Northrop Grumman

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Northrop Grumman provides a excellent work environment with great benefits.

Computer Systems Security Analyst III (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoy coming to work and being able to to work with other strong performers and provide a service to the government keeping it safe and secure by what I do on a daily basis.

ConsLearning the office politics inherit in government jobs, and not only educating yourself on these nuances but learning that navigating around roadblocks in successful mission accomplishment takes a lot of time and energy which often you have to self-learn if your in a remote assignment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in contact with your personnel working solo or small contracts and insure mentoring is a high priority, and that you let the employee know they are important to success and not just dollars earned for the company but in customer satisfaction with the employee working the contract.

routine & average

Intern (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman part-time for less than a year

ProsDecent pay, good reputation, nice employee base, smart people to work with in general. However, a lot of it is defense

ConsI got this job through a matching program at my school, and I was kind of free to do what I want as long as it is related to DSP. I ended up not doing a lot due to lack of guidance.

It is a decent place to work - similar to other large defense contractors.

Engineer IV (Current Employee)
Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI enjoy the work I do mostly because of the technology involved. The small group of people I work with are fantastic and are very knowledgeable.

ConsThe benefits are average, and the bureaucratic red tape is starting to increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on the customer mission. Don't drown us in corporate BS.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steady work but limited career pathway to management

Engineer IV (Former Employee)

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou usually get to keep your job long term if you have good job performance and the contract for which you were hired remains current. NGC has good health benefits and 401k employer matching. After 10 years service you notice a favorable increase in personal leave/vacation. There are also good educational reimbursement benefits and opportunities. Awards (cash) for great job performance are common.

ConsCareer path to management in the technical services sector appears extremely limited for minorities. While the president of this sector is a minority (which reflects favorably on the NGC president - Wes Bush), the rest of management is not as diverse in comparison to other Sectors of NGC. Certain groups of people are promoted to newly created management positions without allowing other highly qualified people to compete for the position because the position is unadvertised.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job at being inclusive of management opportunities to all qualified and not to the select few that you favor and may not be the best qualified.
You say that you are about diversity, we'll prove it.

I have enjoyed working with my Co-workers

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDiverse workforce and dedicated employees

ConsPoor management due to untrained managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote more fro within.

Politics and mismanagement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits and people to work with

ConsToo much he said she said

Advice to Senior Managementwatch out for those who will do harm because of affairs with in ranks

Good company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSupportive of career goals and objectives

ConsI work a lot, but that's my nature

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Working at NG

Senior PM (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNG takes care of its employees. There are many sectors within NG and if you need to grow up the ladder beyond a PM level, you need to bring big business or you should get into the company through an exec referral. Otherwise, your position is pretty much stagnated.

ConsDepends on the project or program you work.

Good at one thing... ripping off the government

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Northrop Grumman full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay and benefits including a nice matching on the 401k

ConsThe contract I worked on was never expected to succeed. We billed a dozen resources in order to tap out the contract when three or four would have sufficed to perform the work. At the end of the contract there was nothing useful for the client to use.
There are so many levels of management it was not possible to determine how many people were between me and the CEO. I stopped counting at 10.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the unbillable layers of management and offer real value to your customers.

Not much opportunity for advancement

Manager (Current Employee)
Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Northrop Grumman full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, decent pay, exceptional ethics. Lots of good training classes. Get to work on some really exciting projects.

ConsConstantly reinventing the wheel. New pay/bonus structure favors upper management. Cost cutting is going a little overboard. Not a lot of room for personal advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northrop Grumman CEO Wesley G. Bush. All 160 reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees.