Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Global Supply Chain

Global Supply Chain (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

Prosamazingly flexible work environment, great benefits, focus on leadership and succession planning, market leader in unmanned and several Space areas, CEO has transitioned much of our financials to best in class, stock price shows you we are on the rise.

ConsCulture trumps strategy. Lots of cultural traits, derived from military and other history, impede doing things differently. Innovation is stifled by bureaucracy

Save Yourself a big Headache

Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsPay is genreally better than average.

ConsImmoral Management
    Vindictive Management
    Uneducated Leaders
    Prefer to make money from rework rather than good honest engineering
    Lie to customer on a regular basis about cost progress, just everything
    They are totally incompetent

Advice to Senior ManagementYour time is up.

Verry rewarding and challenging

Engineer V (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsMany opportunities for expanding jobs skills. Work with a wide variety of people, Using my imagination is encouraged. I get constructive criticism on my work, enabling me to do a better job. Management is trying hard to get employees more engage and thus produce better products.

ConsNorthrop Grumman is very bottom line oriented. Even though (i believe sincerely) Northrop Grumman is trying to do the right things by their employees, a top priority is lowering cost, which can negatively affect employees (i.e. forced to move or be laid off).

Also, how well you are perceived as doing your job can be heavily dependent on your relationship with your management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have spent half of my career at NGC California. It is a wonderful company to work for.

Program Cost Schedule and Control Analyst IV (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsCareer growth and upward mobility, great benefits, close to home.

ConsNone at this current time.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Decent, but trending downward

Industrial Security Analyst (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsSalaries are not the highest in the industry, but are generally good.
    Pretty good 401k contributions and benefits (medical, dental, vision, etc).
    Lots of locations to transfer between, if necessary/desired.
    Technical professions are highly valued (especially senior engineers).

ConsCompany management has become fixated on short-term results (stock price).
    Lower level employees not sufficiently valued. This is a company that places more importance on seniority and personal connections than skill or work ethic.
    Very slow career progression as older employees do not retire often.
    Upper management pushing "engagement" to drive performance, but middle management is highly resistant thus far (approx 3 years since launch)
    Indirect functions (HR, Security, Facilities, etc) are significantly underfunded, understaffed and disrespected

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance is essential, but don't lose sight of what drives performance... Employees. Upper management is too focused on short-term metrics and rewarding senior employees. Meanwhile, the bulk of the workforce (exempt levels 1-4) is revolting against current plans to shift even more compensation away from the rank and file and more towards Managers, Directors and Executives. This used to be a company that people wanted to spend 30-40 years working for. But now, because the company doesn't invest in them, employees are beginning to see this as "just another job." The irony is that much lip service is being given to greater employee engagement while the company destroys the conditions necessary to improve engagement.

If you want to work in Dilbertville for a pointy-haired boss....

Engineer (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsRight now there are none. Senior management has lost focus and is consumed by pursuing Dilbertesque management practices. The latest flavor-of-the-month is "Engagement".

ConsSomeone sold senior management a bill of goods with "Engagement". This is another non-value-added boondoggle along with other counterproductive management practices that are currently in place that detract from what should be the core goal of delivering a quality product.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the BS programs like "Engagement" and focus on delivering a product.

Good place to work.

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsPeople will work with you.

ConsVery large company sometimes takes longer to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce amount of Vice presidents

Great Company!

Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsLocation, benefits, personable people (despite us all being engineers), younger management in my department, and cutting edge work.

ConsLot's of whiners. Everyone thinks they're underpaid or entitled to a promotion. Quite a few people wth cynical attitudes about how the industry accomplishes things.

It's understandable that people will complian, but it's necessary to take the appropriate actions to better your situation rather than continue to endure an apparent misery.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart holding people more accountable for their actions, provide incentives for completing tasks ahead of schedule, maintain a sense of urgency in the work we do (don't let people get too comfortable sitting around).

Satisfaction level highly dependent on your location and management.

Test Engineer (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsThe company is still producing some amazing air vehicles and is becoming proficient in other areas as well. Working here definitely provides the opportunity to collaborate on products that will benefit many people with a positive impact on their lives.

ConsThe goal of "affordability" seems to be the only consideration, and employee morale is suffering because of it. For example, the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve are no longer holidays, and while that saves the company money, disgruntled employees will inevitably work less efficiently, thereby costing the company more money in the long run.

I think it'll be a better place to work for when the current generation of managers retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who are aware and deal with the problems, not only the people who control the budget. Obviously you can't spend money on every little problem, but not enough consideration was given to those who knew how to provide solutions.

Goog benefit with pension plans

Subject Matter Expert Level V (Former Employee)
    El Segundo, CA

ProsComparing to most employers, NG has a very good benefit package, which includes two pension plans. Vacation days start from 17 and employees gain 1 additional day every two years.

ConsBig overhead, of course. This is a large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce overhead

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman reviews and ratings in El Segundo, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northrop Grumman CEO Wesley G. Bush. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees.