Northrop Grumman

3.4
1,806 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 131 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Predictable paycheck, management wont fire you if your a sleezebag (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be quite nonexistent depending on the program and location you are in (in 28 reviews)

• 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

135 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Current Employee - Engineer III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good infrastructure, competent employees, decent salary

Cons

Having to work for someone else

Awesome benefits/salary - great feeling of "community"

Current Employee - Network Engineer III in Camp Pendleton, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer III in Camp Pendleton, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and salary. Attempting to find another position at the end of my contract - still hoping.

Cons

Contracts are hit and miss - can be let go quickly and without much notice.

Be honest about contract dates and when they are ending, giving employees (contractors) time to apply within or outside the company, There is little warning before contract ends unless you are involved in the renewal process.

Not the best experience....

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good for a family like atmosphere and the flexibility it comes with.

Cons

I believe growth is really limited after a couple of years. You start to realize how much politics people play into. Also it's not always about the quality of your work, but more important of how you play the game.

Get rid of the dead weight and hire people that can actually do the work. Need to learn how to be more innovating.

Awful career choice

Former Employee - Program Manager II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is that you don't have to do ANYTHING to be successful in your career. 90% of the people who work at Northrop Grumman show up, shut their office door and wait 9 hours... then go home. Actually most of them only wait 7 hours before sneaking out the side door. Of course, everyone claims to work SOOO many hours. They are truly raping the government and your hard earned tax dollars.

Cons

Management blows. 90% of the employees could qualify for mental disabilities. Offices are unclean and full of animal infestations... I actually once saw a raccoon in my cubicle. No joke.. I came in very early one morning and the raccoon was sifting through my trash can looking for food.. I was shocked. I eventually tamed the raccoon and now own it as a pet.. As much as you can "own" a raccoon.. They really aren't family friendly. I found that out the hard way.

No advice I could possible give would change the terrible attitudes of all levels of management. This company and all its management is defunct and devoid of any talent. Seriously a terrible place to work. SO glad I retired after 35 years of not having to do a single thing.

Good place for learning and development

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

High integrity, genuine desire to deliver high quality products and good pay and benefits. Tools for doing the job are strong.

Cons

Processes need further development. Managerial leadership is spread very thin and often overlapping.

Communicate leadership roles clearly. Invest in training.

Enjoyed working here good benefits

Former Employee - Mission Module Field Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mission Module Field Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, challenging work, working independently, able to branch out and shine.

Cons

Having to Depend on the gov't side for supplies but us behind schedule on maintenance.

Need to work out the working relationship between govt and Northrop on the supply side. It hinders productivity and delays maintenance making Northrop look bad to the customer, US Navy.

As Good As It Gets

Current Employee - Software Engineer V in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer V in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are "Competitive"

Cons

Pay and Benefits are "Competitive"

The Management of this Company is Slightly Better than the Other Seven (7) Aerospace Companies I have Worked For. Not Particularly Interested in Investing In Anything that Is Not Useful in the Next Six (6) Months. Always Looking to Cut Costs But Really Don't Know How to Do That Without Destroying Their Core Competencies. Have Great Faith in the Possibility That Someone Will Pull A Miracle Out of Their Butt at the Last Minute.

Insider view

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Northrop talks a good game. They claim to be a diverse workplace that values women and minorities. Don't believe it. Its for show.

Cons

Women may be at the upper levels for the public eye, but the reality is that there are exceptionally few women in management. They will low ball your salary. They will low ball your promotions. They lie. They overwork everyone, promise the world, never deliver. Their benefits have dropped significantly.

Your HR people do more to demotivate employees than keep them. Your promotional policies are antiquated. You are still an ex-military old boys club. You say you want to attract youth - but you do nothing to support that claim.

typical aerospace. few perks. standard benefits

Current Employee - Engineer V in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer V in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

freedom to perform task with minimal oversight

Cons

holidays, perks and benefits continually reduced.

reintroduce profit sharing to all employees, not just management

Review of company after working 20+ years at NG

Former Employee - Engineering SpecialistConfiguration Analyst/Gen Ops Svc Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Flex Hours, Compensation. Was an work environment that never became stale. Great support for furthering your education and great tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

On a project that was downsizing. Every time on person got laid off, the remaining people had to pick up all the slack. When the 2nd phase of layoffs occurred, those of us that remained on the project were expected to do 2-3 peoples work in our normal work week. Very stressful environment and was like walking on pins and needles every day.

My advise to management would be to take an active roll in placement of their employees when contracts are not renewed, etc.. I am not talking about some group that doesn't know you as a person, or what you have done for the company, but rather those managers that can vouch for you and your value to the company or to another program/project.