Northrop Grumman

3.5
1,967 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be quite nonexistent depending on the program and location you are in (in 28 reviews)

• 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

I think the company is doing a great job. They focus on value and by far the most ethical (very important to NG) aerospace company in the business.

Cons

I would keep this review to more of the positive notes on NG. They are still a large aerospace firm that continues to improve on those stereotypes.

Keep doing what you are doing. Management really cares about their employees and knows that they are the assets needed to be successful.

Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Schriever AFB, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Schriever AFB, CO

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunity for learning for a college graduate.

Cons

Very, very little growth and learning for everyone who is not a recent college.

To encourage retainment of seasoned employees, offer more company and contract relevant training and larger salary increases.

Once great, now incompetent management and HR

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redondo Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redondo Beach, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At this point in time, work-life balance is the only good thing about this company.

Cons

About 5 or more years ago, most employees were working hard and had a great outlook on their future. NG used to be a great company run by intelligent engineers. Today it seems like profit is the only thing that matters. We keep seeing shareholders rejoice at their inflated stock prices, and hearing about how the Execs are making millions in salary, yet the engineers doing all the REAL WORK keep having our salary increases frozen or miniscule (1-2% raise) every year. Meanwhile our benefits keep getting cut back as well. So what does this tell the engineers (the backbone!!) of this company? Seek work elsewhere. When you work overtime for weeks/months on end to make a deadline, then receive only a "passing" grade in your performance review, and a microscopic raise, guess what happens next? People either leave for better opportunities at other companies, or work very lazily in protest. Middle and upper management are completely incompetent, as well as the HR department, because if you ask for a raise or promotion, they will promise you everything to keep you working for them, then conveniently "forget" when the deadline comes around.

Quit for the good of the company. And for the higher management, REPLACE the entire HR department and hire better middle management.

Meaningful Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

The company cares about creating a positive environment for employees. Employees are very committed to the mission.

Cons

To remain competitive for the long run, the company has had to make some hard decisions to take away certain benefits and increase the cost of benefits.

New performance management rating distributions are demotivating and are creating undesirable behavior.

great

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

work environment is one of the best

Cons

defense industry is losing employees

Self-Inflicted Turmoil

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary tends to be higher than average. The work can be interesting, if your an engineer. Some parts of the company have attractive benefits such as 9/80 work week and the ability to work from home. The benefit package -- health, dental, etc -- is good (not amazing, but good).

Cons

The company is very decentralized, so the experience in one division (called a sector) is probably not at all the experience someplace else. Reorganizations occur at least every 19 months and the people making the decisions don't (cannot) know all the ramifications of the changes. The upset to people and projects is on-going. A new thing, in my organization, is that only bosses talk in meetings (all on the phone, nothing in person). The people making the decision have NO idea what they're talking about -- they've been briefed by worker bees, but the worker bees are not allowed to talk in meeting -- just bosses talking to bosses. If anyone asked one detailed question (luckily nobody knows any details), they'd be stuck. Probably most frustrating -- although decentralized as a company, the individual organizations are very centralized. A very small group of people makes all the decisions -- so everyone underneath is always keeping their options open so as not to accidentally say the wrong thing. And the small group of people making the decisions can only do so much. So things move very slowly.

My management has instituted a VERY unpopular change to working hours. Given a chance to identify problems, literally everyone in my group identified this unpopular change to working hours as the thing they'd like to discuss. The management refuses to acknowledge the problem or address the request for conversation. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. I hope that engineers have a great career. Because the rest of us are mired in paperwork and politics.

Great benefits, poor salary

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Linthicum, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Linthicum, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule, flexible hours, child-care resources, 100% tuition reimbursement (for job related classes)

Cons

Very rigid promotion structure, the company's "pay-for-performance" motto doesn't really hold up too well since you can receive an above average performance rating but only get the average merit increase

Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Learned a few things about my area of engineering

Good money for a summer internship

Cons

they didn't seem to have enough actual work for me to do

organize and plan better rather than always running around like chickens with their heads cutoff

Good place to work, lots of career advancement opportunities for the ambitious.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Working on difficult problems vital to national defense. Typically great colleagues. Newly instituted performance-based bonus program. Flexible work schedule and hours.

Cons

Pay growth can stagnate with low to mediocre yearly raises. Typically little to no funding for training.

Beef up training from external providers (i.e., not LX training). Young engineers want continuing education and we want more young engineers on our programs. In addition to tuition reimbursement, consider paying for engineers to attend training relevant to the operating unit.

No Upward Mobility

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Little, Stable Company, Education Benifits

Cons

Management doesn't look after its people

Stop being self serving