Northrop Grumman

Northrop Grumman Reviews in Woodland Hills, CA

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Northrop Grumman Chairman, CEO & President Wesley G. Bush

Wesley G. Bush

Pros
  • The 9/80 schedule makes it easier for employees to maintain a better work/life balance(in 121 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, 9/80 schedule gives you every other Friday off(in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • 15-23 yrs experience engineers quietly in order to save upper management staff(in 49 reviews)

• Very large company sometimes takes longer to get things done(in 35 reviews)

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent oppertunity for growth and advancement

Engineering Planning Analyst (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsCareer advancement is up to you

ConsToo many oppertunities to mention

Advice to Senior ManagementEven more encouragement for personnel

Quality problems with Military Navigation Units.

Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGreat for gaining experience, in a top rated Aerospace company, if you're lucky enough to work in a department that has a variety of tasks. Lots of great co-workers.

ConsTheir Command Media procedure database looks great from the top level but has become so scattered, disorganized and confusing that most people rely on their own notes to get their job done. The company stresses procedures are to be strictly followed but many are so poorly written that one must rely on others to fill in the actual how-to-do-it details. And one must write their own notes in order to get ensure that the job gets done right.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease just fix your Command Media procedure database. Hire technical writers instead of expecting your average employee to write your procedures. Most of us are not technical writing experts so the procedures that we write are not complete, have known procedural errors, and are not even close to being standardized. They're more like hit-and-miss guidelines.

Make your own career here-it's who you know, for better or worse

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsMobility within company, great people, amazing products and technology. 9/80 schedule, educational reimbursement, health plans, on-site cafeteria, credit union, doc/nurse, health coordinator, employee resource groups (ERG).

ConsPolitics, politics, politics, the "good old boys club" runs rampant, ignorant uneducated management (mismanagement), poor (none) design-for-manifacturability, HR is corporate and on the side of the company not an advocate for employee, NEPOTISM from the TOP down (hiring and promoting incompetent, unqualified people based on bloodlines, personal relationships, shared foreign nationality -hint hint Middle East), harassment and different treatment of women, rewards and awards programs"revamped" designed to minimize opportunities for employees and reduced $ amount of awards, employee reviews based on politics and quotas (allegedly) from corporate (think of that one horrible teacher in college who only gave two A's max no matter the merit), regular layoffs, layoffs based on management politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe leaders, not sheep. Do the right thing and do the thing right, be ethical, hire, reward and promote on merit and potential not on personal relations,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitely a company to work for long term

Systems Engineer III (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

Pros9-80 schedule is awesome. The work we do is great. advanced technologies and management is realizing need to stay with times on test equipment updates.

ConsUnrealistic schedule expectations from Program & Engineering Managers. EM's are totally not respected.

Work Hard, but in the end, just a number

Manager III, Manufacturing (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThere are lots of challenges at the Woodland Hills site with lots of opportunity to shine.
    The products they build are very strong and have a lot of heritage.

ConsAs with most manufacturing, work is leaving California, so be prepared to move or get laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and honest and communicate often to keep the work force from being stressed while working hard.

Financial Analyst Review

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

Pros9/80 work schedule, earned vacation time

Consno training, busy work, good old boys corp, no recognition, crappy raises

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees!!

OK if you want to work for a big company

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsNG is a huge company, so there are many different places to work and types of work to do. I felt that my pay was pretty good straight out of school. Lots of money to throw around, potentially.

ConsBureaucracy galore. Doing anything requires a process, checklist, or form. This does not mean that everything works well or even reliably. Even such things as "improving employee engagement" turn into an exercise in filling out surveys, going to meetings, creating action plans, etc... instead of realizing that employees just want to feel appreciated and valued as people instead of statistics...

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Bad/negative culture and declining business prospects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsPlenty of friendly, talented people plus you can have plenty of job security if your position appeals to you.

ConsThe culture is very negative - a lot of yelling and pointing fingers in meetings. There always seems to be an "us vs. them" perception between different functions causing the teamwork to be horrible.

Depends on Priorities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGood people to work with. Good work schedule. Flexable hours when needed.

ConsNo growth opportunities. Can be an unstable environment. Yearly increases are usually small regardless of your rating. Many re-organizations with little direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes need to pay attention to the people doing the day to day work.

Ok Company

Contracts (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsOk pay and good benefits such a medical, dental, and vision. Also, they offer free membership to sittercity and weight watchers. On-site eatery and medical department.

ConsUnstable work environmnet, low morale, poor corporate culture. It is very difficult to move up unless you know someone and you are a minority.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight now it is a very unstable work environment with major layoffs. It would be nice if more information was given to the employees. Also, morale is very low due to the cut throat corporate culture.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!