Northstar Alarm Reviews

Jason Christensen

1. Sales Rep

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orem, UT

I worked at Northstar Alarm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the upper management is great, they have amazing vision for the company and their co-workers

Cons

the back office employees are lacking intelligence

help people achieve more every year

2. It's OK!

Current Employee - Customer Support in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Orem, UT

I have been working at Northstar Alarm

Pros

Flexible culture, very good job for a student. Some days are more fun then others.

Cons

Not a career spot unless you have been here for a while and learn to suck up.

Be open to new ideas and streamline your processes. Everything takes to so long and your management needs to adapt to new ideas that will save time and money.

3. Door to door deception with a good paycheck

Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Former Contractor - Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I worked at Northstar Alarm as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-GREAT money in a short time (if you're good at sales)
    -Great opportunity for younger college students

Cons

-No gaurentee of any money (100% commission)
    -Get put into sketchy situations

5. Unprofessional, bordering on stupidly negligent. Oh and it's actually door-to-door sales

Current Contractor - Marketing Director
    Current Contractor - Marketing Director

I have been working at Northstar Alarm as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Some of the people were pretty cool
    - I guess it's sales experience? -- definitely not the right kind, but I guess you do get better at talking to random people.
    - I suppose if you are one of the very rare people that is naturally talented (or don't mind lying), and don't mind being absolutely abhorred by 99% of people you talk to, you can actually make some money.
    - To their credit, some upper management (maybe the two people that weren't 'independent contractors) did resolve the issue of me getting paid (ignoring the fact that this was a problem in the first place, and it took months to resolve).

Cons

I'll start with a summary if you don't want to read the whole thing:
    - lots of success stories with little proof
    - really skate on the edge of what constitutes 'truth'
    - 100% commission and deductions for housing, shirts, find a way to your target city yourself
    - 'guaranteed' money? No such thing
    - trouble getting paid
    - work 6 days, roughly 8 hours walking door-to-door
    - completely lied about affiliation with Honeywell

Let me start by saying, yes, I could have avoided this job if I had common sense and didn't overlook the sketchiness. But, at the time, I was unemployed and needed the opportunity.

I applied from a Craigslist post offering to work with Honeywell. I got called in for an interview as soon as I submitted my resume. Ended up going to this cool office park with a bunch of rent-an-offices, with my interviewer's being suspiciously bare. I was sold (foreshadowing) a lot of tall tales about how people can end up making a lot of money and get promoted quickly. This was repeated throughout the interview.
    I was to become a 'marketing director', just putting up signs in people's lawns to advertise the company. Simple and easy, we would get paid for each one and make an absolute minimum (something like $1500) no matter what. Each team went to a different city, they rented out apartments for you to stay in and even had fun activities. The guy interviewing me seemed like a cool dude, but he did blatantly lie during the interview (something about how many cars he owned, the number kept changing).
    I asked him about working at Honeywell and he claimed that they (Northstar) had been bought out by Honeywell and worked as a subsidiary. Weird... but I hadn't researched enough to refute this.
    Now all of these things were suspicious enough on their own, together this seemed way too shady. So I googled Northstar and it seemed like a decent company but I couldn't find any connection between them and Honeywell (except that they were a distributor). I was sketched out, but it seemed like a lot of effort for no gain... I waited for the paperwork which looked official too. I would be working as a contractor, get paid commission, and hmm repeated mention of sales?

Anyway, stupidity got the better of me, and I went. The first morning of work after driving 400 miles to get there, I finally hear it from someone's mouth that this is a door-to-door sales job. And I wasn't the first guy to have it broken to them after showing up, this was pretty much every new guy's experience. I saw ~6-10 people quit in front of me within the first two weeks. I ended up leaving shortly after. Why'd I stay so long? I drove 400 freaking miles, I was at least going to try and make something out of it. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20.
    They constantly preached new ways of avoiding people saying NO to you. Is this useful for sales? Yes, but in situations where the person is actually trying to converse/negotiate with you. Not when a door is being shut in your face. Also, we were straight up told that the people we're talking to are idiots and don't know what's best for them. Combine with a fratty, us versus them type atmosphere and I don't think any sensible person would feel very comfortable. There was a lot of using Honeywell's name despite us not having anything to do with them. Some people took it too far, and some homeowners actually complained to the police.
    As for the sales you make, don't forget deductions for your housing (I thought they took care of this?!), your company shirts, and any allowances beyond the norm for the actual sale (basically if you set someone up with an alarm system that properly protects their house, expect to see some deductions). Oh and I didn't see any of this money until a few months after it was supposed to get to me.

