Northrop Grumman

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

30+ years with the company

Director (Current Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsGreat pension plan and good technology company. Try to take care of their people where they can, but it's changing due to down turn of our business..

ConsContinue to cut costs to be competitive including defined pension. Management seems to not care for employees other than providing self serving advice...

Technically challenging and interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsOpportunity to exercise technical skills room for advancement into many areas

ConsWorking within the framework of government contracts can be challenging

23 years with Northrop Grumman

Director, Communications (Former Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsVERY smart people, Great company, Excellent benefits!

ConsNone. None. None. None. None.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place to stay

Subcontract Administrator (Current Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsGreat benefits and the opportunity to make a career. It is a crown jewel in a resume. A good option for young people.

ConsJob security is relatively easy. Legacy employees are arrogant sometimes, but a rare occurrence. Opportunities for advancement is limited. Politicos have the advantage. If you are a straight shooter, this is not your company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeen here 4 years. Pretty political but no more than usual. Excellent benefits, average salary. .

Summer Intern

College Intern I (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedule 9/80
    Some managers try to help you succeed
    Most people are friendly with a few loners
    Workload is not overbearing
    Compensation is fair for an intern

ConsLack of networking activities
    Nepotism is evident throughout the company
    Relocation assistance was denied because I was 2 miles short of 50 miles one way
    No paid time off for interns

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up more activities outside of work for the interns to network.

Great Company to build a career

Business Manager (Current Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsWhat keeps me at Northrop is the great people you work with everyday. The company is really focused on employee development and engagement.

ConsRoom for advancement can be somewhat limited depending on your location, organization, or the department in which you may work.

Good place to launch career.

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsPDP, Leadership programs, extensive training on cutting edge technology. The workload was fairly decent considering the defense industry climate.

ConsLow raises, bureaucracy leads to new positions, when good at what you do it can be difficult to move to new job functions, layoffs at least once a year. Good ole boy network, nepotism shown towards 'favored' employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStsrt clipping off the top of the food chain (management) rather than regular engineering/business personnel.

Its not what you know its who you know unless you are a woman and in that case neither required.

Linthicum, MD

Pros- Impossible to get fired.
    - friendly employees
    - year around 9/80 work schedule

Cons- employeesssible to get an interview to get promoted in to management despite exceeding qualifications. Jobs are predetermined for hand picked employees and posting to hire process is just a formality.
    - company has a "high potentials" list comprised by upper management primarily based on popularity and children of executives. If you didnt make the list then dont expect to move up in the company.
    - Personal salary increase of less then 1% per year over a five year period. Despite the fact that work was highly regarded and only limiting factor was my compensation relative to my peers. They bring you in laterally and then tell you you are overpaid according to market research ( source unknown). If you do get an offer ask what percent you are to market.
    - performance management system is waste of time because you rating is predetermined prior to your review and no negotiations on the number.
    - countless lip service but very little action by upper management.
    - this is an engineering company. Raises are done in tiers. Even though need all functions to run a successful program engineering receives highest raise, technical mgmt next and business mgmt gets the least amount.
    - employees to management ratio too low. Most cases two employees to a manager which adds unnecessary layers and micro management.
    - work life balance is preached but NOT practiced. its frowned upon to take time.
     I

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your promotion and raise practices to attract and retain your top talent which may not be on your high potentials list.
    get all employees on cost cutting mode and not work personal agendas to survive.

Great place to start out, however once you get some experience you need to move on…

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

Pros- Chance to move around and work on different projects
    - Great job security (i.e. if competent, then low risk of losing your job)
    - I always like to say, "Northrop is a great place for a job, but not a career."

Cons- Poor communication (very little information flows down from management)
    - Poor management (company seems very interested in promoting engineers that make horrible people managers)
    - Reactive not proactive (company reacts to market, rather than define it)
    - Company does not value employees (few promotions, lower salaries, etc.). If you want valued, then go to a smaller company where your actions directly impact the company.

Good place to work if you are willing to actively own your career and make known your skills and desires.

(Current Employee)
    Linthicum, MD

ProsLarge Organization with lots of opportunities across many disciplines.... if you are willing to pursue them on your own and you don't rely on just your manager to identify opportunities

Many engineers that are very dedicated to the craft and are the heart and soul of the organization

Some of the functional managers care very much for the welfare of the employees and for the business - be sure to look out for them and try to work for them or at least with them...

ConsLarge Organization... very political - step carefully

Some very opinionated senior staff that yields much influence,some are willing to open up to new ideas, many are not

Advice to Senior ManagementHire 1st line and middle managers that truly care for the employees and want the best for the company. They keep an engaged workforce. Watch for those that are getting into those positions just to move up the chain... they cause some of the active disengagement by demotivating the workforce by too much change and little continuity.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman reviews and ratings in Linthicum, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northrop Grumman CEO Wesley G. Bush. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees.