Northwest Airlines

Updated November 14, 2014
3.9

Northwest Airlines President and CEO Ed Bastian
Ed Bastian

Pros
  • Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hard to advance quickly (in 4 reviews)

• All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Northwest Management Needs To Make It A Good Place For People To Work.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

In the past, the reason for working for Northwest Airlines was the travel benefits. Since 1980 there has been a marked decline in the travel benefit. Today, in 2009 most employees travelling standby (i.e. non-revenue) find it nearly impossible to get on flights because of newly increased over-booking policies. Thus, the standby travel benefit is no longer a actual benefit.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Northwest Airlines are:

1. Job insecurity
    2. Non competitive/Low wages
    3. Incompetent Management Staff
    4. Insensitive Management Staff
    5. Out of tune Management Staff
    6. Management by Intimidation
    7. Non-diverse workplace

Dear Senior Management,
    Please take this letter with the sincerity that it was written. You're facing a very serious internal problem with your employees. Internal descension is impeding your ability to progress. Incompetent, insensitive, and out of tune management has a direct effect on your employees moral. With the Delta merger there needs to be a complete house cleaning. This cleaning needs to start at the very top management level. Longevity does not equate to competence. This is 2009 and a global diverse economy and world. Your business and business model must reflect this. As I walk around here in Eagan, Mn in NW Building A, I see no diverse management in the upper levels of the company. What a shame when we call ourselves a global company. Does anyone speak spanish or cantonese or represent those nations? Why are your employees so unhappy? Unhappy employees are not as productive as happy employees. Spreadsheet statistics have proven this. The old days of non-communication, and management by intimidation are OVER. Get serious about making Northwest Airlines a better place/good place for people to work.

Signed,
    A current employee

Don't work for Northwest Airlines!

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

travel benefits, great people to work with, exciting places to visit,

Cons

low pay, high stress, away from home and family two weeks a month, difficulties dealing with upset passengers, dehydration, lack of sleep,

Pay your employees!!!!

Death of a proud airline in the name of stockholders' dividends....

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

This industry affords employees the opportunity to travel and learn about new environments. I have worked here 23 years, and I've seen the world. I know Paris like the back of my hand, and my entire goal as a young person was to see Paris. I have been able to know Paris intimately thanks to Northwest Airlines. Not many careers can give a person a child's dream. It's been a pleasure finding different cultures, foods, and ways of life; I would not give up my memories for anything, and for anyone who is adventurous in nature, this is the place to be.

Cons

The hours can be completely insane, and unfortunately the climate is extremely volatile. The only positions that I would recommend in the environment would be to try to get a mid level management position. I'm a flight attendant, and it has turned into one of the worst jobs in the world. It's been taken from an elite status to nothing more than a lackey who is yelled at incessantly by strangers for any myriad of reasons. Management can buffer themselves from such atrocities and do whatever work their ivy league towers have bred them to do in today's workforce.

Start looking at business as not just business. This mantra that allows senior management to treat human beings as expendable parts of doing business is morally wrong and we've turned a blind eye to it for the last 20 years in the name of making money for the stockholder. Hold yourselves accountable to the world and the the ethics you were most certainly taught as a young person. When you look in a mirror, and if you reach down to the breadths of you soul, do you like what you see? Be honest--new concept.

It cannot get any worse.

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Still not liquidated. The future must be better than the last 10 years. Bankruptcy is hard to go through, and at least they survived. In this environment it is difficult to have a good job with benefits and pay.

Cons

The company has almost no respect or appreciation of employees. Although the market is terrible for airlines, Northwest strategy has always been to beat the employees and compensate them less than standard. They have shrunk for the last several years, so there has been little advancement. Employee morale is terrible. Some of that isn't the fault of nwa, as bankruptcy takes its toll. The money given to the top few for taking a career from the employees speaks a lot about nwa and corporate America.

Quit looking out for yourself and start trying to pull everyone together. Ever hear of Southwest Airlines.

OK to work for. Nothing special

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you get in as an employee benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

If you are a contractor there is absolutely no hope for you depending on the employer you go in with. Difficult to get into NWA as they like to keep most of their contractors as contractors, not convert them to employees.

Mismanagement

I worked at Northwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Went to some pretty good international locations. Most pilots and Flight Attendants were great to work with and hotels were decent for the most part.

Cons

Cut-throat management. Drove the company into bankruptcy and hired scab mechanics. Always maintained an adversarial relationship.

Worked at NWA 18 years

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Interesting business domain
    Coworkers very nice, cooperative
    Smart people in the IT group I worked in

Cons

Financially unstable industry
    IT management largely incompetent
    Wastes a lot of money on offshoring, gets poor results

You get what you pay for.

A negative work environment.

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Some flexibility for trading your work hours or days off. There are flight benefits however it is becoming increasingly difficult to use them. They sometimes offer "convenience leaves of absence" where employees can take anywhere from one day to six months off without pay , sometimes getting to keep medical benefits and travel benefits.

Cons

There always seems to be negative morale, because the company always seems to be in a crisis requiring pay cuts, concessions or layoffs. Many positions require membership to a union even if you prefer to to be a member. They sometimes have forced overtime where you have to stay up to four hours more on your shift. It is very difficult to get holidays off.

Treat all employees the way you want the external customer treated.

Promotions go to very unimpressive game players.

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

A flexible work schedule allows for choices with regards to family.

Cons

Depending on your position you are either the bug or the windshield. Generally neither is great but the windshield goes on without much change. Interesting how employees within the same company have totally different experiences. I am not only "Just a number" but even less. I KNOW that I give more than 90% of the work force. There is no way to get respect or recognition. Those who do, have generally found a way to get what they don't deserve. Almost 30 years and it means nothing and those rewarded played somebody.

You show no signs of wanting the truth.

Northwest doesn't care about good employee relations.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

For Days off, health insurance.

Cons

Management is cut throat, not worried about employee moral.

They would be surprised at how much better their employees would perform w/basics like respect, acknowledgement and better quality of life issues