-Business 101: If you want people to actually like and TRUST your HOME SECURITY company, hire actual sales people and do some proper advertising. Don't hire pimply college kids to go door-to-door and expect good things to happen. I know that your competitors like Vivint go door-to-door also, but I think it would reflect better to not be one of those guys.
    Free advice -- something I ended up doing to get out of the sun -- call local real estate agents and tell them to get their new clients to sign up and you will split commission with them.

-When your company name is being used, maybe find out the context and who is throwing it around. If people are saying you are owned by Honeywell, that is pretty serious.

- Just stop hiring independent contractors! I get it, you want to save a few bucks and not pay for benefits. Stop being so cheap and just pay an hourly wage to get more competent people.

6. Good experience in the corporate office

I have been working at Northstar Alarm full-time

Pros

NorthStar does a lot to promote a good and fun working environment in the office. Employees that put in extra effort while on the clock will be rewarded. This also isn't a super high stress call center. There are times when calls are backed up, but overall staffing is such that there is some down time. Unity within departments is encouraged.

Cons

Sales is the lifeblood of most organizations. The door to door sales environment in which NorthStar operates (99% of business) creates difficulties being in the Customer Care Department. A lot of customers feel rushed through the sale and don't fully understand what they are buying, and are then held to long term contracts. Call center reps who are extremely good with people and deescalate situations succeed in this environment, and it really can be a fun place to work. If nothing else, it's a good place to improve communication skills!

Aug 11, 2014Marketing/PR Specialist

Thanks for the constructive feedback and review!

7. Good people and product, not the best support

Former Employee - Summer Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Summer Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Northstar Alarm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in pricing means you have room to work. People really want you to succeed. Compensation is fair and acheivable

Cons

Not as structured as necessary for those starting out. Very wide gap between experienced sellers and new employees is inevitable but makes it frustrating for those who struggle

More realistic expectations would cause people to work harder.

Aug 11, 2014Marketing/PR Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to post a review! We appreciate your insight on the structure and expectations - these are both areas where we will look to improve.

8. Best Job Ever

Current Employee - Service in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Service in Orem, UT

I have been working at Northstar Alarm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, great working environment, lots of free NorthStar gear, free lunch and dessert once a month, good pay!

Cons

Some what small so a little harder to move, but really... Only a little hard... Still lots of opportunities here.

Value the ideas of the little guys, they are the ones on the front lines and experiencing and learning about what it is that the customer truly wants. They probably have good ideas as to how to run/do things more efficiently.

Aug 11, 2014Marketing/PR Specialist

Thanks for the response and review! We appreciate your feedback about valuing the opinions and feedback from all employees. We are looking into ways to better our organization and most definitely ... More

9. Great Opportunity

Current Contractor - Advertising Director in Provo, UT
    Current Contractor - Advertising Director in Provo, UT

I have been working at Northstar Alarm as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth, massive earnings potential, equity in your work, always innovating.

Cons

If you aren't self motivated, it will be harder to succeed. Earnings are based on commission, so there is a learning curve.

Keep doing what you're doing!

10. Given the opportunity to grow and advance beyond my expectations

I have been working at Northstar Alarm

Pros

NorthStar alarm is quickly growing and expanding. There is ample opportunity for advancement within a company saturated with integrity in a fun, respectful work environment. In my opinion Northstar offers the best opportunities to its sales and tech staff by giving them the resources and support to succeed.

Cons

The corporate office has no soda machine.

Continue to appreciate the employees who support you and NS will continue to be a great place to work!

11. My experience at Northstar has been great!

Current Contractor - Sales Manager in Fresno, CA
    Current Contractor - Sales Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Northstar Alarm as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Besides the fact that Northstar's compensation is close to, if not, the best in the industry, I love the fact that all of reps receive equity right out of the gates. Unlike stock where u only get paid once upon a sell off of your equity, Northstar's equity is in the form of a monthly residual payment that pays you even before you sell it off.

Cons

If you hate competition, this company/job is simply not for you.

Keep caring for your constituents like you do; it shows.

Aug 11, 2014Marketing/PR Specialist

Thank you for the review! We appreciate your feedback and will most definitely continue to take care of our constituents.

Northstar Alarm Photos

NorthStar employees at the Help Me Grow Utah service event
NorthStar sales reps out for a quick golf!

+ Add Photo