Northrop Grumman

3.5
1,896 Reviews

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush
Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance (in 136 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be quite nonexistent depending on the program and location you are in (in 28 reviews)

• 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

193 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Northrop is a good company with very ethical leadership, but limited opportunities for promotability.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman

Pros

Ethical leadership, good CEO, and many interesting contracts. Generally the pay is competitive for the industry, and there is general flexibility in work (provided not working at a government site). Generally the fiscal environment in defense is causing the company to execute long term strategies better than in the past.

Cons

Defense budget tightening is causing the company to shrink which has resulted in fewer positions, lost contracts, and asking people to do more for the same compensation. Overall, the biggest issue with the company is the HR though. They are an opaque organization, soloed away from the actual contracts doing the work, and do not seem to help people advance in the company. They seem disconnected from the rest of the company, aloof on what we actually do, and are not helpful.

Focus HR to be more in line with the P&L and contracts. They need to be more of an advocate for the employees to management as opposed to a disconnected machine designed to give employees as little as possible from the company.

Good experience overall (except last couple of years), good opportunities but be proactive if you find your job at risk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, 9/80 work schedule, work is interesting, opportunities to learn, ease of moving within company, well managed, disciplined, good employee discount program

Cons

Lately, particularly in the last couple of years, the company has focused far more on the bottom line than on developing and taking care of its employees. Reorganizes/realigns often. Work life balance - while my division had every other Friday off, it could have been executed better by staggering schedules rather than having the entire division off so that employees could truly enjoy their day off.

Proactively help employees who are at risk of losing their jobs, offer more in-depth training opportunities, better severance packages, especially for older employees

Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer IV in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer IV in McLean, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working as a Software Engineer in IS was a great experience. NG is very focused on helping employees build their skills and grow their career. Almost every single person that I met there was of impeccable character and was fantastic to work with. The projects were challenging and interesting and I got to work with a lot of emerging technologies. Their middle and upper management all came from an engineering background so they understood what was required to build something of value. Benefits were fantastic and the pay was also on-par with industry standards.

Cons

NG is a HUGE company so some things were a bit on the bureaucratic side of things but that is hardly avoidable with an organization of this size. There was a disconnect between business development and engineering. Sometimes it was hard to find others in the company at large who might be working on the same or similar projects.

Make sure that the business development folks have a better understanding of what is going on with projects, especially R&D, so that those new capabilities can actually be deployed with customers.

Great company

Former Employee - Configuration Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Configuration Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great to work for and chances to grow

Cons

Not much bonus awarded to employees

Award better bonues

Good place to start a career

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Company does care about employee engagement and feedback, with an increasing focus on making it actionable.

Cons

Information is often silo'd between organizations, even those that operate under the same umbrella. Training and learning opportunities aren't as easily gotten as they make it out to be at the beginning. Often is not approved and you have to use your own time, even for industry certifications. Compensation is ok.

Strategy does not seem to consistently flow down. Talent pipeline is flawed, very good candidates often don't even make it to a manager's desk for evaluation.

High Tech and Caring

Current Employee - Aviation Safety Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Aviation Safety Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely competitive in the high tech market place. They take great care of their employees not only with wages and such, but by showing they truly care about me as an employee.

Cons

When the contract is up, you are out. Not very stable, but still a good company to work with.

Become more of a shield for silliness from the higher ups, rather than a funnel.

Northrop Grumman Response

Nov 17, 2014Social Recruiting Lead

Great to hear that you feel cared for as an employee. Thank you for your four star review.

Great for getting started

Current Employee - Accounting in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Accounting in McLean, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to jumpstart your career. Great Support form management and senior level employees. The 9/80 schedule (every other Friday off) promotes positive work life balance. Given autonomy to work on large projects.

Cons

Poor compensation and pay increases. Environment can be pretty when trying to advance your career. Company changes constantly. I have had four managers in the past couple of years.

Improve compensation and pay increases

Oracle DBA 3

Current Employee - Database Administrator III in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Database Administrator III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, Lots of job security. Typical Large Gov't contracting

Cons

No individual advancement unless you jump around. Raises are abysmal, usually fractions of a percentage.

Very pleased with Northrop Grumman, company has very good Benefits

Current Employee - Incident Responder in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - Incident Responder in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mission & Focus has been the one thing that has really impressed me the most.

Cons

Training could be added to improve more hands on with the latest equipment.

Take input from those out in the field.

I am forever grateful for the experience I received working at NGIT.

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Reston, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Like any company, I am sure it depends on the team you end up with, but my experience was excellent. It was a top notch project team that had been together for quite a while and knew their job well. They had excellent benefits, The project was interesting. While I started in testing, once I received my degree in programming they allowed me to make a lateral transition over to development where I got 6 years of invaluable experience.

Cons

When a team has worked together for such a long time, some "imperfections" are learned to be ignored. There were a few people on the team that were very difficult to deal with, but from a pure institutional knowledge and value, impossible to get rid of. It took me quite a while to learn not only how to get over these people's rudeness, but to dish it back out to them to make progress in our communication. Once they learned they would not be able to walk over me, we worked fine, and I think they even learned to respect my contributions.

It would be better to keep your employees more up to speed on the contract situation and where things stand on a more regular basis. The rumors that flew around that place due to lack of information brought the overall moral way down, and didn't really need to. Overall I think it's a great company