Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Outstanding!

Warehouse Trainer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Pay was great and the work enviroment was outstanding!

ConsThe Contract was not long enough.

IT / Project Manager

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNG does have a very decent benefits package and their profit sharing and the like are very good so the company structure for all is very good. Health care is a little pricy but affordable if you have none. A lot depends on the actual contract you are on because you may inherit extra benefits that other programs might not receive. They also allow you to telecommute if your job is that kind of job which is helpful. You can take off when needed

ConsDownsides: They will work you well over 40 (more like 60 hrs a week) if you are salary and comp time is not really a word that is used much. You just work over. Hourly workers have 50 hours of work and cannot work but 40 so they end up doing task off the clock to provide passing contract metrics. If your manager is not good nothing you can do about it. They have a hotline and HR path (on paper) but you quickly learn they side with the manager no matter how what and don’t have a string of managers that are laid back or dont care because they all cover for each other. You are just stuck with no outlet. They have a million engagement activities to find out why the employees are not happy but if you talk out of turn (meaning say something bad at one of them) you get chastised for it or ignored for 6 months like you are in timeout like a little kid. They truly are only based on cronyism and good old boy tactics. The Program Managers basically keep remaking new groups and self promote each other over and over by making new positions and promoting a leader. A year later they switch things around make more groups and re-divide the same people all over again all the while getting bonus’s. The worker bee stays the same and has no upward path of succession. He cannot get out of the rut he is in. If a SR. manager quits the JR. manager has no chance to move up they will just redraw the remaining managers dotted lines and keep it the same. For your yearly evaluation you might not even discuss it with your boss until it is filled out and 1 day before deadline and if you object they say it’s too late to change it, it’s due tomorrow. If you have workers below you and you are a lead you have no input on their evaluation the manager just makes up the same statements for all of them and cuts and paste it having words like “He was a good worker” when it was a female worker’s form and vice versa. Because the economy is bad and there is only one other major employer in this city you are basically stuck and nowhere to go. You end up staying just because it is a job, not a career!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStock price and dollar performance is not everything, Please listen to the worker bee’s, Why do you think your Gallop pole results are down 3 years in a row on our program??? Listen to the poles and other outlets like this forum. Just because there is a complaint does not make that worker a lost cause or disgruntled, they may actually want better for your company the same as you do!!! Give them a real chance and listen to what they are saying an act on it.

Project Manager

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can get off for family affairs if and when you need to....
You get to work as many hours over 40 as you would like with no extra pay, no problem!!
You get to use spreadsheets like toilet paper. You get real good at those.

ConsIf I had another job I would not continue to keep this one as the economy is still not good as we all are aware. This company talks out of both sides of their mouth at best. They only promote the same small circle of people around in circles, make up new job names and move them around. If you don't have a brown nose you will go no where regardless of your skill or experience level. They break ever rule in the book when it comes to employment law. Salary or exempt they work you what ever way suits the purpose. I have not seen my manager in 6 weeks which is normal. He hardly ever calls you much less supports you if you have an issue. If you report a problem about the atmosphere or work habits then you are not a team player. The raises are less than 1% a year for the last several years no matter what your evals says even good evals get hardly anything. They think 60 hours a week is 40 for some reason. Am I just being bitter no this is the opinion of many of my co-workers except many never heard of glass door to post their opinions. They could really be a stellar organization if they would open their ears and eyes. They have a yearly gallop survey that reports the same bad news every year but does nothing to improve the situation. We then have big meetings saying how good we are doing and the stock is great but the money never sifts down to the worker bees. If you are young and impressed by the name come on aboard. if you want a real career that means something and a company that values your opinion then don't waste your time here. You will be disappointed but in Richmond VA they have the run of the town and the only other major player is capital one where they lay you off after 23 months and 29 days. Here we sit come on aboard if you wanna!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting time with the stupid gallop poles and all those stupid engagement summits. They are pointless as everyone is scared to speak up because they fear being fired if they do.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its ok company depending on contract

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

Prosok for some but not me

Consthey talk out of both sides of their mouths

Advice to Senior Managementnone as they will not listen anyway

Good company with ability to be great but carrer is limited if you do not have friends at higher levels to help you

IT Support Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

ProsGood Benifits as far as profit sharing and other items like health care coverage etc...

Personally I have been able to get off as needed for personal reasons so that has always been a good thing to have when needed. management is good in that area

ConsProgram Managers make unrealistic decisions based on profit and not reality of how the program actually works at ground level or towards customer needs..
They expect unlimited hours as in monitoring emails at 9:30PM for 6:30AM directions the next day and this happens time and time again. When do you suppossed to be off work? Mostly applies to salary staff. Many workers work 60 a week minimum and some upwards to 80...a week!!

Management places work leads and and other non-management staff in management types of situations where you have no authority over who they ask you to correct lets say in a employee behavior problem scenario or work not getting work done scenario.

Seems like the same top 15 people get promotions and change jobs while the rest can interview 10 times for 10 different positions but you never are qualified to receive an offer. Basically if your manager does not help you advance then you cannot on your own talent alone. I say this not just me but noticed this many times in our peer group. Interviewing for 3-4 times for a job and there are only two from your program and they then hire the 3 candidate from the outside. you are better off to come from outsie then to be hired from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfit, while a good thing, should not be the overall and only objective when doing business. Customer satisfaction should be considered because of customer is satisfied then profit will come.
Middle program management should let lower levels openly communicate with upper management. Even though we may not be at a higher managment level many are still engineer's, PHD's and professionals with many many years of experience that could be useful if used as shared resource rather than ignoring your opinions all together..

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman reviews and ratings in Richmond, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northrop Grumman CEO Wesley G. Bush. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees.