Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off(in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff(in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done(in 35 reviews)

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Had the opportunity to work for multiple customers in two different divisions

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLots of opportunities to work with different teams of people. Various government customers and locations. Decent benefits.

ConsYou feel a bit like a number, especially if you don't sit at a corporate location. There are a lot of corporate emails that you will get that aren't applicable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotions, bonuses and other incentives to encourage employees. Use technology better to get the right information to the people who need it.

Dont get too attached...

Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood benefits; Good work opportunities if you can find them

ConsJust as the name implies, "beltway bandits"----they dont try to help you find coverage when your task ends, no matter what your loyalty has been.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training

Northrop Grumman provides a excellent work environment with great benefits.

Computer Systems Security Analyst III (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI enjoy coming to work and being able to to work with other strong performers and provide a service to the government keeping it safe and secure by what I do on a daily basis.

ConsLearning the office politics inherit in government jobs, and not only educating yourself on these nuances but learning that navigating around roadblocks in successful mission accomplishment takes a lot of time and energy which often you have to self-learn if your in a remote assignment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in contact with your personnel working solo or small contracts and insure mentoring is a high priority, and that you let the employee know they are important to success and not just dollars earned for the company but in customer satisfaction with the employee working the contract.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Steady work but limited career pathway to management

Engineer IV (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou usually get to keep your job long term if you have good job performance and the contract for which you were hired remains current. NGC has good health benefits and 401k employer matching. After 10 years service you notice a favorable increase in personal leave/vacation. There are also good educational reimbursement benefits and opportunities. Awards (cash) for great job performance are common.

ConsCareer path to management in the technical services sector appears extremely limited for minorities. While the president of this sector is a minority (which reflects favorably on the NGC president - Wes Bush), the rest of management is not as diverse in comparison to other Sectors of NGC. Certain groups of people are promoted to newly created management positions without allowing other highly qualified people to compete for the position because the position is unadvertised.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job at being inclusive of management opportunities to all qualified and not to the select few that you favor and may not be the best qualified.
    You say that you are about diversity, we'll prove it.

Good at one thing... ripping off the government

Software Developer (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood pay and benefits including a nice matching on the 401k

ConsThe contract I worked on was never expected to succeed. We billed a dozen resources in order to tap out the contract when three or four would have sufficed to perform the work. At the end of the contract there was nothing useful for the client to use.
    There are so many levels of management it was not possible to determine how many people were between me and the CEO. I stopped counting at 10.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the unbillable layers of management and offer real value to your customers.

Excellent Company

Program Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis is a very good technology company. If you enjoy high tech challenges then this is the place to try your skills.

ConsAdvancement is minimal in the corporate ranks. But no matter you will have fun with the technology at the lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the engagement survey and concentrate on the corporate culture.

Contractor

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe have a lot of contracts

ConsGovernment is very unstable. Low increases

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Where you work and th contrat you're on matters a lot!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you are on a client site, NG pretty much leaves you alone to do your work.

ConsVERY difficult to move up. The division I was in didn't invest in your career advancement.
    You have to be careful in which division and what contract you work on. Some margins are so tight that raises are very stingy.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure career advancement for your experienced, non-mgt performers.

Overall pretty good experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat benefits, good work-life balance

ConsNo commitment to employees on contacts with the government
    Management heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementLoyalty gets loyalty...

Interesting Experience

Intern (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsExtremely innovative company, very smart and qualified people.

ConsVery bureaucratic and slow moving processes hamper employees ability to do things quickly. Everything needs multiple levels of review and signatures. Something as simple as a new employee getting set up with a computer that can access the internet can take as long as a week.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!