Northwestern Mutual
3.6 of 5 1,235 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Northwestern Mutual Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Unlimited income potential and overall good company"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work"
    in 36 reviews
Cons:
  • "You only make money if you sell life insurance policies to your friends and family"
    in 101 reviews
  • "No base salary, Have at least 6 months of salary saved"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tough for young people out of college....

Dallas, TX

ProsThe management team are very helpful and encouraging in letting people grow their practice. The training we all received was a wonderful experience. NMFN gives you all the tools you need to build a successful practice; however, they can only give so much. The rest is up to your work ethic.

ConsSome people consider that our compensation of commissions is a 'con,' but that is up to the person. Hard working and motivated people will love the fact that their earnings correlate directly with their work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a bit more time with the newer reps, especially the ones out of college. Their disciplinary level is different then an incoming career changer. Also, we have to do something to fix the high turnover rate. This is the best way to get a better market penetration.

Great way to gain experience and insite into the financial markets.

ProsVery experienced staff and works with you on the varies aspects of the industry. Would recommend everyone to challenge themselves by working at NM.

ConsCompensation might be slightly lower then peers. And the name branding is not a nationally top tier brand. Many people that you try to sell to will wonder who is this?

Advice to Senior ManagementMake product lines more flexible with the current times to make them easier and better product to sell. And make diverse changes with the times.

OK

Lincoln, NE

ProsInternship paid 100 dollars a week plus the ability to earn an unlimited amount to commission with hard work and motivation.

ConsThe commission is below par compared to other insurance companies and whole life insurance is sold like an investment to every one where there could be better options.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel the training program is rushed and focused on sales before proper training and understanding of jobs is shown.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FR POSITION

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThis career is an incredible opportunity to help individuals, families and business across the country. The career is not for everyone and requires so much of your time in your first 5 years in the business. The training and support is phenominal but, at the end of the day it is up to me to make it work and create a life for my own family while helping others.

ConsThere are no downsides to NMFN . The downside is the work/life balance in the first few years. But, if you can remember why and what you are doing it for you will benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI dont have much advice for management. I truly follow their advice and lead and go out there and help people.

Make sure you know a lot of people in the area!

Financial Representative Intern (Current Employee)
    Middleton, WI

ProsGreat place to grow if you have leads, free to schedule what you want when you want, new reps earn a lot of money from sales

ConsFree to create schedule, only money earned is from commissions

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage networking events!

Absolutely the best company in the Milwaukee area to work for

Systems Specialist (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsVery employee focused company. Everybody feels that they have at least some voice and are encouraged to speak up. The benefits package is second only to government employees (pension, health care, etc.)

ConsLower monetary compensation then similiar positions in the area. There is a lot of red tape involved with making system changes (some of it works really well, a lot of it is more of a hinderance.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak away from rewarding the vast majority of employees the same. Have a little more leeway in providing compensation for the employees on the high end (as oppose to the highest end). Don't be afraid to cut some of the red tape (change management, processes, etc) that hinders more than helps provide system stability.

This is a great, big company!

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsNorthwestern Mutual has great pay and benefits as compared to their competitors. They are also a very stable and professional organization that values each employee's strengths and abilities. The offices are absolutely beautiful and well-kept. Most of the people that I have worked with are extremely pleasant and task-focused.

ConsThe work can be a bit boring at time, due to the nature of the company's product. Also, parking in downtown Milwaukee is not easy. Because it is a big company, it can be easy to get lost in the crowd, especially with so many different buildings and two different campuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire college interns so they do not leave the company!

great first impression

Chicago, IL

ProsReally great people, great atmosphere, great learning experience.

ConsDidn't believe in what i did, hated the way they pushed me to do business with family, hated the cold-calling, hated the fact that they wanted me to come up with my own list of names.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutstanding company to work for if you like the job requirements.

Difficult Place to Work!!

Financial Representative (Current Employee)

ProsNorthwestern has a good industry wide reputation and a great internship program for college students.

ConsEach regional office is a franchise so as an employee you are at the mercy of your managing director. Unfortunately I got a bad one who was extremely negative and had fun putting down employees instead of building up their confidence. As a statutory employee they say you are running your own business. This is not the case after training you must check in for the first 6 months everyday and have to go to numerous meetings all over the state and country. They even expect you to pay for your own way and hotel to the national meeting in Milwaukee. So basically you are treated like an employee without the tax or financial benefits since you are taxed as self-employed at a much higher rate. Also if you quit or are fired in the first four years your commissions are taken away because you are not vested. They try and force you to do joint work by not giving you adequate training so senior reps can steal your contacts and split your comission.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to be stricter with the franchisees(managing partners) as to how they treat new reps. The first week I was there I was verbally abused and had a racial slur thrown at me by a visiting managing partner.

Internship with easy cash.

Financial Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a great training program. They really allow you to get a sense of the business as an intern before and they actually PAY you, which is great. There is no minimum number of hours to be in the office but you do get $100 a week easy just for listening for an hour and a half every Monday. I didn't sell one product throughout the internship, and left with $1000 easy. That paid for spring break. I also liked how helpful they are throughout the internship, making sure your on track. It looks great on my resume as well.

ConsThey put alot of pressure on you to sell sell sell, which is difficult if your balancing college and the internship. Alot of times I would not know my school schedule ahead of time to see if I could miss a class to meet with a client. They also put alot of pressure on me to take a life insurance policy out on myself. I have no income other than my allowance so financially, I could not afford it. This upset them and they stressed the point that I can't sell something I don't own, which is true. I left clean and clear of a committment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe send out mailers and help provide leads.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northwestern Mutual CEO John E. Schlifske. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees.