Northwest Airlines Reviews in Eagan, MN

Updated April 30, 2014
3.9

Northwest Airlines President and CEO Ed Bastian
Ed Bastian

Pros
  • Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hard to advance quickly (in 4 reviews)

• All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work culture, Open-door policy, Easy to approach Senior Management

Former Employee - Finance Specialist in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Finance Specialist in Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture, Good work-life balance, Open-door policy, Easy to approach Senior Management, Great perks- travel benefits

Cons

Salary is low compared to other industries, but that's because airline jobs come with additional perks

Great benefits

Former Employee - Analysis Associate in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Analysis Associate in Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefit, great culture... I was so sad NWA has been ended due to the merger with Delta.

Cons

Union environment was not that pleasant.

Great benefits

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Passes to travel, great heathcare coverage, excellent vacation time with lots of flexibility.

Cons

Too large and union structure kept advancement opportunities to a minimum.

Mgmnt hands were really tied for being able to do anything because of the union.

I miss the red tail

Former Employee - Staff Manager, Corporate Purchasing in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Staff Manager, Corporate Purchasing in Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

- Good people (hardworking yet still very social at lunch and after hours)
    - Colleagues and leadership demonstrated intelligence and high levels of competence (I found that lacking at Delta)
    - Driven to challenge yourself and grow
    - Good mentorship and recognition from superiors

Cons

- Was acquired by Delta

NW will be remembered as of the best managed legacy carriers.

Worked at NWA 18 years

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Interesting business domain
    Coworkers very nice, cooperative
    Smart people in the IT group I worked in

Cons

Financially unstable industry
    IT management largely incompetent
    Wastes a lot of money on offshoring, gets poor results

You get what you pay for.

Great place to earn some free flights!

Current Employee - CSA Coordinator in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - CSA Coordinator in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The flight benefits are great. If you like to travel, and are willing to put forth a little time and effort learning how to use the travel benefits, it is well worth it! Being a smaller company, management knows many of the employees, so you're not just a number as in many bigger companies.

Cons

A very competivie industry right now, so pay remains lower than outside the airline industry. But you can far more than make up the difference with flight benefits if you try. There is also uncertainty right now about what will happen as Delta takes over NW, the parent company of Mesaba.

I think management is doing a good job given the curves that have been thrown, i.e. Bankruptcy a couple years ago, takeover by Northwest Airlines, and then takeover by Delta Airlines.

Northwest Management Needs To Make It A Good Place For People To Work.

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

In the past, the reason for working for Northwest Airlines was the travel benefits. Since 1980 there has been a marked decline in the travel benefit. Today, in 2009 most employees travelling standby (i.e. non-revenue) find it nearly impossible to get on flights because of newly increased over-booking policies. Thus, the standby travel benefit is no longer a actual benefit.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Northwest Airlines are:

1. Job insecurity
    2. Non competitive/Low wages
    3. Incompetent Management Staff
    4. Insensitive Management Staff
    5. Out of tune Management Staff
    6. Management by Intimidation
    7. Non-diverse workplace

Dear Senior Management,
    Please take this letter with the sincerity that it was written. You're facing a very serious internal problem with your employees. Internal descension is impeding your ability to progress. Incompetent, insensitive, and out of tune management has a direct effect on your employees moral. With the Delta merger there needs to be a complete house cleaning. This cleaning needs to start at the very top management level. Longevity does not equate to competence. This is 2009 and a global diverse economy and world. Your business and business model must reflect this. As I walk around here in Eagan, Mn in NW Building A, I see no diverse management in the upper levels of the company. What a shame when we call ourselves a global company. Does anyone speak spanish or cantonese or represent those nations? Why are your employees so unhappy? Unhappy employees are not as productive as happy employees. Spreadsheet statistics have proven this. The old days of non-communication, and management by intimidation are OVER. Get serious about making Northwest Airlines a better place/good place for people to work.

Signed,
    A current employee

NWA, it is what you make it!

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Fast paced, exciting and ever changing industry. Whether your skillset be in maintenance, call centers, pilot, IT, customer service or managment, NW/DL has the position for you.

Cons

Working with the handful of co-workers who cannot see the forrest through the trees. That's likely to be the case in most companies though. Because an airline is a lot more than just a service provider for the travelling public, there are a lot of up's and down's that go along with it. When prospective employees submit their resume', they should write down what it is they seek to gain from the airline and keep it for future reference. In most cases, those who complain the most about the airline would likely see they have gotten everything they'd originally sought after, and more.

Keep communication lines open, continue engaging your employees and produce results rapidly.

Manage your perception... because its in the gutter.

Former Employee - Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Travel Benefits. I traveled the world in the 2 years that I was there... many times in first class! Working for an airline allows you to see and maintain friends across the globe. I was able to travel home to see family whenever I wanted free of charge. I met some great people at NWA. The company was heading into chapter 11 right around the time I was hired so there was a huge influx of new hires so making friends in an unfamiliar city was a breeze. I gained valuable experience during my time at NWA and I'm thankful for it.

Cons

The executive view towards management and labor relations is the the textbook definition of what not to do. Granted, the labor unions demands and expectations have been (in my opinion) unrealistic and unproductive. Senior leaders need to reflect on how to better manage perception and manage expectations. Also, NWA recruits from top 10 colleges and universities but has no system to develop talent and retain their best employees. Basically your left to fend for yourself play politics and maneuver. In closing everyone I worked with was professional and really nice. I am thankful for NWA because they gave me a decent springboard to start my career and is the reason I am happily employed at another company.

O yeah its freezing in Minneapolis.

Work on communication!

NWA should have been the surviving airline.

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The opportunity to travel around the world at little to no cost, until you arrive. That has always been the only motivating factor in working for Northwest Airlines. The airline has lied to its employees over and over and mistreated them for years and has now reached the pinnacle of mistreatment in the lies that have been told. "The best people for the best teams" was how this merger began, but that is not how it's ending. It's all political in who's butt you are willing to kiss. It used to be the "hometown airline" but since it isn't any longer it's hard to find anything positive. The state of MN should have put up a bigger fight against the merger.

Cons

Treatment and growth potential; the fact that it is no longer the "hometown" airline in MSP is horrible. NWA should have been the surviving airline, not Delta and it could have been. NWA is the airline with cash available - Delta has none - NWA easily could have taken over Delta, but the CEO wanted the easy way out. The employees and the state of MN have been lied to about how many jobs and opportunities would remain in MSP and now any jobs that make it through the cuts are still going to have to relocate to ATL, and most with a cut in pay, it's a crime.

Speechless