Northside Independent School District

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great School District for a First Year Teacher

Teacher (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsAs a first year teacher in this district, I was given a great deal of support from other teachers within my school and the central office. The first year is always the hardest, and I am thankful for all of the support and guidance I was given. I've worked in a couple of other school districts since then, and none have been so supportive as Northside.

ConsIt is a very large school district, so I often felt like just another number within the crowd, but I'm sure that goes away after working there for a few years.

Ok place to work but Directors are very unfair with their employees

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsSecurity is one of the benefits

ConsDirectors or upper Management positions are always absent while being absent is highly discouraged among the employees

The best school district in south Texas

Teacher (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsNorthside offers the best combination of benefits, training, work environment, and pay for teachers in the south Texas region. The district has a clear vision, strong leadership, and trains employees well to do their jobs.

ConsA lot of time and money is spent on assisting the lowest achieving students, to the detriment of the general student population, due to the need to meet state accountability ratings. There is a lot of pressure to make sure your students have a high pass rate on the STAAR tests. The district is slow to adapt and change, as it is a very large organization and change takes time. Teaching certain subjects requires much more time-investiment and can be detrimental to work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow teachers and schools more freedom with technology and digital content; the fact that apps cannot be purchased for Apple devices on campuses across the district is one example of placing a major roadblock to higher student achievement due to too much oversight.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helping children grow

Substitute Teacher Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoy helping children learn and helping them with their lessons and their art projects. Sometimes they just want to tell me more about themselves. I enjoy having time to play with them. They appreciate it when I push them on the swings or play basketball with them.

ConsSome of the challenges working here are when I help the teacher with the children who have autism. Some of the children have trouble communicating with us, but we work hard to understand them.

Very Organized school district. On top of their game.

Librarian (Current Employee)

ProsMany options for Staff development
    Great support system for librarians - mentors for first year librarians, monthly meetings, lots of support from library services in central office

Consno library assistants, some campuses allow you to have student aides each period though

Northside ISD: poor leadership

Educator (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsWhen I started it was the best school district in San Antonio to work for as a teacher.

ConsAs superintendents changed, so did the quality of leadership. the district became more about growth then education. People were hired in central office that did not understand the departments they are over. Power hunger administrators, that were abusive to faculty and more concern for image then education became the thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at the current admin and get rid of the poor ones. Appreciate the faculty and staff more.

If you are a good teacher- you will be taken advantage of and burned out in this district. If not, you will love it.

Teacher (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThis cutting edge district provides a fast-paced environment with high expectations and continual learning opportunities

ConsIn this district, it is acceptable to bog down an exceptional educator and add numerous responsibilities to his/her task load while paying him/her the same as a poor teacher who nothing is expected of. Often, good teachers are forced to take on the responsibilities of other teachers. You don't volunteer- you are volenTOLD.

Advice to Senior ManagementI get that it is all about the kids, but sometimes it is important to consider the employee. If you want to keep your best teachers around, you should make them a bit more comfortable. We should be rewarded for doing well. Many NISD employees do not wish to stand out because they know if they do they will become your workhorse.

It is a nice place to work, I was a substitute teacher so I really did get into the "work issues"

Substitute Teacher-State Certified (Current Employee)

ProsSome school were organized and some weren't!

ConsLike all other jobs it had its up and downs but nothing too serious!

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a nice place to work, I graduated from NISD!

Elementary School Teacher

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsVery Organized, Provides a lot of resources and training, Great reputation. Overall, a very good school district to work for.

ConsNo sense of what actually happens in the classroom by central office employees- expectations are set too high because of this. Because it is such a great school district, employees are under a microscope by media.

Overworked, under paid and no support from administration.

Food Service Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsWeekends and holidays off but the work is very demanding, both mentally and physically.

ConsUnder staffed most days but upper management doesn't care. You still have to do the same amount of work, in the same amount of time. Very low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize your employees are only human. Hire enough people to do the job. Administration should support the staff. Pay a better wage to attract more and better employees.

Worked for Northside Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!