Northrop Grumman Reviews

Reset
3.4
Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 136 reviews)

• 40 hour work weeks, on the dot, plus the 9/80 schedule (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is preached but NOT practiced (in 28 reviews)

• I felt a lack of direction from upper management (in 54 reviews)

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Richmond, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Northrop Grumman is flexible and willing to work with your personal needs.

Cons

There is many times you will be asked to work long hours to meet the company goals

Advice to Management

Pay employees overtime when ever they work over time. Contractors always receive overtime and employees are put down for requesting it.

Songton

Former Employee - Technician On Chemical and Biological Systems Seoul South Korea in Richmond, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned, Government projects with little or poor control...

Cons

Not all that Honest, poorly managed

Advice to Management

Honesty, Face Pride & Ownership

3. Good Company but Needs More review when it comes to Fair Market Value

Current Employee - Process Improvement Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Middle management is very willing to listen and work with you regarding career development. Employee Resource Groups and benefits provided are great.

Cons

I have been told that the salary does not match market standards for folks with similar positions in other companies. I have seen many folks leave the company because the pay was not satisfactory.

Northrop Grumman in Richmond VA was a do-nothing job

Former Employee - Director of Creative Ways to Waste Taxpayer Money in Richmond, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cafeteria, big parking lot.

Cons

My job was to roll a rock up a hill in the morning and roll the same rock down at night. The root cause of the problem is a leadership vacuum. Northrop Grumman brought its junior varsity management team to Richmond. Three months was all I could take. If you're interested in developing a career in engineering, stay away from this place.

Advice to Management

Pay more for good managers and get rid of the people who were no good at IT and decided they wanted to take on a leadership role. Give them a rock to roll around; that's something they can handle.

6. Outstanding!

Current Employee - Warehouse Trainer III in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Trainer III in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pay was great and the work enviroment was outstanding!

Cons

The Contract was not long enough.

Project Manager

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get off for family affairs if and when you need to....
    You get to work as many hours over 40 as you would like with no extra pay, no problem!!
    You get to use spreadsheets like toilet paper. You get real good at those.

Cons

If I had another job I would not continue to keep this one as the economy is still not good as we all are aware. This company talks out of both sides of their mouth at best. They only promote the same small circle of people around in circles, make up new job names and move them around. If you don't have a brown nose you will go no where regardless of your skill or experience level. They break ever rule in the book when it comes to employment law. Salary or exempt they work you what ever way suits the purpose. I have not seen my manager in 6 weeks which is normal. He hardly ever calls you much less supports you if you have an issue. If you report a problem about the atmosphere or work habits then you are not a team player. The raises are less than 1% a year for the last several years no matter what your evals says even good evals get hardly anything. They think 60 hours a week is 40 for some reason. Am I just being bitter no this is the opinion of many of my co-workers except many never heard of glass door to post their opinions. They could really be a stellar organization if they would open their ears and eyes. They have a yearly gallop survey that reports the same bad news every year but does nothing to improve the situation. We then have big meetings saying how good we are doing and the stock is great but the money never sifts down to the worker bees. If you are young and impressed by the name come on aboard. if you want a real career that means something and a company that values your opinion then don't waste your time here. You will be disappointed but in Richmond VA they have the run of the town and the only other major player is capital one where they lay you off after 23 months and 29 days. Here we sit come on aboard if you wanna!!

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time with the stupid gallop poles and all those stupid engagement summits. They are pointless as everyone is scared to speak up because they fear being fired if they do.

Its ok company depending on contract

Current Employee - IT Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ok for some but not me

Cons

they talk out of both sides of their mouths

Advice to Management

none as they will not listen anyway

Good company with ability to be great but carrer is limited if you do not have friends at higher levels to help you

Current Employee - IT Support Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - IT Support Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Good Benifits as far as profit sharing and other items like health care coverage etc...

Personally I have been able to get off as needed for personal reasons so that has always been a good thing to have when needed. management is good in that area

Cons

Program Managers make unrealistic decisions based on profit and not reality of how the program actually works at ground level or towards customer needs..
    They expect unlimited hours as in monitoring emails at 9:30PM for 6:30AM directions the next day and this happens time and time again. When do you suppossed to be off work? Mostly applies to salary staff. Many workers work 60 a week minimum and some upwards to 80...a week!!

Management places work leads and and other non-management staff in management types of situations where you have no authority over who they ask you to correct lets say in a employee behavior problem scenario or work not getting work done scenario.

Seems like the same top 15 people get promotions and change jobs while the rest can interview 10 times for 10 different positions but you never are qualified to receive an offer. Basically if your manager does not help you advance then you cannot on your own talent alone. I say this not just me but noticed this many times in our peer group. Interviewing for 3-4 times for a job and there are only two from your program and they then hire the 3 candidate from the outside. you are better off to come from outsie then to be hired from within.

Advice to Management

Profit, while a good thing, should not be the overall and only objective when doing business. Customer satisfaction should be considered because of customer is satisfied then profit will come.
    Middle program management should let lower levels openly communicate with upper management. Even though we may not be at a higher managment level many are still engineer's, PHD's and professionals with many many years of experience that could be useful if used as shared resource rather than ignoring your opinions all together..

Showing 8 of 2,210 reviews