Northwest Airlines Reviews

1. A great company in a troubled industry

Current Employee - Aircraft Engineer in Minneota, MN
    Current Employee - Aircraft Engineer in Minneota, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

An empowering management team that gives you the freedom you want, but holds you accountable. Performance and creativity is rewarded.

Cons

The aviation industry in general is challenged. Job security and pay are concerns.

Advice to Management

Complete the merger with Delta.

Death of a proud airline in the name of stockholders' dividends....

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

This industry affords employees the opportunity to travel and learn about new environments. I have worked here 23 years, and I've seen the world. I know Paris like the back of my hand, and my entire goal as a young person was to see Paris. I have been able to know Paris intimately thanks to Northwest Airlines. Not many careers can give a person a child's dream. It's been a pleasure finding different cultures, foods, and ways of life; I would not give up my memories for anything, and for anyone who is adventurous in nature, this is the place to be.

Cons

The hours can be completely insane, and unfortunately the climate is extremely volatile. The only positions that I would recommend in the environment would be to try to get a mid level management position. I'm a flight attendant, and it has turned into one of the worst jobs in the world. It's been taken from an elite status to nothing more than a lackey who is yelled at incessantly by strangers for any myriad of reasons. Management can buffer themselves from such atrocities and do whatever work their ivy league towers have bred them to do in today's workforce.

Advice to Management

Start looking at business as not just business. This mantra that allows senior management to treat human beings as expendable parts of doing business is morally wrong and we've turned a blind eye to it for the last 20 years in the name of making money for the stockholder. Hold yourselves accountable to the world and the the ethics you were most certainly taught as a young person. When you look in a mirror, and if you reach down to the breadths of you soul, do you like what you see? Be honest--new concept.

3. It's not as bad as some people want you to think.

Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The flight benefits are fantastic. Unlimited space-available travel for free (or next to nothing) on Northwest and Delta Air Lines' global network.

Cons

Very difficult to benchmark your success versus other peers. Not much feedback from management.

Advice to Management

Success can be made by having a less-conservative work environment. Look at Southwest - they can work hard *and* have fun doing it.

Roller coaster airline career dependant on timing

Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Working a flight schedule allows for irregular work schedule. The good part includes avoiding daily commutes. The bad part might include missing certain family events.

Cons

Sector business volatility is disruptive to many families

Advice to Management

Take care of your people

6. Great travel benefits, if you won't use them, look for different employment

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Travel benefits, travel benefits, travel benefits!

Cons

I do not feel valued as an employee, feel easily replaced. Leadership is lacking motivation skills and many direct managers micromanage. My department does not feel trusted and everything is checked and rechecked by our direct manager. It is a very negative environment, especially when speaking with the union groups. Benefits compensation are not very competitive with other companies and no tuition reimbursment is offered.

Advice to Management

Listen to the typical employee and follow other companys' leads on valuing the employee. It's getting better, but still can improve!

7. This place makes me sick sometimes

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Free flights are the best thing here!

Cons

The brown nosers seem to have the best chance at slacking while you are grinding it out for the same pay.

Advice to Management

Be equal when treating employees. Favoritism is one thing but working us like dogs and then other like pampered queens is another.

How to dodge a bullit.

Former Employee - Captain in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Captain in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

A pilot's career field is very narrow. Northwest Airlines was a good place to work after looking at what has happened at other airlines. A pilot cannot make a lateral transfer.

Cons

As is common in this type of work, my base was not always where I lived. To commute was my choice, so I can't really say it was a major downside. Working conditions were sometimes stretched to the limit of contract and federal regulations.

Advice to Management

Try to play to win, not to not lose. Keep your eye on the ball, not on the other guy. I really feel that some of the CEO's that I worked for, used our airline as a stepping stone to bigger and better jobs. I have nothing but hate for this type of individual. I put in 31 years trying to serve the public and doing the best job I was able. I cannot say that for some Senior Management.

9. Nervous and uncertain times ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

good company with good ethics

Cons

this is currently an industry which is in flux

Advice to Management

keep working to make this company a better place to work

10. Join the airline, see the world!

Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The travel benefits are obviously a big draw. Organizational structure, high turnover, and challenging environment allow for competent people to take on a lot of responsibility early on.

Cons

Below-market pay, benefits, and job security (offset to some extent by travel benefits).

Advice to Management

Don't sell us short.

It cannot get any worse.

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Still not liquidated. The future must be better than the last 10 years. Bankruptcy is hard to go through, and at least they survived. In this environment it is difficult to have a good job with benefits and pay.

Cons

The company has almost no respect or appreciation of employees. Although the market is terrible for airlines, Northwest strategy has always been to beat the employees and compensate them less than standard. They have shrunk for the last several years, so there has been little advancement. Employee morale is terrible. Some of that isn't the fault of nwa, as bankruptcy takes its toll. The money given to the top few for taking a career from the employees speaks a lot about nwa and corporate America.

Advice to Management

Quit looking out for yourself and start trying to pull everyone together. Ever hear of Southwest Airlines.

RSS Feed </> Embed