Northwest Airlines

Divided reviews.

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

I first started working for the company because of increase in salary, great benefits and the ability to travel as much as I can afford and want. Being able to travel to places that I normally would not be able to visit and since my siblings are far away, this has given me the capability of seeing them more often.

Cons

Having to take many pay cuts and benefits has been hard to take. So far I've managed but at times, it has been very discouraging.

Remember those who work for you. I've experienced some rough treatment in previous positions by hostile and narrow minded management. Be grateful to those who work so hard for less money and benefits.

Don't work for Northwest Airlines!

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

travel benefits, great people to work with, exciting places to visit,

Cons

low pay, high stress, away from home and family two weeks a month, difficulties dealing with upset passengers, dehydration, lack of sleep,

Pay your employees!!!!

Good company, mixed leadership, not rewarded on output and instead rewarded on time there.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Northwest Airlines has been around for a long time and there is a lot of history in the company. The industry is constantly growing and changing which can be exciting as well. Also, no one can complain about getting first class round trip to london:)

Cons

Work/Life balance is not respected. Management in some departments differ greatly than other departments and there are a lot of disgruntled employees.

A better work/life balance would be nice. It would be great if we were rewarded with more flexibility as well. The job is 8-5 and there are no if's and's or but's. If you have a funeral/wedding/family gathering that might put you in 1 hour late you can't make it up an you MUST waste a 4HR PTO on it.

Airlines have become a commodity

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Flight benefits, allows for great opportunity to see the world.

Cons

Low pay, so when you do get a chance to travel you can rack up credit card debt... Also the industry as a whole has taken a beating in the last few years and they have not figured out how to change there business model to make money.

Learn that the people are what make the airline of choice for passengers not the bottom line. It is easy to point fingers at all the external factors that have caused the problems. It is time to come up with a revolutionary new business model or become extinct

Northwest Airlines needs to listen to it's employees or it won't be around for long.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Good health benefits. Good time off. Good training. We are merging with Delta Airlines soon and will become the largest domestic carrier in the US and one of the largest international carriers. If you like to travel, as an employee you will have access to pass benefits to most areas of the world. In an extremely difficult business climate for small or flegling airlines, the new Delta will most probably survive. We have been receiving profit sharing and incentive bonuses frequently over the past year. For example, you might receive extra pay for just not calling in sick over the summer.

Cons

Currently under alot of pay cuts. All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing. Even though we have a contract and a union, the company basically forced us to take very hefty pay cuts in order to save the airline from bankruptcy. The senior management took pay cuts too, but most employees believe that the very top management did not take enough of a pay cut. This is the typical resentment against today's ceo's. We are told that we have to pay them millions in order to get the best leaders.

It's time for you to take a bigger paycut. Most of all I would say that it's time for you to listen to the rank and file employees re what they need to do a good job. Most of our employees are doing the work of three people. You can't operate indefinitely like that. They call meetings and pretend to listen to your concerns. The next day they tell you that your chance to complain is over and you need to do what they tell you or here's the door.

Working here can be addicting if you like world domination games.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The corporate culture is pretty responsive and collaborative. Good ideas are taken seriously and rewarded.
    Travel Benefits are great. Compared to many other companies, decisions are usually made for the right reasons. If you are talented or work hard, advancement is a realistic expectation. With locations worldwide, working in a new place is possible.

Cons

Your fortune rises and falls with the cyclical nature of the industry, which is very much tied to uncontrollable forces like the price of oil or the state of the economy. There is still an "us"/"them" attitude between management and labor (on both sides). Minneapolis is very cold in the winter.

Create an atmosphere where "yes men" are not welcomed. Remember that bad news is good news because hearing it is the only way to fix problems. You'll get the clearest picture from front line employees who sense you're on their side.

Opportunities abound but must have a thick skin to work in the airline industry.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The travel benefits are good but are getting tougher to utilize with increased loads. There are a lot of opportunities because the company is so lean. The merger will open up even more opportunities for those already in the company.

Cons

You have to be able to deal with the ups and downs of the industry. All the bad news since 9/11 can be depressing if you focus on it too much.

Be more open with the employees concerning the merger and company information in general. The employees make NWA go and they need to be valued.

A great company in a troubled industry

Current Employee - Aircraft Engineer in Minneota, MN
    Current Employee - Aircraft Engineer in Minneota, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

An empowering management team that gives you the freedom you want, but holds you accountable. Performance and creativity is rewarded.

Cons

The aviation industry in general is challenged. Job security and pay are concerns.

Complete the merger with Delta.

It's not as bad as some people want you to think.

Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The flight benefits are fantastic. Unlimited space-available travel for free (or next to nothing) on Northwest and Delta Air Lines' global network.

Cons

Very difficult to benchmark your success versus other peers. Not much feedback from management.

Success can be made by having a less-conservative work environment. Look at Southwest - they can work hard *and* have fun doing it.

Roller coaster airline career dependant on timing

Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Working a flight schedule allows for irregular work schedule. The good part includes avoiding daily commutes. The bad part might include missing certain family events.

Cons

Sector business volatility is disruptive to many families

Take care of your people

Northwest Airlines Photos