Northwest Community Credit Union

Helen Byrnes

Phone Branch Specialist

Former Employee - Phone Branch  in  Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Phone Branch in Springfield, OR

Pros

The people you work with are fantastic and the sense of "member's first" is very good.

Cons

The training is terrible, and there is no sense of being a part of a team. You also are no longer able to dress casually, even though you are in the back office and see no members face to face all day.

Have more team huddles and meetins.

No opportunities for advancement, poor management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Pros

Based on other employes I have worked these are the things I enjoyed about the place:
    *No time clock, they take you at your work you worked what you did. (however this can become a con, depending on the situation which I have been there with them on before and had to get HR involved)
    *About 90% of your co workers (talking about peers, NOT managers) are very friendly, and are here to help you and want you to understand what you are doing. There are a few managers that are the same way, but most don't care and their training SUCKS.
    *If you are into volunteering, they have many opportunities.
    *If you are happy sitting at a place you will be at 20 years down the road, this is the place for you.... although you will be in the same position you started in most likely.
    *Good hours.
    *Absolutely no goals for back office, (unless you work in the phone branch)
    *Pretty laid back work atmosphere.
    *During company events, they feed you snacks or meals which is nice.. They also have prizes (however they will tax you on these)

Cons

*Managers aren't there when you need them. In my department and in most departments around here they are in a meeting all day and have little social clubs or "book clubs" with the door shut and HATE to be interrupted and aren't accessable for questions, overrides, etc...
    *Mangers in my department and departents had NO management training and are very tight with one another and are rather buddy buddy and play favorites amungst one another instead of giving others in the department opportunities.
    *No managerial training.. How it works here, is if you don't know what you're doing they will move you into that position (training is really quite bad here) and it's very much who you know and who likes you. Since you can be qualified for an internal position posting, and they won't hire you. They will amuse you and give you an interview, but have already hired someone else for the position.
    *This credit union UNDERPAYS their employees more so than any bank and credit union in town. They just lowered the starting wages as well this month 5/2012 to min wage for tellers, and a lot of back office positions. A few positions start at $11, but they all max out at $15-20 an hour. This is after we just had a company meeting not that long ago saying that they were going to re-negotiate our salarys to be comparing to others in our area.. then lower them even more.
    *A lot of people don't work and take advantage of how laid back things are and just sit and do a half ass job and collect a pay check. We are also one of the highest credit unions for overstaffing. instead of getting rid of people to pay the rest of us more who do our job, they keep everyone and pay us all nothing.
    *The ability to move up in the company is almost non existant. You can move laterally however sometimes, but that is rare.
    *They also just changed the dress code to business casual. This is fine and all, however it's per department and what your manager likes and doesn't like. This is one example for how they don't treat everyone the same. It's always "Up to your manager's descression" and your manager could be a hard ass and another's not. And your buddy two departments over can wear capri pants and you are stuck in slacks every day. They are like this with everything, if you want a company that has a blanket way of treating everyon equally, it's not here. Speaking of which, in my department your manager might like you and let you get away with something, but won't let the person next to you get away with it since she doesn't like.
    *They Also don't have rules set for everyone, it's always up to your mager and you can't ever get anything in writing so their mood and the wind greatly changes what is ok and not. One day something is OK the next day the same thing won't be.

I think everyone in management needs to go to some managment classes and learn basics such as HR stuff on what you can and can't do to your employees, and how to manage a department. From supervisors to managers. As I said it's very much who likes you and who you know here on if you move up instead of your qualifications. That is my biggest advice is people need to be trained and have management experience.

Great company to work for...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Pros

I only worked there for less than a year, unfortunately I had to relocate out of the area...but the short time I was there was wonderful. I would have loved to stay. They are a very green company, lots of recycling & reusing which I appreciated. They are very involved in the community, & not in the obnoxious way some companies can be...they get their name out there and seem very respected. And there is not a lot of pressure or expectation for the employees to participate by management, everyone volunteers on their own because they actually pick good events & it's worthwhile. I saw a lot of pride from the employees. The managers in my department were the best I've ever worked with...I cant say enough good things about them. Organized, & had great communication. Very respectful & they did not try to babysit & were never breathing down our necks...& that's how it should be. If you hire professional & responsible people, then there is no need to micromanage. They have no time clock here, no annoying clocking in & out which I have to do at my current job & hate it. The benefits were fine, pretty much standard. Co-workers/management/CEO were all very friendly & helpful, I did not meet one person I disliked. All in all, if I could I would go back in a heartbeat.

Cons

Not many...One thing is they enforced a freeze on raises during the time I was there, not sure how long it was going to be for though...but that was pretty much standard during these times in the financial institutions. Most of the CU's I know of were doing that as well.

Nothing I can think of, I think they are doing a great job...keep up the community involvement & events. Maybe offer more informational training for those who want it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work environment

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Only part-time work work available in my area

Never loose sight of what got us where we are today

Worked for Northwest Community Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!