Northwestern Human Services

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

M. Joseph Rocks

I really enjoyed the time that i spent employed at NHS

I have been working at Northwestern Human Services full-time

ProsThe clients were nice the work was meaningful and easy

Consyou deal with different personalities

A poorly managed company

Direct Care Worker (Current Employee)
Ebensburg, PA

I have been working at Northwestern Human Services for less than a year

ProsIt is better than no job. And usually you can pick up extra shifts, because employee turnover is so high.

ConsThe company seems to value satisfying state requirements more than patient safety, We had to take them on outing in the worst snowstorms of the season.(because the state wants it).

Extremely low pay for the amount of work, and decisions that have to be made 8.25 hr. That is if you are in a permanent position. As needed positions pay considerably higher, but they expect you to be available all the time.

There is no leadership for the individual houses, they do have someone they call a house coordinator , but you cannot call them to ask questions about how things should be done at this particular house. The on call coordinator is to be called for call offs only. A bad point if you are new. So if you make a decision and it is not the one they would have made you are in trouble.

There is a benefit package, but the company pays no portion of the premiums.

There is a union of some sort but it obviously is very ineffectual. When I have ask about things like workman's comp., vacations , and paid time off, no one seems to know anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should have one person scheduled with each new person for one week, from each house they will be working at, to be one on one, instead of just throwing them into this position of no guidance. The training you give does not come close to showing the realities of working in the houses.

Pay some portion of the benefits package.

And in my particular zone, serious revamping needs to be done with the base office staff. There is far to much horseplay, parties, practical jokes going on, and not enough leadership, or guidance for the houses.

And have someone available from each house to answer questions after hours. Having someone from the office does no good. They have no idea what the houses are really like. It is my understanding they are to come to the house and spend time, and they do, but they do not actually assist with the running of the house. They come when the consumers are out of the house, and when they are there, they just do the paperwork and phone calls they would do at the office. There is no leadership here, no teamwork from the top down.

what's good for one but not the other

Nurse (Former Employee)
Southwest Greensburg, PA

I worked at Northwestern Human Services full-time for more than a year

ProsMR IDD consumers are the only reason to protect

Consmanagement very unprofessional---caregivers (dsp) are back stabbing trouble makers

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to see what's going on inyour smaller companies--the hate--the abuse-totally unbelieveable the way your companies are ran..

It is a great company to work for except for the benefits compensation.

Computer Specialist (Current Employee)
Norristown, PA

I have been working at Northwestern Human Services part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe boss is laid back and they are very flexible. The employees are very friendly and the job is not taxing.

ConsThe only cons for the employer is that part-time workers don't get benefits compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Learning & Experience in the IDD Community

House Manager Aide (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Northwestern Human Services part-time for more than a year

ProsMeeting so many beautiful intellectual people. The relationships and networking opportunities that you form.

ConsChallenges you physically, emotionally & mentally.

Advice to Senior ManagementSwitching positions with staff on occasion to see another perspective and view of the company and position.

I found the work environment to be extremely stressful.

Registrar (Former Employee)
Lansdale, PA

I worked at Northwestern Human Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has good benefits such as health insurance and a matching 403b plan. It also offers an opportunity to help clients who are dealing with mental health or substance abuse issues.

ConsIt is very difficult to complete the job assignments in the time allotted. Very often there are not enough employees to meet the needs of the growing client population.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be aware of the unrealistic demands they make regarding time and workload.

Love the work but cant stand what management gets away with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pgh Int ArPort, PA

I worked at Northwestern Human Services

ProsResidents are what keeps you going....if you love what you do.

ConsManagement is insane at all levels. Bad ethics. Game playing. Clicks. Theres an inner circle and an outer circle. This is not all sites in Western Pa...I can only speak for what I experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and practice what NHS values are suppose to be. Take a good look at yourselves. Unethical behavior is shameful.

Do not work here

Case Manager (Current Employee)
Phila, PA

I have been working at Northwestern Human Services

ProsMinimal supervision. No micromanaging. great direct care experience.

Consunorganized, no support from management, poor leadership skills, no support from hr, exec directors with no knowledgeor skills in direct care.

Advice to Senior Managementfire yourselves or hire competent people. we all notice you hire incompetent people to cover your own incompetence.

Know the right people and you will be fine

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Lansdale, PA

I worked at Northwestern Human Services

ProsYou can miss behave not do your job and still be promoted

ConsNo matter how hard you work you are judge by who you know, not what you know

Advice to Senior Managementconduct town hall meetings to get ideas of what works in the field and improve communication

Their mission statement is just for show

I have been working at Northwestern Human Services full-time for less than a year

ProsThe chance to get to help individuals who have no one to help them or provide the support needed is about the only positive thing i can say about the company.

ConsManagement is terrible. The company itself ( the people higher up than team associates) are very unprofessional. The company seems to portray as if they care about these individuals living within their company homes, yet they do nothing to ensure that their clients receive the best service possible as well as their complete necessities. They are manipulative, rude, careless, and inconsiderate to employees not on management level. I definitely would not recommend anyone to apply for the company or for anyone to put their loved ones in their homes. Anybody that is not already in management does not have the opportunity to be promoted and nobody gets a pay raise. Whether you are working for the company for a year or ten years you stay at $9.00/ hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement on corporate level needs to take the time and truly look at and examine every work ethic and morals of the individuals they put in management.

Worked for Northwestern Human Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Human Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwestern Human Services CEO M. Joseph Rocks. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Human Services employees.