Northwest Airlines Reviews

Updated August 31, 2014
3.9

Northwest Airlines President and CEO Ed Bastian
Ed Bastian

Pros
  • Good benefits - health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, holidays and travel benefits (in 14 reviews)

• Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, hard to advance quickly (in 4 reviews)

• All employees took major pay cuts recently due to the very difficult business climate our industry is currently experiencing (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This place makes me sick sometimes

Current Employee - Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Free flights are the best thing here!

Cons

The brown nosers seem to have the best chance at slacking while you are grinding it out for the same pay.

Be equal when treating employees. Favoritism is one thing but working us like dogs and then other like pampered queens is another.

How to dodge a bullit.

Former Employee - Captain in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Captain in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

A pilot's career field is very narrow. Northwest Airlines was a good place to work after looking at what has happened at other airlines. A pilot cannot make a lateral transfer.

Cons

As is common in this type of work, my base was not always where I lived. To commute was my choice, so I can't really say it was a major downside. Working conditions were sometimes stretched to the limit of contract and federal regulations.

Try to play to win, not to not lose. Keep your eye on the ball, not on the other guy. I really feel that some of the CEO's that I worked for, used our airline as a stepping stone to bigger and better jobs. I have nothing but hate for this type of individual. I put in 31 years trying to serve the public and doing the best job I was able. I cannot say that for some Senior Management.

Join the airline, see the world!

Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

The travel benefits are obviously a big draw. Organizational structure, high turnover, and challenging environment allow for competent people to take on a lot of responsibility early on.

Cons

Below-market pay, benefits, and job security (offset to some extent by travel benefits).

Don't sell us short.

Nervous and uncertain times ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

good company with good ethics

Cons

this is currently an industry which is in flux

keep working to make this company a better place to work

It cannot get any worse.

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Still not liquidated. The future must be better than the last 10 years. Bankruptcy is hard to go through, and at least they survived. In this environment it is difficult to have a good job with benefits and pay.

Cons

The company has almost no respect or appreciation of employees. Although the market is terrible for airlines, Northwest strategy has always been to beat the employees and compensate them less than standard. They have shrunk for the last several years, so there has been little advancement. Employee morale is terrible. Some of that isn't the fault of nwa, as bankruptcy takes its toll. The money given to the top few for taking a career from the employees speaks a lot about nwa and corporate America.

Quit looking out for yourself and start trying to pull everyone together. Ever hear of Southwest Airlines.

Good place for airline professionals.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Northwest Airlines

Pros

You get excellent discounted or free travel opportunities and you will work in challenging industry gaining great work experience

Cons

There is no job security and long term potential due to merger with Delta Airlines. Compensation is slightly below average compared to other companies of similar size.

Unfortunately, they want to sell the company so what advice can you give them?

worked there 23 years total

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Northwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

people, travel, food, pay, management

Cons

I didn't like to be gon from home.

merge with Delta as soon as possible

Northwest Airlines gone but not forgotten

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Northwest was a very sucessfull company and good place to work. Industry leading technology that customers appreciated. Now a part of Delta

Cons

Northwest was a lean company and at times did not have enough front line employees or enough leadership to provide the best customer service.

Fantastic, hard-working individuals with an ocean of knowledge.

I worked at Northwest Airlines

Pros

Friendly and helpful colleagues, reasonable flight benefits and amazing learning opportunities.

Cons

Overall, I did not find anything wrong with the experience. The only thing that I could maybe mention is that as a co-op, I was not entitled to overtime.

Mismanagement

I worked at Northwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Went to some pretty good international locations. Most pilots and Flight Attendants were great to work with and hotels were decent for the most part.

Cons

Cut-throat management. Drove the company into bankruptcy and hired scab mechanics. Always maintained an adversarial relationship.