Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com

Northwestern Mutual Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • If you are one of the few that make it (5%), there is unlimited income potential(in 54 reviews)

• Unlimited earning potential, full autonomy with work(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Will have to sell life insurance to friends and family which could be awkward for some(in 107 reviews)

• No base salary, commission based work is one of challenge for me(in 40 reviews)

Review of NML

Financial Representative (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsYou won't find a better traininng program for an internship. The opportunity for advancement is great. The people are awesome to work with. A ton of special events for interns. If you fit into the financial services industry there is not a better place out there to work with a balanced approach to financial security. Great place to learn industry through mentor programs and "joint work" with experienced colleagues on cases.

ConsVery Delayed gratification and pay, working on commission is tough. As an intern sometimes your age is discriminated agaist with potential clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake tougher standards, MDRT by the 5th year and for interns power of 10 in the first 4 months.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsGreat company with ethical values and strong leadership.
    -Growth Opportunity
    -Income
    -Values
    -Fun team environment
    -Independence but still supported

ConsConsiderable work upfront and delayed pay off. Pay off fair when received. Not for everyone without apptitude to own business and compete.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the support/leadership. Make available training opportunities more known- they are good but relatively unknown. Amazing job at honoring policy holders.

Disorganized and lack of Communication

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGreat on your own job experience but very little training by staff.

ConsLack of communication throughout the Tampa office. The turnover of employees is incredible, even with the staff. When I was there for the short period I was.... I saw a new recruiter come in, a race coach left, and a new rep manager come in. Also, a new assistant joined the ranks all in a couple months.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomewhat good leadership. The managing director definitely was successful in his own right but did not ask, he told. He lacks managing skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

NFMN- For a College Grad.

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSky is the limit. You control your own destiny... You wear a suit to work everyday. You write lives. You have the greatest job in the world.

Once you fail at this job and you interview at other places...most employers will just laugh and not even care that you failed here...because they know what a joke NMFN is.

ConsYou have to pay for EVERYTHING! You really are running your own business. If you don't have friends that are working or that you don't think your friends will give you referrals you might as well not start. The first 6 months are the most important 6 months at that position and if you don't write more than 25 lives...I'd recommend leaving....your just not going to make it unless your writing huge premiums.

Management tries to impress you with nice suits, nice cars, and taking you out for drinks...but I'd ask management to have a new rep take you out and see what you'll be living like for 3-5 years. I'd also ask management to tell you how many reps have quit within the last year. Its a high turnover position.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be honest with reps. Don't try and sugarcoat it. Be straight forward. If you see a kid is going to fail...just cut him. Don't try and make him listen to tapes, and don't have him re-read Granum. Just let him go.

Salesman, nothing more, nothing less

College Financial Representative (Current Employee) Boulder, CO

Proslearn a lot about insurance

Consyou have to sell products to your friends and family

Advice to Senior Managementbetter marketing of products, dont rely on personal salespeople

I was just an intern.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsHow much money you make is up to you

ConsIt is hard to get started. I felt bad for some of the first year employees because some worked extremely hard to gain a few clients. While a few inherited a friend/family member's client list and started day one near the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great company to move up

Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGet what you put in
    Great pay

ConsWeird hours
    hard to get clients
    No real help from veterans

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Don't bother

Financial Representative (Former Employee) Summit, NJ

ProsGot a series 6 and 63 license, plus workplace training for free.

Beefs up resume.

ConsTerrible culture.

The firm uses its financial reps to sell insurance to their personal networks.

Short terms employment, but Northwestern retains all of your clients, then pesters them for years to come.

Dead-end job.

Soul-sucking work that makes you go home feeling guilty everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell run firm, but I would highly advise nobody take the financial representative internship position...ever.

So so place to work

Accountant (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

Prosthe company is famous for free lunch
    many long term employees
    large employer
    some departments offer flexability for working parents

Conslong hours, poor work life balance
    poor communication between management and employees
    turnover increasing among younger employees
    formerly recognized for benefit package, but no longer

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate and respect employees

Leadership Development Needed

Systems Specialist (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsNorthwestern Mutual has excellent corporate programs such as wellness, on-site gym, free lunch, lactation room, discounted Microsoft software, and tuition reimbursement

ConsThe IS departement has a number of managers who should not be managing people. It appears that managers have reached these postions through nepotism and attrition. Northwestern Mutual recently decided to price to market which failed in implementation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor management can severely degrade morale and have a negative impact on productivity. Employee disengagement is on the rise in the I.S. Department and the problem is poor management. Managers don't seem to understand how to grow and develop employees. If changes are not made soon, a mass exodus of talent will soon follow.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!