Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Reviews in Carson, CA

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights
17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work/life balance

Software Engineer III (Former Employee) Carson, CA

ProsAwesome work life balance. Hours are very flexible and time off is very generous.

ConsCompensation is lower than other tech companies as a software engineer.

Great place to work

Electrical Engineer III (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsGreat benefits compare to the small private companies.

ConsNot easy to get overtime....
    Keep cutting existing benefits. Sad for the new hires...:(

Advice to Senior Managementcould be better

Adventurous - With Ups and Downs

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsThis is a great company with nice compensation depending on experience. It is a large company with many opportunities to enhance your career, so it is easy to stay in just one company. Since it is large, each program has its own culture, leadership and process. Generally, managers do look out for you when you need another project to go to. There are a lot of company jobs out there that you can also apply for yourself. Since it's a defense company you have a chance to work with many interesting military technologies and challenges. Just like anywhere, a good reputation counts at Northrop Grumman, which will be advantageous when you need to transition to another project, or position.

ConsIt's easy to feel comfortable in the same position, so try to learn as much as you can about other functional areas so that you can understand the business, and enable you take advantage of new opportunities.

The opportunities are not always available in California.

Leadership varies among project and organizations.

I'm not sure if this is a company wide issue, but I find that in the past, some hiring managers fail to follow-up with job seeking employees, and don't return emails or phone calls. Managers should communicate with the employee directly or via the Talent System and provide the status of interview process, whether denied, in-process, etc. I understand that there may be a lot of candidates to consider, but at least inform the job seeker, so that other arrangements can be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen there are important technical issues to be solved, perhaps management should consider and encourage all team members in the project to participate, and not just work group members. Sometimes non-working group members may have invaluable insight which may lead to a better solution. Cultivate an open communication among employees, and catch and reward good behavior; the reward doesn't have to be monetary. Grow employees so that the project can improve by taking advantage of the existing skill set of each employee, which may extend beyond his or her functional area. Encourage employees to cross-learn other functions areas, doing this may lead to better solutions, and ultimately a better product.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gets worse each year

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsWork-life balance, you just do your 9 hours and go home. Unless there's a deadline, you won't work overtime very often. Friendly coworkers.

ConsExtremely low pay for your experience level. Management has cut the pay raises for the last 2 years for "budget reasons", so after 2-3 years your salary is far below the industry average. Upper/middle management is very poor. They wonder why our annual engagement (i.e. employee morale) surveys are so low each year, but then cut our raises and have no incentive in place for hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to actually keep your talented people, then PAY them what they're worth. After years of working hard to only get a microscopic raise each year, people will either leave for better paying work, or get demotivated and just work really lazily. And enough with trying to blow smoke to your employees by telling them that a 2% raise is actually "very good"

Working with system developers, at the lowest levels, is very satisfying

Senior Software/Database Engineer (Former Employee) Carson, CA

ProsThe people that actually do the work are highly qualified.

ConsCompany is not a CMMI 5, Some managers need a lot of (re-)education of process.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to listen to the developers on the ground doing the work; and need better metrics.

Pretty good work-life balance but relatively low pay and very limited opportunities for growth

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsSurrounded by friendly, smart people, the work (of the company although not always of the individual) is meaningful and important. The navy and airforce customers are highly professional and knowledgeable. Work-life balance is one of the best aspects of the job with 9/80 (every other Friday off) schedule and a "work whenever to get your job done by the deadline" mentality.

ConsFunding issues, contract issues, poor management have gotten progressively worse over the 4 years of working here. Even work-life balance has suffered as people get laid off and contracts are bid at lowest possible price. Non-existent raises and promotions, very limited training opportunities (mostly online classes and brown bags).

Middle Management needs a shakeup

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsThe work was decent and interesting. They also allow a 9/80 schedule which is a big plus! Pay is decent.

ConsSeniority over attitude. Policy consistently result in the best and brightest leaving (e.g. requiring relocation across the country, only seriously considering the opinions of the grey beards)

Middle management, in my experience is extremely lacking in this technology company. This is across the spectrum from technological understanding to work practices. For instances it's commonly acceptable for management to make statements like "I really don't understand this, its for the smart people to understand" in regards to basic technology concepts like ethernet or Linux. Management also values working overtime and doing nothing higher then working 8 hours and accomplishing task. The more hours you sit at your desk, there is just an assumption that your actually doing more. There is also no vision or risk taking whatsoever and this costs the company overall in loss of contracts due to stagnation. Middle management also cannot identify key people and skill levels of the employees.

I will say though, that this is my experience at one location, other sectors and locations may or may not be different.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some chances, not just on technology but people. Consider promoting based on merit, enthusiasm and ideas rather then just years in service.

Also work harder to retain good people. I've seen some great people leave due to lack of opportunity. Some of these people cannot be replaced and can be extremely productive.

Constant cuts to benefits are a clear signal to employees to look elsewhere. Management should address this to retain good employees

review

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Carson, CA

Proscompany resources are vast, top notch employees

Conspoor leadership at division level

Advice to Senior Managementleverage younger employees more effectively. age discrimination is rampant

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsGood co-worker, lots of resource to help

ConsMico-management, depend on some program

Very interesting work if you can get it

APM (Former Employee) Carson, CA

ProsWork was varied and interesting. The people working there were very dedicated and aware they were providing products that would be used by the American soldier. The quality of the work saved American soldiers' lives.
    One more good thing: since you needed a security clearance to work there, you didn;t need to worry about your job be outsourced offshore.

ConsThe funding levels were always fluctuating which meant that staffing levels on projects was constantly changing. And having the US government as the sole customer was a real pain.
    Having a security clearance was a burden even if you were not working on a classified project. For example, you were required to report any contact with foreign nationals --- quite the burden if you live in an area like So Cal which has a large immigrant population. Also, before you took any vacation overseas you had to fill out paperwork about your trip and itinerary down to your flight and seat assignments. And of course a detailed report when you returned.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!