Northwest Farm Credit Services

3.5
Phil DiPofi

1. Great company, great values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Northwest FCS is a great place to work. They have an annual process for individual evaluations and salary increases tied to the company performance. There are a lot of people with long tenure. They focus heavily on customer service and like to hire people who will do the same.

Cons

The current headquarters building is outdated, but there are plans to relocate sometime soon. The programs can be a challenge to learn for staff and customers.

Advice to Management

Management has increased communications with employees and most employees really like that.

2. Northwest FCS is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Northwest FCS is a great place to work. They offer outstanding benefits, encourage outside training and knowledge gathering. A good life and work balance is encouraged (definitely a plus).

Cons

Not many downsides of working for Northwest FCS. The technology is a bit outdated, but they seem to be working to improve that.

3. Credit Officer

Former Employee - Credit Officer
    Former Employee - Credit Officer

I worked at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Northwest really does try to appeal to all of its employees and make things engaging. Their match on 401 k is above most companies. They have excellent vision and action items to promote the direction of the company but after higher management, the vision is sometimes distorted by personal agendas of lower management. The company can be quite flexible in providing different roles to give individuals more experience.

Cons

A handful of "trainers" are TERRIBLE and, at times, unethical! Other trainees and myself literally had weeks go by with nothing to do but ask others if they need help or create projects for ourselves. The company won't succeed unless they get their training program worked out. They do pump a lot of resources into their training program, but each training seemed to come a few months too late. By the time I struggled through everything and figured it out myself, I would go to training a few months later that covered it as well as receive the reading material. They give you a "credit professional test" at the end of your 10-12 month training that they should be administering within 3-6 months. Actually passing the test has no transferable value because it is created internally by NWFCS. Their technology is behind their competitors. Every company you ever go to will say they have wonderful people working there just like how everyone believes they are a good driver, but that is sadly not the case. There are GREAT people that work at NWFCS, but there are too many people that just don't care about colleagues if they aren't on their team. Good luck reporting any ethical issues to HR because they will be slid under the rug. I really wish that wasn't the case but nothing changed on the part of my trainer and it made work very difficult.

Advice to Management

New employees are the lifeblood to any successful business that plans on adapting to change. I know you have "Train the Trainer" meetings but my trainer could care less and said he learned nothing new that he didn't already know. Maybe use incentives for trainers to do a good job. The company still hasn't grasped the vision of internal and external customers.

Northwest Farm Credit Services Response

May 26, 2015

We appreciate your feedback. We’ll use it in our efforts to continually improve as we strive to provide all employees and interns with great experiences at Northwest FCS. We wish you the best in your ... More

5. This is a great company, best I've worked for

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been here for almost two years. No question, this company has the best benefits I've seen . . . 9% employer contribution to 401(k) and family medical paid for, etc. They seem willing and able to pay good employees well, and have an awesome bonus program. What seems unique here is that people get to try different things, way more than in other companies I've worked for. I've met people who have been here a while and they have had the chance to work in a variety of areas doing totally different things. I think that's cool and hope I have the same chance. I saw someone made a comment on here about the HR department. I heard that HR was completely reorganized last year, and everybody there is new except one person. Every time I've dealt with them it's been great. One other thing, I have kids and I have been able to have plenty of flexibility to leave work when I need to. I always get my work done and work from home if I need to, but that's a big deal to me.

Cons

Nothing really. I work with great colleagues, I like what I do, I like working with agriculture clients, and I intend to stay here a long time.

Advice to Management

Maybe it would be nice to meet the CEO someday. The company is doing well so he must be doing a good job.

Good employer and great employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Northwest FCS has high caliber employees and they are an exception group to work with. I enjoyed my work, my co-workers and that I was able to work autonomously with little supervision. The benefits package is hard to beat. The company serves and supports rural America, it's local communities and agriculture, which is a company I was proud work for. The training program for relationship managers, credit officers and appraisers is top notch.

Cons

Little opportunity for growth and advancement for some roles and if you are not open to relocating.

Advice to Management

Better communication from top down. Empower others to make decisions. Decisions can get bottlenecked because too many people have to weigh-in. It impacts productivity and engagement.

7. Unfortunate decisions made by the corporate office.

Former Employee - Non Manager in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Non Manager in Spokane, WA

I worked at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Resume Builder. Line level employees work hard to support each other and keep spirits up.

Cons

Poor HR Management, sub-standard HR Business Practices as directed by Executive Manager, unethical behavior amongst several Executive Managers, overworked staff, lack of respect for most employees who do not have a Senior VP title, lack of internal promotion ability, very limited workplace flexibility in the corporate office.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to look into the behavior of several Executive Managers. Some pockets of business are great, others are deplorable.

8. Northwest FCS is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Credit Officer
    Current Employee - Credit Officer

Pros

Great benefits, hands down the best training program I've even heard of. The company invests a lot in each and every one of their employees.

Cons

The pay may not be as competitive as other banks and lending institutions but it is probably similar if you include all the benefits they offer.

Advice to Management

Higher starting wages.

Good training at HQ, hidden politics within the organization

Former Employee - Loan Officer
    Former Employee - Loan Officer

Pros

Employees are nice but hidden politics still exist.

Cons

Long hours not required but it really is. Looking at farmers records in shoe boxes. Must become proficient in reading tax returns(large part of the job). Policies and Procedures are not complete and do not instruct how to get the job done. Don't ask questions, it will be a sign of incompetence. Farming background is required don't be fooled by preferred. No upward communication, all communication comes from management. Just do your work

RSS Feed </> Embed