who make all the magic happen and VALUE your ACM's and have better incentives for delinquencies, bonuses, etc.
    Northland really is such a great company. I think they need to re-evaluate across the board in order to get to the next level. The competition is fierce out there and you have to be able to compete or you will lose good people.

Great place to gain industry experience

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Northland Investment Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, decent management, good benefits. Northland Investment Corporation is a good company to work for if you are in a market where they own a lot of property. If you can get your foot in the door, you can have your job for life.

Cons

Northland Investment Corporation underpays across the board. Whether it is management, service techs, or leasing staff. The company is still constantly making senseless changes to policy and procedure and they seem to hold on to complacent, and/or lazy employees rather than taking the time to hire qualified professionals. Limited room for advancement if you are in a market with limited properties.

Large Company that doesn't like to spend a lot of Money.

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Northland Investment Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great amount of room for growth, continuous education

Cons

The dress code was changed multiple times. Men were required to wear ties, and women blazers, even during the summer. Summers in Texas= 100 degrees. Bonus structure is archaic. While other companies pay 20% of rental price bonuses, Northland is still giving the standard $35 for five leases, $50 for the next five and then $75 for after that. The payment structure changes, half of the year you don't get your bonuses until two months after residents move in, and sometimes it's the next month. Very high turnover, causing offices to be short staffed for long periods of time
    More work needs to be done with exteriors of some complexes. The pricing doesn't reflect the product.

Change your bonus system so that you don't lose great employees to other companies. Other companies offer NOI and delinquency bonus' as well.

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Accountant in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Newton, MA

I worked at Northland Investment Corporation

Pros

Good place to work if you have a family, they stress a good work/life balance. They have a nice location with parking and the senior management seeks ways to please the staff through events and a pleasant work environment. The overall structure is transparent. I think they have a gym now as well and the holiday party/summer party that are pretty fun. They are still growing so there's a good amount of advancement potential as well.

Cons

The pay package is lower than elsewhere, the management structure changes fairly frequently and there is some uncertainty there. They have competent staff but there are some real slackers.

More transparency, pay more for better people and you'll need less of them.

They were a great company to work for until the last 2 years. A lot of politics to deal with and cut-throat mindset.

Current Employee - Property
    Current Employee - Property

I have been working at Northland Investment Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of autonomy to perform your job well. One of the key players at the corporate office was very progressive and sincerely helped you to achieve goals.

Cons

The politics and games at the corporate office are intense. If you are not liked you won't work for them for long no matter how great you perform.

People are human and make mistakes. Let their history and performance speak before taking improper corrective action.