Northwest Airlines

Updated August 31, 2014
3.9

Northwest Airlines President and CEO Ed Bastian
Ed Bastian

Pros
  • Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hard to advance quickly (in 4 reviews)

• All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Northwest Airlines needs to listen to it's employees or it won't be around for long.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Good health benefits. Good time off. Good training. We are merging with Delta Airlines soon and will become the largest domestic carrier in the US and one of the largest international carriers. If you like to travel, as an employee you will have access to pass benefits to most areas of the world. In an extremely difficult business climate for small or flegling airlines, the new Delta will most probably survive. We have been receiving profit sharing and incentive bonuses frequently over the past year. For example, you might receive extra pay for just not calling in sick over the summer.

Cons

Currently under alot of pay cuts. All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing. Even though we have a contract and a union, the company basically forced us to take very hefty pay cuts in order to save the airline from bankruptcy. The senior management took pay cuts too, but most employees believe that the very top management did not take enough of a pay cut. This is the typical resentment against today's ceo's. We are told that we have to pay them millions in order to get the best leaders.

It's time for you to take a bigger paycut. Most of all I would say that it's time for you to listen to the rank and file employees re what they need to do a good job. Most of our employees are doing the work of three people. You can't operate indefinitely like that. They call meetings and pretend to listen to your concerns. The next day they tell you that your chance to complain is over and you need to do what they tell you or here's the door.

Don't work for Northwest Airlines!

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

travel benefits, great people to work with, exciting places to visit,

Cons

low pay, high stress, away from home and family two weeks a month, difficulties dealing with upset passengers, dehydration, lack of sleep,

Pay your employees!!!!

Airlines have become a commodity

Former Employee - Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Flight benefits, allows for great opportunity to see the world.

Cons

Low pay, so when you do get a chance to travel you can rack up credit card debt... Also the industry as a whole has taken a beating in the last few years and they have not figured out how to change there business model to make money.

Learn that the people are what make the airline of choice for passengers not the bottom line. It is easy to point fingers at all the external factors that have caused the problems. It is time to come up with a revolutionary new business model or become extinct

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here can be addicting if you like world domination games.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Marketing  in  Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The corporate culture is pretty responsive and collaborative. Good ideas are taken seriously and rewarded.
    Travel Benefits are great. Compared to many other companies, decisions are usually made for the right reasons. If you are talented or work hard, advancement is a realistic expectation. With locations worldwide, working in a new place is possible.

Cons

Your fortune rises and falls with the cyclical nature of the industry, which is very much tied to uncontrollable forces like the price of oil or the state of the economy. There is still an "us"/"them" attitude between management and labor (on both sides). Minneapolis is very cold in the winter.

Create an atmosphere where "yes men" are not welcomed. Remember that bad news is good news because hearing it is the only way to fix problems. You'll get the clearest picture from front line employees who sense you're on their side.

A great company in a troubled industry

Current Employee - Aircraft Engineer  in  Minneota, MN
    Current Employee - Aircraft Engineer in Minneota, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

An empowering management team that gives you the freedom you want, but holds you accountable. Performance and creativity is rewarded.

Cons

The aviation industry in general is challenged. Job security and pay are concerns.

Complete the merger with Delta.

Opportunities abound but must have a thick skin to work in the airline industry.

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The travel benefits are good but are getting tougher to utilize with increased loads. There are a lot of opportunities because the company is so lean. The merger will open up even more opportunities for those already in the company.

Cons

You have to be able to deal with the ups and downs of the industry. All the bad news since 9/11 can be depressing if you focus on it too much.

Be more open with the employees concerning the merger and company information in general. The employees make NWA go and they need to be valued.

It's not as bad as some people want you to think.

Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing  in  Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The flight benefits are fantastic. Unlimited space-available travel for free (or next to nothing) on Northwest and Delta Air Lines' global network.

Cons

Very difficult to benchmark your success versus other peers. Not much feedback from management.

Success can be made by having a less-conservative work environment. Look at Southwest - they can work hard *and* have fun doing it.

Roller coaster airline career dependant on timing

Current Employee - Captain A320  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Working a flight schedule allows for irregular work schedule. The good part includes avoiding daily commutes. The bad part might include missing certain family events.

Cons

Sector business volatility is disruptive to many families

Take care of your people

Death of a proud airline in the name of stockholders' dividends....

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

This industry affords employees the opportunity to travel and learn about new environments. I have worked here 23 years, and I've seen the world. I know Paris like the back of my hand, and my entire goal as a young person was to see Paris. I have been able to know Paris intimately thanks to Northwest Airlines. Not many careers can give a person a child's dream. It's been a pleasure finding different cultures, foods, and ways of life; I would not give up my memories for anything, and for anyone who is adventurous in nature, this is the place to be.

Cons

The hours can be completely insane, and unfortunately the climate is extremely volatile. The only positions that I would recommend in the environment would be to try to get a mid level management position. I'm a flight attendant, and it has turned into one of the worst jobs in the world. It's been taken from an elite status to nothing more than a lackey who is yelled at incessantly by strangers for any myriad of reasons. Management can buffer themselves from such atrocities and do whatever work their ivy league towers have bred them to do in today's workforce.

Start looking at business as not just business. This mantra that allows senior management to treat human beings as expendable parts of doing business is morally wrong and we've turned a blind eye to it for the last 20 years in the name of making money for the stockholder. Hold yourselves accountable to the world and the the ethics you were most certainly taught as a young person. When you look in a mirror, and if you reach down to the breadths of you soul, do you like what you see? Be honest--new concept.

Great travel benefits, if you won't use them, look for different employment

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Travel benefits, travel benefits, travel benefits!

Cons

I do not feel valued as an employee, feel easily replaced. Leadership is lacking motivation skills and many direct managers micromanage. My department does not feel trusted and everything is checked and rechecked by our direct manager. It is a very negative environment, especially when speaking with the union groups. Benefits compensation are not very competitive with other companies and no tuition reimbursment is offered.

Listen to the typical employee and follow other companys' leads on valuing the employee. It's getting better, but still can improve!

Worked for Northwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!