Northside Independent School District

Updated September 1, 2014
Updated September 1, 2014
3.7

CEO

Working through them was great!

Former Employee - Substitute Para-Professional  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Substitute Para-Professional in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy being a Sub. Para-Prof.

Cons

Don't get called every day to work.

none

Great School District for a First Year Teacher

Former Employee - Teacher  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a first year teacher in this district, I was given a great deal of support from other teachers within my school and the central office. The first year is always the hardest, and I am thankful for all of the support and guidance I was given. I've worked in a couple of other school districts since then, and none have been so supportive as Northside.

Cons

It is a very large school district, so I often felt like just another number within the crowd, but I'm sure that goes away after working there for a few years.

Ok place to work but Directors are very unfair with their employees

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Security is one of the benefits

Cons

Directors or upper Management positions are always absent while being absent is highly discouraged among the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best school district in south Texas

Current Employee - Teacher  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Northside Independent School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Northside offers the best combination of benefits, training, work environment, and pay for teachers in the south Texas region. The district has a clear vision, strong leadership, and trains employees well to do their jobs.

Cons

A lot of time and money is spent on assisting the lowest achieving students, to the detriment of the general student population, due to the need to meet state accountability ratings. There is a lot of pressure to make sure your students have a high pass rate on the STAAR tests. The district is slow to adapt and change, as it is a very large organization and change takes time. Teaching certain subjects requires much more time-investiment and can be detrimental to work/life balance.

Allow teachers and schools more freedom with technology and digital content; the fact that apps cannot be purchased for Apple devices on campuses across the district is one example of placing a major roadblock to higher student achievement due to too much oversight.

Helping children grow

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher Assistant
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher Assistant

I have been working at Northside Independent School District part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy helping children learn and helping them with their lessons and their art projects. Sometimes they just want to tell me more about themselves. I enjoy having time to play with them. They appreciate it when I push them on the swings or play basketball with them.

Cons

Some of the challenges working here are when I help the teacher with the children who have autism. Some of the children have trouble communicating with us, but we work hard to understand them.

Very Organized school district. On top of their game.

Current Employee - Librarian
    Current Employee - Librarian

I have been working at Northside Independent School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many options for Staff development
    Great support system for librarians - mentors for first year librarians, monthly meetings, lots of support from library services in central office

Cons

no library assistants, some campuses allow you to have student aides each period though

Northside ISD: poor leadership

Former Employee - Educator  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Educator in San Antonio, TX

Pros

When I started it was the best school district in San Antonio to work for as a teacher.

Cons

As superintendents changed, so did the quality of leadership. the district became more about growth then education. People were hired in central office that did not understand the departments they are over. Power hunger administrators, that were abusive to faculty and more concern for image then education became the thing.

Look closely at the current admin and get rid of the poor ones. Appreciate the faculty and staff more.

If you are a good teacher- you will be taken advantage of and burned out in this district. If not, you will love it.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

This cutting edge district provides a fast-paced environment with high expectations and continual learning opportunities

Cons

In this district, it is acceptable to bog down an exceptional educator and add numerous responsibilities to his/her task load while paying him/her the same as a poor teacher who nothing is expected of. Often, good teachers are forced to take on the responsibilities of other teachers. You don't volunteer- you are volenTOLD.

I get that it is all about the kids, but sometimes it is important to consider the employee. If you want to keep your best teachers around, you should make them a bit more comfortable. We should be rewarded for doing well. Many NISD employees do not wish to stand out because they know if they do they will become your workhorse.

It is a nice place to work, I was a substitute teacher so I really did get into the "work issues"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher-State Certified
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher-State Certified

I have been working at Northside Independent School District part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some school were organized and some weren't!

Cons

Like all other jobs it had its up and downs but nothing too serious!

Its a nice place to work, I graduated from NISD!

Elementary School Teacher

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Northside Independent School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Organized, Provides a lot of resources and training, Great reputation. Overall, a very good school district to work for.

Cons

No sense of what actually happens in the classroom by central office employees- expectations are set too high because of this. Because it is such a great school district, employees are under a microscope by media.

Worked for Northside Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!