Northside Independent School District

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
3.5

CEO

Northside is a great district

Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Instructional Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Northside Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great and I love working at Luna Middle School.

Cons

The pay for instructional assistants is very low.

On their way down.

Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salaries and benefits are on par with other school districts in the area.

Cons

There is a move afoot to reduce operating costs by reducing the cost of salaries by eliminating any staff member or teacher that is approaching 50 years old. At this point many employees have left and more are being shuffled out. Numerous employee complaints have been made to the state and federal organizations and law suits have been filed. According to one state education official Northside has the highest number of employee complaints of any district in the state. Be prepared for hassles, micro-management, close supervision, and constant counseling and critiques.

Inconsistent

I have been working at Northside Independent School District

Pros

Time off. Alot of time off, not paid, but you'll need the time to regroup pretty often. Some friendly people.

Cons

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Superintendent has good ideas but it doesn't trickle down to the different departments. Technology is decades behind.

Get it together. Get some new people in there. Fortunately, many people have retired this year. Good riddance.

Working through them was great!

Former Employee - Substitute Para-Professional in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Substitute Para-Professional in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy being a Sub. Para-Prof.

Cons

Don't get called every day to work.

none

Great School District for a First Year Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a first year teacher in this district, I was given a great deal of support from other teachers within my school and the central office. The first year is always the hardest, and I am thankful for all of the support and guidance I was given. I've worked in a couple of other school districts since then, and none have been so supportive as Northside.

Cons

It is a very large school district, so I often felt like just another number within the crowd, but I'm sure that goes away after working there for a few years.

Ok place to work but Directors are very unfair with their employees

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Security is one of the benefits

Cons

Directors or upper Management positions are always absent while being absent is highly discouraged among the employees

The best school district in south Texas

Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Northside Independent School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Northside offers the best combination of benefits, training, work environment, and pay for teachers in the south Texas region. The district has a clear vision, strong leadership, and trains employees well to do their jobs.

Cons

A lot of time and money is spent on assisting the lowest achieving students, to the detriment of the general student population, due to the need to meet state accountability ratings. There is a lot of pressure to make sure your students have a high pass rate on the STAAR tests. The district is slow to adapt and change, as it is a very large organization and change takes time. Teaching certain subjects requires much more time-investiment and can be detrimental to work/life balance.

Allow teachers and schools more freedom with technology and digital content; the fact that apps cannot be purchased for Apple devices on campuses across the district is one example of placing a major roadblock to higher student achievement due to too much oversight.

Helping children grow

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher Assistant

I have been working at Northside Independent School District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy helping children learn and helping them with their lessons and their art projects. Sometimes they just want to tell me more about themselves. I enjoy having time to play with them. They appreciate it when I push them on the swings or play basketball with them.

Cons

Some of the challenges working here are when I help the teacher with the children who have autism. Some of the children have trouble communicating with us, but we work hard to understand them.

Very Organized school district. On top of their game.

Current Employee - Librarian
    Current Employee - Librarian

Pros

Many options for Staff development
    Great support system for librarians - mentors for first year librarians, monthly meetings, lots of support from library services in central office

Cons

no library assistants, some campuses allow you to have student aides each period though

Northside ISD: poor leadership

Former Employee - Educator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Educator in San Antonio, TX

Pros

When I started it was the best school district in San Antonio to work for as a teacher.

Cons

As superintendents changed, so did the quality of leadership. the district became more about growth then education. People were hired in central office that did not understand the departments they are over. Power hunger administrators, that were abusive to faculty and more concern for image then education became the thing.

Look closely at the current admin and get rid of the poor ones. Appreciate the faculty and staff more.