Northwest University Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
7 reviews filtered by
3.1
Joseph Castleberry

1. It was okay experience.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Northwest University as an intern

Pros

Community and professors who really care for you.

Cons

School is really small. It is hard to get internship with big companies.

2. Was not hired full-time because I'm Catholic.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Northwest University as a contractor

Pros

The faculty in my department were wonderful and the students really want and deserve a challenging learning environment.

Cons

I was chosen by the dean and faculty for a fulltime faculty position but the president vetoed y application because I am Catholic. Apparently it's totally fine if I work as a part-time instructor, but my Catholicism would be upsetting to the community fulltime?

I am a Ph.D. from a top research university and I *love* teaching my students at Northwest. I am appalled that the reason I was not hired is due to denomination. This tells me that the upper administration does not really value the highest caliber education for NU's students.

3. Best Community to work at

I worked at Northwest University

Pros

Northwest University has a wonderful environment and community to work at. Everyone is very personable and cares about the students. Most of the workers like to see the students succeed and work above and beyond to make sure that it happens.

Cons

Some departments are overworked and this causes friction among different departments

Advice to Management

Continue working on the structure and communication between departments

5. Wonderful environment with friendly people and great interaction.

I worked at Northwest University

Pros

Flexible hours, and a supportive structure to help you thrive with work, and your education.

Cons

limited availability of work, and not enough opportunity to grow in your career.

Advice to Management

Create opportunities for growth, and give greater salaries to employees.

6. Great faculty, but very incompetent staff.

I worked at Northwest University

Pros

Very small institution.
    Everyone knows everyone else, and word spreads quickly if you are good at your job.
    Usually never any issues between employees and their superiors.
    University administration is always willing to hear new ideas.
    Very friendly atmosphere, and education benefits are great (if that's your thing).
    Lots of opportunity to move around in various positions.
    Plenty of potential for creating something new.

Cons

Very high turnover rate (both con and pro).
    None of the departments communicate with each other. The people converse with each other regularly, and are friendly, but when it comes to the paper-trail, the departments simply don't know the basic procedures of any other department, even if it relates to their own dept. This is coming from both an employee, and a former student.
    Moderately underpaid for similar positions elsewhere, though that's not unusual for private universities. However, certain positions (particularly Admissions) are VERY underpaid.

Advice to Management

Get the staff to truly communicate with other departments--particularly student accounts and financial aid. However, keep up the good work between the administration and the staff. It's very easy to get ideas heard (provided they have some benefit). Also, consider looking into why turnover rates in many departments are so high. Don't trust paper--you'll need to send an actual person in this matter.

7. good community, but can't grow

I worked at Northwest University

Pros

good sense of community; people help each other out

Cons

plenty of opportunities for lateral growth, but very few advancement opps

Advice to Management

think outside of your own experience

Toxic workplace for those who value excellence

I worked at Northwest University

Pros

Very good faculty - mostly good staff - nice location - pockets of excellence (academic success, bookstore...) - overall family friendly for employees with some concession to work/life balance -
     some positive movement in the forced exit of some of the worst VP level people (and at least one of their worst cronies) in 2011-2012

Cons

*VP level Administration is wildly inexperienced in management (there is at least one individual who could jeopardize the institution legally for his repeated toxic mismanagement): strong "group think" problems
    *Pay is extremely low for the area for both faculty and staff (VP level however makes good money)
    *HR is bad / powerless
    *voluntary turnover in the last 2 years is very high
    *Finances are shaky enough to cast doubt on long-term institutional viability
    *Chronically underfunded in every conceivable area - "do more with less"
    *Board is gargantuan (30+ to oversee this small school?), totally reliant on VPs/President for info (and are thus given "mushroom treatment")
    *those who care about excellence are seen as "troublemakers" and threats
    *Information avoidance as standard practice - will NOT copy best practices from other IHEs

Advice to Management

Cut Board size to a dozen or less - raise faculty and staff salaries to be on par with peers in area - minimize denominational affiliation (instead of emphasizing) - learn from evidence and hold VPs accountable to peer-based standards for their departments

Northwest University Photos