Northrop Grumman

3.4
1,832 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 131 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Predictable paycheck, management wont fire you if your a sleezebag (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be quite nonexistent depending on the program and location you are in (in 28 reviews)

• 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

good people, lots of bureaucracy

Former Employee - Process Improvement Analyst in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Process Improvement Analyst in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are many happy and friendly fellow employees that making daily routine and interactions enjoyable. Non management positions seem to be low stress. Every other friday you get off!

Cons

There is huge amount of bureaucracy that makes doing anything difficult. Completing the simplest of task can be a slow and long of headache. You get the impression that you work in a sea of molasses.

the good, the bad, the truth

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

program managers are receptive to employee feedback
    Great co-workers, great worker bees, some reminescent of the good old days of Aerojet when it was more design, now it is all red tape and tons of paperwork…

Cons

some functional managers are not receptive to employee feedback
    HR doesn't do a good job of disciplining those managers with numerous complaints against them. they drag their feet and blame the fact that it is "One HR" and pass the buck to Baltimore because that is where headquarters is. Apparently Azusa HR are puppets with no power behind their words of "we will investigate and properly handle your case" (aka, throw it trash)

Fire the bad managers and elevate the whole team by promoting the good performers!

Easy job, low pay. Good for engineers, not so much for business majors

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty easy work for the most part. Nothing too difficult and management has pretty low expectations, which are very easy to exceed. Get a decent amount of holidays and every other Friday off. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Low expectations from management exist because most of the talented people in the finance group have left for other higher paying jobs elsewhere, so the remaining pool of employees can be difficult to work with at times. Low pay for business majors.

Need to start paying more or talented people will keep leaving

Way too much Managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

nothing really. it was alright while it lasted, it does have little moments.... the people

Cons

Different Directions on the same project

Is who you know

Bureaucratic

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time

Pros

Get lost/invisible in a sea of average people

Cons

Get lost/invisible in a sea of average people

Increase responsibilities, accountabilities for those w experience

Mechanical Engineer

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bethpage, NY
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bethpage, NY

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues were fantastic and always willing to help out. I was never afraid to ask for help. I learned an incredible amount about mechanical engineering integration to different aircrafts. Work was classified.

Cons

Of the people I was working with, it was slightly older aged, 40-50 years old. Management would rather have their employees talk to one another rather than pose a question to them.

Management should start hiring young professionals and become closer to their employees.

Northrop Grumman provides a good work environment and benefits

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

For the most part, the people have been great to work with. Lots of strong performers as the weak are either cut or sent on "special" assignments. Good benefits.

Cons

If you're not on the direct side, you are not safe. There have been cuts on the indirect side every year since I've been at the company. Lack of career growth opportunities.

Great work environment!

Current Employee - Program Cost Control Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Program Cost Control Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Responsibilities and opportunities given early on and up to you if you can perform and shine. Great support from managers and fellow coworkers. The opportunity to learn by doing and from others around you can be underrated. Work/life balance is great especially considering the 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off!). Opportunity of visibility is there (get to present your own analysis) and many programs offers the possibility of lateral movements to increase exposure within the company. Overall, a great place to start a career.

Cons

I'd say pay raises are below industry standards and benefits have been reduced over time. You typically need to put in your time to get up in the company...even though your performance speaks otherwise. Many levels of management and multiple bosses can get confusing and feels like there might be too many managers.

Better compensation in the form of pay raises would be nice, though that is up to the director level. Management does a great job to help you get visibility within the company which can lead to movement anywhere in the company.

Northrop Grumman Response

Nov 11, 2014Social Recruiting Lead

Thank you for the 4 star rating and positive review! We supremely value your feedback.

Great work place, friendly environment, salary too low

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Actual work seems to be challenging (if you're lucky enough to get a good tech lead)
    Get great hands-on experience
    Friendly environment
    Great benefits

Cons

Difficult to move up in the company
    Salary too low for skill set
    Some tech leads don't approve of new ideas for more efficient algorithms

Give more recognition awards, promote people, acknowledge them, speed up IT.
    Other than that, everything else seems to be great.
    Honestly, it is a great place to work but salary was low especially when you find out what some others make with fewer skill sets and less motivation.

Not a bad place; not great.

Former Employee - Summer Intern
    Former Employee - Summer Intern

I worked at Northrop Grumman as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship program is just getting started so they're working on bringing in a lot of speakers and organizing events for interns to attend. Work was relatively meaningful and the team was encouraging.

Cons

Bureaucratic and company culture seems to be stuck in the 80s; while it's starting to change, there's definitely a strong presence of office politics and gossip. Business organization also is loosely scattered; while my own internship was a positive experience in terms of work I did and the coworkers I was with, I was one of the lucky ones, as other interns I knew felt dissatisfied and bored at work.

Northrop Grumman Response

Nov 11, 2014Social Recruiting Lead

Thank you for the 4 star rating and positive review! We value your feedback and hope you found your internship experience to be valuable.