Northwest Airlines

Be The First To
Add Photos

Northwest Airlines President and CEO Ed Bastian

Ed Bastian

Pros:
  • "Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay, hard to advance quickly"
    in 4 reviews
  • "All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Needs Improvement

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

ProsWorking at the airport is always a fun job. Meeting new people and learning about aviation customer service is interesting. You do get discounts on flights, which depending on how much time you have available to fly is a perk. The trade system with other employees is also good when you want someone to finish your shift or start it.

ConsThe initial starting pay. For the amount of work and responsibility that goes into this job, I personally believe it's a joke. And while you do get discounts on flights, they are not as good as they SHOULD BE. Sometimes you find yourself paying the same as passengers. From what I've heard from the senior agents, who have been there 20-25 years, they are not pleased with how many pay cuts have been issued, and have no idea where they will end up in the whole NW DL merger.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the starting pay and work on better flight benefits. Like...how about...really flying FOR FREE.

Working for Northwest Airlines is like riding a Roller Coaster - exciting, moving fast, and scary at times.

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

ProsIn my department, there is constantly a lot going on. I am constantly challenged with new technical problems. Information Services is fast-paced like a small company, challenges me personally and professionally. The people I work with enjoy the work, the industry and being close to the action. My favorite pasttime is vacationing, My wife and I enjoy taking the kids to new places and old places - Florida, New York City, Mexico, Europe, Japan and many other places. It is fun.

ConsThe company is either in feast or famine mode. It's either making very profitable or losing money like you wouldn't believe. This has led to a some layoffs, one bankruptcy, and many occasions where I wondered if I would have a job in six months. I left the company and returned after seven years of working elsewhere. I missed the culture, the industry, and the flight benefits. There are quite a few who have left and have returned. How many companies can claim that?

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open and honest with us and continue to respect us for who we are.

Manage your perception... because its in the gutter.

Analyst (Former Employee)
Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

ProsTravel Benefits. I traveled the world in the 2 years that I was there... many times in first class! Working for an airline allows you to see and maintain friends across the globe. I was able to travel home to see family whenever I wanted free of charge. I met some great people at NWA. The company was heading into chapter 11 right around the time I was hired so there was a huge influx of new hires so making friends in an unfamiliar city was a breeze. I gained valuable experience during my time at NWA and I'm thankful for it.

ConsThe executive view towards management and labor relations is the the textbook definition of what not to do. Granted, the labor unions demands and expectations have been (in my opinion) unrealistic and unproductive. Senior leaders need to reflect on how to better manage perception and manage expectations. Also, NWA recruits from top 10 colleges and universities but has no system to develop talent and retain their best employees. Basically your left to fend for yourself play politics and maneuver. In closing everyone I worked with was professional and really nice. I am thankful for NWA because they gave me a decent springboard to start my career and is the reason I am happily employed at another company.

O yeah its freezing in Minneapolis.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communication!

we are doing what we can in this difficult environment

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Prosnow we are the worlds largest airline and that gives us a great variation to non revenue traveling also we might get a raise
the coworkers are very nice i L A and that makes work so much more fun. teamwork is mostly very good. the company just announced that we are going to grow so i guess our jobs are stable as of right now but as we know that might change any minute

Consour managers are not on our side when the customers complain and the pay is not verry good i qualify for food stamps
as of lately we get a lot of short calls and that puts a strain on my life.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more personal when it comes to time off needed.

NWA should have been the surviving airline.

Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

ProsThe opportunity to travel around the world at little to no cost, until you arrive. That has always been the only motivating factor in working for Northwest Airlines. The airline has lied to its employees over and over and mistreated them for years and has now reached the pinnacle of mistreatment in the lies that have been told. "The best people for the best teams" was how this merger began, but that is not how it's ending. It's all political in who's butt you are willing to kiss. It used to be the "hometown airline" but since it isn't any longer it's hard to find anything positive. The state of MN should have put up a bigger fight against the merger.

ConsTreatment and growth potential; the fact that it is no longer the "hometown" airline in MSP is horrible. NWA should have been the surviving airline, not Delta and it could have been. NWA is the airline with cash available - Delta has none - NWA easily could have taken over Delta, but the CEO wanted the easy way out. The employees and the state of MN have been lied to about how many jobs and opportunities would remain in MSP and now any jobs that make it through the cuts are still going to have to relocate to ATL, and most with a cut in pay, it's a crime.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeechless

Good company, mixed leadership, not rewarded on output and instead rewarded on time there.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

ProsNorthwest Airlines has been around for a long time and there is a lot of history in the company. The industry is constantly growing and changing which can be exciting as well. Also, no one can complain about getting first class round trip to london:)

ConsWork/Life balance is not respected. Management in some departments differ greatly than other departments and there are a lot of disgruntled employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better work/life balance would be nice. It would be great if we were rewarded with more flexibility as well. The job is 8-5 and there are no if's and's or but's. If you have a funeral/wedding/family gathering that might put you in 1 hour late you can't make it up an you MUST waste a 4HR PTO on it.

Divided reviews.

Data Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

ProsI first started working for the company because of increase in salary, great benefits and the ability to travel as much as I can afford and want. Being able to travel to places that I normally would not be able to visit and since my siblings are far away, this has given me the capability of seeing them more often.

ConsHaving to take many pay cuts and benefits has been hard to take. So far I've managed but at times, it has been very discouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember those who work for you. I've experienced some rough treatment in previous positions by hostile and narrow minded management. Be grateful to those who work so hard for less money and benefits.

Northwest Airlines needs to listen to it's employees or it won't be around for long.

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

ProsGood health benefits. Good time off. Good training. We are merging with Delta Airlines soon and will become the largest domestic carrier in the US and one of the largest international carriers. If you like to travel, as an employee you will have access to pass benefits to most areas of the world. In an extremely difficult business climate for small or flegling airlines, the new Delta will most probably survive. We have been receiving profit sharing and incentive bonuses frequently over the past year. For example, you might receive extra pay for just not calling in sick over the summer.

ConsCurrently under alot of pay cuts. All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing. Even though we have a contract and a union, the company basically forced us to take very hefty pay cuts in order to save the airline from bankruptcy. The senior management took pay cuts too, but most employees believe that the very top management did not take enough of a pay cut. This is the typical resentment against today's ceo's. We are told that we have to pay them millions in order to get the best leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for you to take a bigger paycut. Most of all I would say that it's time for you to listen to the rank and file employees re what they need to do a good job. Most of our employees are doing the work of three people. You can't operate indefinitely like that. They call meetings and pretend to listen to your concerns. The next day they tell you that your chance to complain is over and you need to do what they tell you or here's the door.

Don't work for Northwest Airlines!

Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Prostravel benefits, great people to work with, exciting places to visit,

Conslow pay, high stress, away from home and family two weeks a month, difficulties dealing with upset passengers, dehydration, lack of sleep,

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees!!!!

Airlines have become a commodity

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Northwest Airlines

ProsFlight benefits, allows for great opportunity to see the world.

ConsLow pay, so when you do get a chance to travel you can rack up credit card debt... Also the industry as a whole has taken a beating in the last few years and they have not figured out how to change there business model to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that the people are what make the airline of choice for passengers not the bottom line. It is easy to point fingers at all the external factors that have caused the problems. It is time to come up with a revolutionary new business model or become extinct

Worked for Northwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwest Airlines CEO Ed Bastian. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Northwest Airlines employees.