Northrop Grumman

3.4
1,751 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Manager, Programs  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager, Programs in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is opportunity and training at Northrop Grumman, but only for the self-driven individual. Promotions at the lower levels are given fairly. While annual raises were much better in years past, they have been consistent over hte last few years and a new annual bonus structure has been put in place for top performers.

Cons

Little room for significant upward growth with the log jam of "older" senior management who always seem to find a position when theirs goes away or there is a realignment. The benefits have certainly declined over the years, but most of the competitors of similar size have as well.

Practice what you preach - and enforce it. You can't just put a few flyers or newsletters together on leadership and expect to now have a workforce of leaders. Invest (and recognize) in the younger talent pool and don't force them to leave in order to get promoted.

Office Space

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

- Variations in different locations, units have some autotomy in deciding what culture to uphold, to an extent
    - Good benefits, ok pay
    - Actually more vacation time/work from home allowances than expected

Cons

- Outdated technology for the most part. This is sort of institutional because of the nature of government contracting.
    - Onboarding/welcoming process was poor
    - Most people don't seem to care/are already checked out of their careers
    - Upper management does not seem to be in touch with employees
    - Company does not really pay for training. Offers it, but you'll have to do it on top of work, so most people don't.

- Talk to employees
    - Focus on good engineering practices
    - Loosen up

Good work just gets a pat on the back

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The travel opportunities have been fantastic, I have great insurance at a good price, and I get to work with some truly talented people everyday. I also have a flexible work schedule, so I can shift my hours around as needed to accommodate outside activities.

Cons

Despite excellent performance reviews, it can be difficult to advance here. This is based on both my own experience as well as watching several others get frustrated and eventually leave the company for large pay increases and better work environments.

After the first year or two, stop being obsessed with whether someone has a certain degree or certification and focus more on the work they are doing and the customer satisfaction that results.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

routine & average

Former Employee - Intern  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, good reputation, nice employee base, smart people to work with in general. However, a lot of it is defense

Cons

I got this job through a matching program at my school, and I was kind of free to do what I want as long as it is related to DSP. I ended up not doing a lot due to lack of guidance.

Age discrimination rampant, devoted my entire career NG (appropo) & given two week to go, no outplacement support.

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ample training, good benefits, nobody really cares about productivity so you won't feel any pressure, good place to work if you have a heart condition.

Cons

Poor communication, a sense of going nowhere, executive bonus plans creates a culture of haves and have nots. Leadership of over promoted administrative types, very poor on the technical side, consider other companies that invest in technology. be ready to spend inordinate time on the latest good idea from a management seminar.

be engaged, many of your top managers are just talking heads who do no real work.

People

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

stable, well-known, numerous locations, large

Cons

Treated as a number, impersonal

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Northrop Grumman offers okay benefits and many locations depending on what function you'll be working on and free coffee and tea.

Cons

Unstable industry making employees out for themselves to try to keep their jobs. Low moral evident in employee's Gallup Poll on their managers but nothing is really done or said for fear of retaliation.

If your managers have low Gallup Poll ratings for several years, bring in people to fix the issues. The managers themselves obviously haven't.

Great Place to stay for the long term, Not a place for quick Promotions

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Family atmosphere, Working with some of the smartest people in the world. Opportunity to learn new things and be on the cutting edge of technology and defense.

Cons

No opportunity to move up, very, very slow promotions. If the government pulls funding the program you are on can be cut at anytime.

You are losing middle carereer professionals because you pay the older non productive professional for to long and you under pay the lower career professioanls because they are expendable. Spend more time and effort on the middle career professionals, this is your future.

It's a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, work with great people. I have been able to use corporate aircraft for my personal use when needed, in conjunction with other executives.

Cons

Some of the management is a little out of touch. The vacation policy is a little out of whack, even though they are generous with vacation time, per se.

Company does not act like the 1NG that they promote.

Current Employee - FTL Systems Engineer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - FTL Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Compensation is very competitive. If you can find the correct program to be on, there may be cutting edge work that will challenge and help you grow.

Cons

Those "good" programs that I spoke of? They're diamonds in the rough, especially in Information Technology. You are constantly surrounded by people who are grossly outdated. No matter how much company leadership says they want to bring in young blood to come up with the next great ideas, the young employees typically get stuck doing busy work that effectively stunt their growth as engineers. Good and bad programs aside, Northrop Grumman as a whole does not act like one cohesive company. There is very little communication of opportunities cross company sectors, and more often than not employees are discouraged or blocked from looking towards opportunities in other sectors.

You need to do more than offer the company cool aid and above average compensation to keep new young talent. What we crave more than anything is good challenging work in our area of interest. If this is not possible, don't over promise and under deliver.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!