Northrop Grumman Reviews in Arlington, VA

3.4
1,727 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great learning experience.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

The benefits are good and you are surrounded by good people. I personally liked my manager who seems to be interested in improving the skills of his employees.

Cons

Sometimes you are not compensated well. Accessing Northrop Grumman's websites are very time consuming. For example filling out my time card takes 5 minutes when it should only take 1. There are many errors with their internet websites which prevent employees from accessing their information.

Continue to be honest with your employees and continue to provide employees with means of improving their skills through tuition reimbursement and certifications.

Great to work at while they need you...

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Established company, with lots going on.

Cons

Almost impossible to move to other parts of the company, from where I was at.

Invest in keeping your people within the company and don't let them go because they end up on the bench.

Interesting programs but lacks diversity especially at Executive Level (CxO)

Former Employee - Program Control Analyst  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Program Control Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than a year

Pros

- An abundance of interesting projects / programs that are geared towards our Nation's Defense.
    - Tons of experience can be obtained in multiple competency areas
    - Great place for someone to kick-off their career, allowing individuals to better plan for future career development opportunities

Cons

- Lacks diversity, especially at the senior leadership level
    - Roles are practically silo-ed and opportunity to advance is slim
    - No real learning development for employees
    - Company relies on work provided in Government contracts and its success is largely dependent on it

Management needs to create a more collaborative environment, especially with junior employees. Since the type of the work can be very secretive in nature, management needs to focus on developing younger crowd, obtaining their trust in order to award them opportunities to build their careers at the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovation is key

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Great opportunities to do different stuff, you just have to put yourself out there
    Support from upper management about getting more involved in the company and persuing activities
    Management is trying to be more "innovative" which is really (slowly) shaking things up (positively)
    Internal programs to stimulate employees being empowered to take over their own careers

Cons

If your project ends, you are out of luck. You have to find your own new position and you are given the same priority as an external employee. (although I think this situation depends on the group)
    HR center is worthless, you call for help and they just read back the literature. No deeper understanding of benefits.

Keep pursuing more modern ways of growing the company.
    Find something to do when people have gaps in charge numbers because you can really be loosing great people due to funding issues on projects.
    Employees really like getting involved in helping out

Started well...ended badly

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Good benefits
    Nice family environment
    Flexible work hours

Cons

Pay is not competitive
    Management did not act when they outsourced our jobs
    No loyalty to employees

Have some loyalty to your employees if you expect them to show you loyalty

Working at Norhrop Grumman.

Current Employee - Engineer Technical Support Analyst  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer Technical Support Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Over Northrop Grumman is a good place to work.

Cons

Some of the managers give Northrop Grumman a bad name, because they do not have people and communication skills. Very unsupportive when a good job has been performed. Always look for the negative in things.

As a whole, Management needs to go through a class on communication, respect, and positive feed back in the environment. This will make the workplace a better place for everyone. When this doesn't happen, it lowers the morale of the team; this makes it not a good place to work. Communication is the key. Secondly, being able to listen to your employees, not just tell them what is expected. Always try to find some type of good in everything. This will boost the morale in the work place, and make it a happier work environment.

Good overall company.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

They strive to give you additional opportunities for growth. There are a lot of different types of positions so if you want to move to something else completely different you can. NGMS also has a good name within the Defense sector, and has positions all over the country and overseas, which offers a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits compared to competitors. Put shareholders before employees. They also won't put you on overhead if your contract is cut, whereas most other large companies will at least short term. They are also just generally pretty stingy with money, such as no holiday parties.

Treat employees as a resource.

It's a job.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Northrop has a good diversity of interesting work, albeit the domain tends to be government contracting, mostly in defense. My line management has always been good to strong, though I know of many managers who I woudln't want to work for. The office space and computers have always been fairly nice (no cubicles). Flex time is permitted from one time period to another and I have never had request for time off not approved. In general I have always felt supported and recognized for initiative I have taken. I have also taken advantage of educational benefits.

Cons

Turnover can be very high on certain contracts. It also isn't easy to move laterally, so even though there is a diversity of work you don't get a lot of opportunity to take advantage of this so I don't think career development is a high priority for the company. The sick leave is combined with vacation, and as a result they get away with giving you less leave than if you had separate banks. They don't consistantly hire good people, and getting rid of bad people is very difficult. Also, because of the emphasis on defense, you don't have a lot of opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies (coding can still be done in ADA).

Please try to improve career development options for staff. Most times, you are just dropped on a contract and are limited to the opportunities on that contract or in the immediate business area. That's fine if you just want a paycheck, but many people, especially in the younger generations, like to feel a career progression. There are some limited programs like the managment rotation one, but any kind of technical rotation doesn't seem to exist.

Get what you can out of the experience

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

The benefits are the best reasons for working at Northrop Grumman Mission Systems. Benefits are comparable to its competitors.

Cons

The downsides of working at Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is there is no career advancement and the good old boy network definitely still exists. The organization is top heavy so advancement is limited.

I recommend to Senior Management to recruit and mentor young talent.

Ok, for engineering

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Large company, a lot of different projects

Cons

The focus is on getting contracts

Focus more on the employees

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!