Northrop Grumman

Updated May 22, 2014

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good work just gets a pat on the back

Fairfax, VA

ProsThe travel opportunities have been fantastic, I have great insurance at a good price, and I get to work with some truly talented people everyday. I also have a flexible work schedule, so I can shift my hours around as needed to accommodate outside activities.

ConsDespite excellent performance reviews, it can be difficult to advance here. This is based on both my own experience as well as watching several others get frustrated and eventually leave the company for large pay increases and better work environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter the first year or two, stop being obsessed with whether someone has a certain degree or certification and focus more on the work they are doing and the customer satisfaction that results.

routine & average

Intern (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsDecent pay, good reputation, nice employee base, smart people to work with in general. However, a lot of it is defense

ConsI got this job through a matching program at my school, and I was kind of free to do what I want as long as it is related to DSP. I ended up not doing a lot due to lack of guidance.

Age discrimination rampant, devoted my entire career NG (appropo) & given two week to go, no outplacement support.

Senior Director (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsAmple training, good benefits, nobody really cares about productivity so you won't feel any pressure, good place to work if you have a heart condition.

ConsPoor communication, a sense of going nowhere, executive bonus plans creates a culture of haves and have nots. Leadership of over promoted administrative types, very poor on the technical side, consider other companies that invest in technology. be ready to spend inordinate time on the latest good idea from a management seminar.

Advice to Senior Managementbe engaged, many of your top managers are just talking heads who do no real work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

Prosstable, well-known, numerous locations, large

ConsTreated as a number, impersonal

Pays the bills

Accounting (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsNorthrop Grumman offers okay benefits and many locations depending on what function you'll be working on and free coffee and tea.

ConsUnstable industry making employees out for themselves to try to keep their jobs. Low moral evident in employee's Gallup Poll on their managers but nothing is really done or said for fear of retaliation.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your managers have low Gallup Poll ratings for several years, bring in people to fix the issues. The managers themselves obviously haven't.

Great Place to stay for the long term, Not a place for quick Promotions

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsFamily atmosphere, Working with some of the smartest people in the world. Opportunity to learn new things and be on the cutting edge of technology and defense.

ConsNo opportunity to move up, very, very slow promotions. If the government pulls funding the program you are on can be cut at anytime.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing middle carereer professionals because you pay the older non productive professional for to long and you under pay the lower career professioanls because they are expendable. Spend more time and effort on the middle career professionals, this is your future.

It's a great company to work for.

Fairfax, VA

ProsGreat benefits, great salary, work with great people. I have been able to use corporate aircraft for my personal use when needed, in conjunction with other executives.

ConsSome of the management is a little out of touch. The vacation policy is a little out of whack, even though they are generous with vacation time, per se.

Company does not act like the 1NG that they promote.

FTL Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsCompensation is very competitive. If you can find the correct program to be on, there may be cutting edge work that will challenge and help you grow.

ConsThose "good" programs that I spoke of? They're diamonds in the rough, especially in Information Technology. You are constantly surrounded by people who are grossly outdated. No matter how much company leadership says they want to bring in young blood to come up with the next great ideas, the young employees typically get stuck doing busy work that effectively stunt their growth as engineers. Good and bad programs aside, Northrop Grumman as a whole does not act like one cohesive company. There is very little communication of opportunities cross company sectors, and more often than not employees are discouraged or blocked from looking towards opportunities in other sectors.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do more than offer the company cool aid and above average compensation to keep new young talent. What we crave more than anything is good challenging work in our area of interest. If this is not possible, don't over promise and under deliver.

hire and fire environment

Oracle Database Administrator (Former Employee)

Prosgood work life balance. I got flex time if I worked over 40 hours a week
    managers did not scream at me or go crazy even under stress

ConsI worked on The Defense Travel System. If you google it, you will see congress has been trying to kill it for years.

Hire/Fire environment. They staff up and staff down. When your project staffs down, if you are not a perfect fit for a new job, you don't get it.
    Absolutely NO career development. If you go into a job you stay there. You are blocked from moving to other things.
    Though they have technical levels or even manager levels, there are virtually no promotions technical levels. you have to quit and come back to get promoted.
    They block people on unclassified projects from getting security clearances since those managers don't want to lose people. So if you are not doing classified work and your project ends, you will probably be laid off (you get 2 weeks pay).

They fire managers constantly. I worked there for 2 years and all of the development managers turned over twice. They fired 2 test managers and 2 operations managers. It was musical chairs with managers. They even fired a manager that was commended by the department of defense and who we all liked. It is really annoying.
    I had a manager curse his boss in front of us and tell us constantly that he hated his job.
    They fire contractors constantly. We turned over all of the contractors more than once in 2 years. They fire contractors so much that they are afraid to do any work at all. They fear that if they get noticed they get fired. They had a contract manager there who bragged about firing 50 people/week. They don't fire technical employees much unless it is a staff down layoff.

Even in a down economy, their compensation is way below what you can get elsewhere. They were recently advertising a job in the group I was in. I was contacted about it. The numbers were about $40-50k less than I can easily get elsewhere.

Advice to Senior Managementstop firing all the managers. it got hard to even remember their names after a while.
    stop firing all the contractors. They don't produce when you do this. They are afraid to get noticed.
    when you pay as little as you do, your not going to get or keep good people.

Who's on first?

Fairfax, VA

ProsNGC provides great benefits, very military friendly

ConsUncertain economy, uncertain contractor environment/future work

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman reviews and ratings in Fairfax, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northrop Grumman CEO Wesley G. Bush. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees.